Page 42 of 87  •  Prev 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 87 Next
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:43PM #411
Blü

jlb

You are utterly impoverished about the discipline of forensic debate.  Furthermore, I have set your arguments in my crosshairs and will attack them with gusto from here on out until everyone sees them for the pretentiously fraudulent twaddle that they are.

Poor old jlb!

The intellectual challenge you pose is fairly sampled in your immortal dictum -

Submission to another doesn’t entail inequality.

Moderated by Adelphe on May 09, 2012 - 11:47AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 07, 2012 - 11:58PM #412
Ed.W

May 7, 2012 -- 11:43PM, Blü wrote:

jlb

You are utterly impoverished about the discipline of forensic debate.  Furthermore, I have set your arguments in my crosshairs and will attack them with gusto from here on out until everyone sees them for the pretentiously fraudulent twaddle that they are.

Poor old jlb!

The intellectual challenge you pose is fairly sampled in your immortal dictum -

He thinks he has a faux pas here, JLB.....   To him submission has to do with who's on top.  Authority has to do with getting permission.

Teach us, Blu!

(And btw, you have some replies to which you have yet to respond, just sayin'.)

Moderated by Adelphe on May 09, 2012 - 11:47AM
‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:05AM #413
Blü

Ed

You can't even work out when you've wholly adopted jlb's position and when you haven't.

You two make a natural pair.

But that's enough fun.

Bye.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 1:09AM #414
Ed.W

May 6, 2012 -- 12:53PM, jlb32168 wrote:

I was reading a piece by John Piper, and it seems he agrees with you.  He is getting ready to pass the torch and fade into retirement, and this sentence made me think of our friend here, JLB:

Piper:  "That kind of leadership does not happen without one chief among equals leading the way."

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 6:50AM #415
jlb32168

May 7, 2012 -- 11:43PM, Blü wrote:

Poor old jlb!  The intellectual challenge you pose is fairly sampled in your immortal dictum -  Submission to another doesn’t entail inequality.

eeYeah - Bill Clinton and Barak Obama and I receive equal protection under law, according to the 14th Amendment.    We're also "created equal" according to the DoI and the Constitutions of several US states.  Social Contract theory says that I willingly submit to their authority in order to guarantee my rights of life, liberty, and to amass material wealth.  I can always emigrate elsewhere if I no longer wish to submit to their authority.

Not only are you impoverished when it comes to forensic debate, you apparently know little about the social sciences/studies as well.

In addition to that, your facile dismissal of other people’s points suggests that don’t wish to address opposing points because:

A)  you would have to interpret the texts so that they comport with your arguments;

however,

B) when others did just that, you reclassified their arguments as fallacious, inventing the stupidest names for fallacies I’ve ever heard. 

C) You’d be showing your own special pleading, that is, you exempt your own arguments from the same scrutiny by which you judge other people’s arguments.

[smile]

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 11:29AM #416
tfvespasianus

May 8, 2012 -- 6:50AM, jlb32168 wrote:

A)  you would have to interpret the texts so that they comport with your arguments;

however,

B) when others did just that, you reclassified their arguments as fallacious, inventing the stupidest names for fallacies I’ve ever heard. 

C) You’d be showing your own special pleading, that is, you exempt your own arguments from the same scrutiny by which you judge other people’s arguments.

[smile]

jlb,

I recently heard the phrase 'hermeneutical ventriloquism' used to describe an idiosyncratic/disingenuous way of getting the text to say what you'd prefer it said. Feel free to use it when appropriate.
Ubi solitudinem faciunt pacem appellant - Tacitus
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:04PM #417
Ed.W

I think worth noting is that Jesus never emphatically denied he was God.

Jesus knew that's what the rumor was, he was accused of "making himself to be God" by every other group he addressed.  He had to hide at times, run for his life at times, stay out of town at times, all because he was being called a blasphemer, and he knew why they called him that.

So is there a plausible reason why Jesus wouldn't at some point in his ministry put an end to the this false idea that he is God?  Wouldn't there be a series of verses where Jesus addresses this?  Why would he let a false notion continue?  Even at risk to his own peace and safety?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 12:17PM #418
jlb32168

May 8, 2012 -- 11:29AM, tfvespasianus wrote:

I recently heard the phrase 'hermeneutical ventriloquism' used to describe an idiosyncratic/disingenuous way of getting the text to say what you'd prefer it said. Feel free to use it when appropriate.

I like the concept.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 1:14PM #419
Miguel_de_servet

May 8, 2012 -- 12:17PM, jlb32168 wrote:

May 8, 2012 -- 11:29AM, tfvespasianus wrote:

I like the concept.

Perhaps jlb could start applying the concept that he seems to like so much to his own spin ... er ... take on Acts 2:25-28 and on the OT prophetic passage therein quoted by Peter, Ps 16:8-11 ... EmbarassedSurprisedYellCool

MdS

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 08, 2012 - 11:58PM #420
Blü

Ed

I think worth noting is that Jesus never emphatically denied he was God.

He repeated denied he was Yahweh.

But he never denied he was Aphrodite.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 42 of 87  •  Prev 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 87 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook