Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The rise of Atheism in the US
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:07PM #1
rangerken
Here is an article about he rise of Atheism in the United States. I thuink it is worth reading and discussing...so, here it is.

rise-atheism-america

Here is a key paragraph...

"If growth continues at the current rate, one in four Americans will profess no religious faith within 20 years. Silverman hopes that as nonbelief spreads, atheists can become a "legitimate political segment of the American population," afforded the same protections as religious groups and ethnic minorities. But he's not advocating a complete secular takeover of the U.S. — nor would he be likely to achieve one, given the abiding religious faith of most Americans. "We don't want the obliteration of religion; we don't want religion wiped off the face of the earth," Silverman said. "All we demand is equality."

Comments???

Rangerken
Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:19PM #2
steven_guy

Perhaps not a rise but more of a coming out?

It is hard for me to comment because I live elsewhere, so I won't comment any further.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:37PM #3
teilhard

I suspect that a fair percentage of Americans have ALWAYS been "Religious" mostly or even only in a Cultural Respect ... Such Folks now increasingly feel more free to say in public what they truly think and believe ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:38PM #4
F1fan

In my experience there are many people who have very weak links to any sort of religious affiliation.  They seem to claim affiliation to Christianity and belief in jesus because it is such a common meme.  I think the growth of fundamentalism and what it represents has given some folks a reason to begin pondering why they believe at all.  I suspect most people are alreay non-theists, as they have no active intent or practice in religion.  The more it is accepted socially to reject religious affiliation the more folks will feel comfortable to declare they are atheists.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 12:58AM #5
mountain_man

If Atheists do take over, or at least get a larger voice, Christians would have no worries. While we would like to see a more rational, less religious, society we would do nothing to take away anyone's religion. Of course we would not tolerate the harm caused by extremism, no society should. Most of us firmly believe in an individuals right to believe as they wish (as long as no one is harmed). That comes from empathy; many self proclaimed christians would love to force us to attend a church, they want to force their religion into our lives, our schools, our government.

And as has already been said; many are coming out of the Atheist closet. It's not that Christians are losing their faith, they're just being honest about not believing. As more Atheists speak out it becomes safer for others to proclaim their non belief in public.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 1:37AM #6
JCarlin

Apr 13, 2012 -- 11:07PM, rangerken wrote:

Silverman hopes that as nonbelief spreads, atheists can become a "legitimate political segment of the American population," afforded the same protections as religious groups and ethnic minorities.

Rangerken

I doubt atheists as such will become a political segment of the population.  It would be nice however, and I think it is coming rapidly, if an atheist would have the same rights as Mormons, Catholics, and UCC's to run for political office openly.  Not pushing those beliefs on others like the Mormons and Catholics, but able to run as an atheist not as a religious person. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 2:14AM #7
steven_guy

Apr 14, 2012 -- 12:58AM, mountain_man wrote:

If Atheists do take over, or at least get a larger voice, Christians would have no worries. While we would like to see a more rational, less religious, society we would do nothing to take away anyone's religion. Of course we would not tolerate the harm caused by extremism, no society should. Most of us firmly believe in an individuals right to believe as they wish (as long as no one is harmed). That comes from empathy; many self proclaimed christians would love to force us to attend a church, they want to force their religion into our lives, our schools, our government.

And as has already been said; many are coming out of the Atheist closet. It's not that Christians are losing their faith, they're just being honest about not believing. As more Atheists speak out it becomes safer for others to proclaim their non belief in public.

That's the impression I've had from afar.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 4:38AM #8
Blü

[...] they argue that the religious Right's politicization of faith in the 1990s turned younger, socially liberal Christians away from churches, even as conservatives became more zealous. The dropouts were turned off by churches' Old Testament condemnation of homosexuals, premarital sex, contraception, and abortion. The Catholic Church's sex scandals also prompted millions to equate religion with moralistic hypocrisy. "While the Republican base has become ever more committed to mixing religion and politics," Putnam and Campbell write, "the rest of the country has been moving in the opposite direction."

Let's hope that's based on well-prepared surveys and is essentially true.

And I'd prefer it if activists in the armed services called for trained counsellors rather than 'chaplains'.  'Atheist chaplain' sounds oxymoronic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 5:40AM #9
steven_guy

I read recently that about one third of Australia's population is atheist.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 10:04AM #10
costrel

Apr 14, 2012 -- 1:37AM, JCarlin wrote:

I doubt atheists as such will become a political segment of the population.  It would be nice however, and I think it is coming rapidly, if an atheist would have the same rights as Mormons, Catholics, and UCC's to run for political office openly.  Not pushing those beliefs on others like the Mormons and Catholics, but able to run as an atheist not as a religious person. 

I agree that it would be nice if atheists could openly run for political office, even run for president. Yet I also think that atheists would do well to steer clear of American politics. American politics is corrupt, the gamboling fields of the rich and the arrogant and those with delusions of grandeur, and is little more than an offshoot of American Christianity. In other words, I think that atheists would do well to reject both politics and religion and be not only atheistical but also apolitical. During the last presidential election, I became interested in politics for the first time in my life. Now, four years later, I am concluding that I had made a mistake and that I should have remained apolitical and disinterested in politics and so-called political "solutions." 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook