Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View When did Paul convert?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 5:59AM #1
Kwinters
In Did Jesus Exist, Ehrman dates the conversion of Paul to the early 30s in part of his refutation of the allegation that Jesus was purely a mythical invention.

What have other sources cited as the date of Paul's conversion? 
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 6:54AM #2
davelaw40

The Conversion of Paul the Apostle (anglicized from the Latin Vulgate section title: Conversio Sauli), as depicted in the Christian Bible, refers to an event reported to have taken place in the life of Paul of Tarsus which led him to cease persecuting early Christians and to become a follower of Jesus; it is normally dated by researchers to AD 33–36.[1][2][3]

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 7:03AM #3
davelaw40

If there was a persecution of Christians by the Jerusalem heirarchy-it was early on in the Jesus movements history and ended quickly. 

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 9:03AM #4
JimRigas

Damascus is pretty far from Jerusalem, as people walk.  If Jesus died (and resurrected) in 33 AD, you must allow some time for his followers to be established in Damascus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:53PM #5
davelaw40

Apr 14, 2012 -- 9:03AM, JimRigas wrote:

Damascus is pretty far from Jerusalem, as people walk.  If Jesus died (and resurrected) in 33 AD, you must allow some time for his followers to be established in Damascus.

assume the crucifixion was ca. 30 C.E. (born around 4 B.C.E w/ no year 0)

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 7:20PM #6

According to this chart it's about 35 AD.

Click here for chart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 8:54PM #7
dio

Galatians gives the best history. And Paul does not say Jesus didn't exist. He just wasn't interested in what the historic Jesus was trying to do. Paul was only interested in Jesus resurrection and promised return.

Stephen is numbered the first Christian Martyr. at least 15 years before the famous Council in Jerusalem where Paul presented his Gospel for approval.

I figure Paul's conversion was not long after Jesus' resurrection. Tradition holds Jesus ascended to heaven 50 days after his resurrection. Paul says he was the last person Jesus appeared to.

Paul's conversion had to be quite early.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 9:53PM #8
davelaw40

out of due time

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:50PM #9
stardustpilgrim

Apr 14, 2012 -- 7:03AM, davelaw40 wrote:

If there was a persecution of Christians by the Jerusalem heirarchy-it was early on in the Jesus movements history and ended quickly. 

In 1991 a book was highly recommended to me, The Divine Romance by Gene Edwards. It was most excellent so I began reading other books by Edwards (A Tale of Three Kings is a good start), he's sort of a modern mystic and writer. I chanced upon his book Revolution, the Story of the Early Church 30-47, the first seventeen years, Vol. 1. 1974.

He gives the history of the early church in a sort of historical-novel form. Edwards puts the stoning of Stephen in 38 AD, eight years after the crucifixion. Paul puts himself present at the stoning.

Immediately after the stoning Edwards says the Sanhedrin acted swiftly to begin persecuting Christians (mostly by the 39 lashes) in an attempt to stamp out the church. The Sanhedrin picked Paul (Saul) to lead in the persecution. Word spread quickly and 20,000 Christian left Jerusalem (the disciples stayed but in hiding), virtually overnight, at least in a matter of days. The church was centered in Jerusalem, so the beginning persecution had the effect of spreading the church, everywhere.

As Saul (Paul) had no Christians to persecute in Jerusalem, he asked the Sanhedrin for permission to go to Damascus to continue the job, he had heard that many of the Jerusalem Christians had gone there. Legal permission was granted by the Sanhedrin. We know what happens next. Edwards puts this at 38 AD. As far as anyone knows, Saul/Paul pretty-much falls off the face of the earth for three years, until 41 AD.

Edwards says that with Paul gone, the momentum to destroy the church ended in one to two years, as the Sanhedrin saw that the church was not a threat to them. In 3-4 years Christian began to gather in Jerusalem again.

Excellent book. "A rip roaring, hair-raising, edge-of-your-chair saga of the first century believers. ....alive, vivid, believable......A historical cliff-hanger written like a novel. There is not another book on the first century like it in print .....alive, down to earth and thrilling....." (back cover)

sdp     

The purpose of words is to convey ideas. When the ideas are grasped, the words are forgotten.
Where can I find a man who has forgotten words? He is the one I would like to talk to.
The Way of Chuang Tzu by Thomas Merton

A map is not the territory. Alfred Korzybski
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 11:42PM #10
teilhard

"Saul" didn't "convert" ...

He merely became a "'Jew' for 'Jesus'" (as "Messiah" -- see, e.g., Roman 9-11) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook