Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 8:12AM #1
Marcion
Why the latest push on confession? We have a cardinal advocating confession on national tv and most catholic churches in our area have signs on the lawn usging confession. Why is the church so alarmed.

IMHO it is an intelligence gathering crusade. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 12:21PM #2
Buggsy

It creates dependency. People looking to an authority figure - One up One down relationships

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 3:19PM #3
Marcion

Agree, however more and more catholics have been drifting away from confession and I think it alarmed the church.

Imagine, confessing your "sins" to a pedophile and he steps in betwee you and God and forgives you - what a crock.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 4:44PM #4
Buggsy

Yeah I was never sold on the confession mill.  I prefer confessing my sins to my wife, family and co-workers - they have a stake in it.  And when they forgive it isn't just words and hand waving but real forgiveness. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 4:58PM #5
Buggsy

THX 1138 Confession booth: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly_djozCksg

Note the camera position on the portrait inside the booth.  The all seeing Eye (of Horus)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:12PM #6
ted08721

Bless me Buggsy for I have sinned, even though I go to Mass on most Sundays and I do receive communion I haven't been to confession since I was in Catholic grammar school, although over the years I have attended several general absolution/penance type services.

Although I do believe confession is good for the soul I kind of put the official Catholic version of it in the same category as infallibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 5:35PM #7
gilg

Apr 5, 2012 -- 12:12PM, ted08721 wrote:

Bless me Buggsy for I have sinned, even though I go to Mass on most Sundays and I do receive communion I haven't been to confession since I was in Catholic grammar school, although over the years I have attended several general absolution/penance type services.

Although I do believe confession is good for the soul I kind of put the official Catholic version of it in the same category as infallibility.

Bless me for I have sinned and haven't gone to confession since the priest went out of the confessional to see who I was.... it was a nice confession until  he wanted me to say I was sorry for something that I wasn't sorry about, I had time so we went back and forth ... I was sincere and honest and I told him if he couldnt' give me absolution then I would simply have to go directly to God since God knew my heart and would judge me accordingly...... he finally gave in and I can't remember what he said at the end....

Now I can tell my auntie that I went to confession.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 6:42PM #8
quandampaupere

During my grad school days, I attended a few general absolution services which were, in my opinion anyway, sacramentally rich and most substantial. They were conducted by ordained Roman Catholic priests for anyone at the university and wider community.  Of course, in due time, the vatican outlawed these services except for some very narrow exceptions. Just as they outlawed home masses.

Apparently, sacramentality can only exist within their version of what it is all about. Hell, we could throw out half of the Book of Acts from the bible if those guys had their institutional [read: MONOPOLY] way.

So today I ask for much needed forgiveness directly from God in my private prayer life.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:51PM #9
mokantx

Apr 5, 2012 -- 6:42PM, quandampaupere wrote:

During my grad school days, I attended a few general absolution services which were, in my opinion anyway, sacramentally rich and most substantial. They were conducted by ordained Roman Catholic priests for anyone at the university and wider community.  Of course, in due time, the vatican outlawed these services except for some very narrow exceptions. Just as they outlawed home masses.

Apparently, sacramentality can only exist within their version of what it is all about. Hell, we could throw out half of the Book of Acts from the bible if those guys had their institutional [read: MONOPOLY] way.

So today I ask for much needed forgiveness directly from God in my private prayer life.   

Quanda

But are you sure your private prayer life has been Vatican approved?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 10:47PM #10
jane2

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:51PM, mokantx wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 6:42PM, quandampaupere wrote:

Quanda

But are you sure your private prayer life has been Vatican approved?

..................     ;)         .................. 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook