Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 7:23AM #11
quandampaupere

Good Morning. Never thought that the people in Rome had to approve my prayer life, LOL.

Of course, this points in a way to the great tragedy of the RC Church sqaandering the rich heritage and history of intimate prayer and the need to bring others to such prayer...

Speaking of prayer on Good Friday, one place for old people like me which might be helpful is a vocal on Psalm 51: Go to Daily Office of Saint Claire on google. Hit calendar date. Choral group: the Sixteen does a good job. 

One Rhode Island State Legislator was getting publically hassled from his local bishop about how he voted on an array in issues. He replied: "The Roman Catholic Church is an invited guest in my relationship with God" Implying thqt he could always resind the invitation. A tragic but for some of us, a necessary option. I would rather face Divine Judgment from Almighty God on the last day than face judgment from some Roman Catholics that I know, and from the church that I left. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 9:00AM #12
newsjunkie

Bless me, B-net friends, for I have sinned. I considered answering the question "why the push for confession?" with "because priests haven't been getting enough kids in the booth to abuse."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 11:55AM #13
gilg

Apr 5, 2012 -- 6:42PM, quandampaupere wrote:

During my grad school days, I attended a few general absolution services which were, in my opinion anyway, sacramentally rich and most substantial. They were conducted by ordained Roman Catholic priests for anyone at the university and wider community.  Of course, in due time, the vatican outlawed these services except for some very narrow exceptions. Just as they outlawed home masses.

Apparently, sacramentality can only exist within their version of what it is all about. Hell, we could throw out half of the Book of Acts from the bible if those guys had their institutional [read: MONOPOLY] way.

So today I ask for much needed forgiveness directly from God in my private prayer life.   

Quandam...

Did the Vatican really outlaw home masses? 

Mo,

But are you sure your private prayer life has been Vatican approved?

LOL!  I guess they really believe God does their will.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 11:30AM #14
quondamonachus

During my campus chaplaincy days I came across a number of students who, for psychological reasons or bad experiences with confessors, simply could not bring themselves to go to confession; but they were decent and earnest folks. I advised them to say an Act of Contrition with a resolve to lead an authentic life. Their very audible sigh of relief spoke volumes.

A priest friend of mine (now retired) encountered the same issue when he was a pastor, so he initiated regular general confession services. As you might have expected when word got out he was called on the carpet by the chancery. He found that theological reasons didn't go over with the PTB, but that pastoral arguments did (keeps parishioners, etc.). He finally convinced them, and resumed his general confession services.

IMO, much ado about nothing. The Kyrie rite is enough for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2012 - 11:58AM #15
mokantx

Apr 11, 2012 -- 11:30AM, quondamonachus wrote:

During my campus chaplaincy days I came across a number of students who, for psychological reasons or bad experiences with confessors, simply could not bring themselves to go to confession; but they were decent and earnest folks. I advised them to say an Act of Contrition with a resolve to lead an authentic life. Their very audible sigh of relief spoke volumes.

A priest friend of mine (now retired) encountered the same issue when he was a pastor, so he initiated regular general confession services. As you might have expected when word got out he was called on the carpet by the chancery. He found that theological reasons didn't go over with the PTB, but that pastoral arguments did (keeps parishioners, etc.). He finally convinced them, and resumed his general confession services.

IMO, much ado about nothing. The Kyrie rite is enough for me.

Quandam (Gil, etc.)

I have long thought of the role of the Priest in the sacraments of Penance and Matrimony, is less as the one doing the conferring of the sacrament, and more as the official witness of the church.  So, my favorite priest, when he officiates in a wedding, will walk around and kneel in the aisle before the wedding couple, as THEY exchange their vows.  It is very clear in his liturgy, that he sees the couple as conferring the sacrament upon each other.  I see the same in confession: the priest might say the words of absolution, but the truth is that if the penitent does not have the right change of heart, the correct sense of contrition, I'm not sure ANY words that might be said by the priest will do much.

As I get older, I'm coming to believe that in many ways, this carries out through most, if not all of the sacraments.  "The Church" confers the sacraments, and for me, "the Church" is the community of believers, and NOT the hierarchy per se.  In the early church, priests and bishops were selected by the people in the community.  I could easily see the ordination as being conferred by the community, with the "officiating bishop" really representing all of the other communities at this local community's event.   Confirmation is, or could be, a very real admission into the adult faith community, conferred more by the community itself, than by somebody that this parish sees maybe once every few years.  The list could go on, but the point, I think, is that over the years, this "tops down" mentality has really drained a great deal of the vitality of the faith from the community itself.  And if the community does not feel empowered, it's gonna show up in just about every aspect of the community.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook