Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View No love without the supernatural?
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:47PM #11
Ken

Apr 8, 2012 -- 8:21PM, farragut wrote:

Expect no response. This has every appearance of another irresponsible anonymous drive-by.

He has to answer. He's only a level 2 member. The rest of us outrank him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:51PM #12
farragut

Perhaps we should invoke Article 134.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:12PM #13
MidnightCougar

Apr 8, 2012 -- 7:51PM, Blü wrote:

RoeDoe

You asked this before.  Why raise it again?

You expect him to remember getting spanked previously?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 12:42AM #14
mainecaptain

Apr 8, 2012 -- 7:51PM, Blü wrote:

RoeDoe

You asked this before.  Why raise it again?

oh Blu you are sharp. I had not realised, this was a repeat question. And silly, I actually posted in that topicEmbarassed

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 5:00PM #15
JGL57

I love my dog - an 16 year old Aussie named Maggie.

I am an atheist.

Ergo, those who say love is impossible without belief in the supernatural are F.O.S.

Case closed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 5:25PM #16
mainecaptain

Apr 9, 2012 -- 5:00PM, JGL57 wrote:

I love my dog - an 16 year old Aussie named Maggie.

I am an atheist.

Ergo, those who say love is impossible without belief in the supernatural are F.O.S.

Case closed.

AH but the OP would say you are gettihg some kind of "free pass" what ever that means. (where is the eye roll smiley?)

I wonder how the OP feel about non Abrahamic theists. Are they getting a "free pass" too? Where is the opening poster?

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 5:37PM #17
Ken

I'm curious to know why certain theists are so eager to attribute love to a supernatural source, but not other emotions such as hatred, disgust, indifference, boredom, anger, sorrow, annoyance and so forth. I raised this issue the last time Roedoe started a thread, but it was never addressed. It seems to me that unless all feelings require a supernatural origin, none of them do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 5:39PM #18
mainecaptain

Apr 9, 2012 -- 5:37PM, Ken wrote:

I'm curious to know why certain theists are so eager to attribute love to a supernatural source, but not other emotions such as hatred, disgust, indifference, boredom, anger, sorrow and so forth. I raised this issue the last time Roedoe started a thread, but it was never addressed. It seems to me that unless all feelings require a supernatural origin, none of them do.

I was thinking about this yesterday. You are right. If the super natural is responsible for love, it would be responsible for hate anger all the rest you mentioned.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 6:36PM #19
JGL57

Apr 9, 2012 -- 5:39PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I'm curious to know why certain theists are so eager to attribute love to a supernatural source, but not other emotions such as hatred, disgust, indifference, boredom, anger, sorrow and so forth. I raised this issue the last time Roedoe started a thread, but it was never addressed. It seems to me that unless all feelings require a supernatural origin, none of them do.

I was thinking about this yesterday. You are right. If the super natural is responsible for love, it would be responsible for hate anger all the rest you mentioned.

Well, yes, if we assume an ultimate agency behind all of experienced reality then we have opened up a can of worms all of which we will never be able to put back into the can.  Plus more crawl out all of the time.

Thus god - the ultimate inexplicable and unknowable agency - seems the least likely explanation for anything and everything.  Yet many people continue to seem rather attached to the idea.  Go figure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 6:42PM #20
JCarlin

I'm curious to know why certain theists are so eager to attribute love to a supernatural source, but not other emotions such as hatred, disgust, indifference, boredom, anger, sorrow, annoyance and so forth. I raised this issue the last time Roedoe started a thread, but it was never addressed. It seems to me that unless all feelings require a supernatural origin, none of them do.

Actually love is the only emotion attributed to God that is totally unsupported by scripture outside of the Synoptics which as we all know are not Scripture.  All of the others mentioned are given full coverage in gory detail.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook