Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:59PM #31
ffb

just a quick point, dudette -- as nieciedo said, the qualifications for messaih have to do with personal identity (davidic line through the dad), personal qualities (following laws) and particular performances (messianic prophecies) so jesus doesn't fit the bill.

as to my knowledge of the gospels, some comes from reading them in college and some from studying them and their relationship to judaism since college, especially to be able to counter claims about the invalidity of judaism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 10:48AM #32
Dudette

Hi ffb!

You write:

as to my knowledge of the gospels, some comes from studying them and their relationship to judaism since college, especially to be able to counter claims about the invalidity of judaism.

I think this is a great idea!  The more you know...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 6:13AM #33
river8101

Dudette,

For more info about Jews for Jesus, you might find it on the Messianic Jewish forum.   Tons of posts about it. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:00PM #34
Dudette

Hi River!

Thank you for the info!

I have to say that I've exchanged with some of them in different parts of the world (including Israel) and, since it is a lot like Christianity, I already know most of what they stand for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:48PM #35
LeahOne

We are not really 'against' theer beliefs - ONLY the assertion that they should still be considered 'Jewish' in their religion, and the false claim that what they believe  represents 'Judaism'.

And the ones who were not 'Jewish' according to halacha (Jewish religious law) yet presume to claim 'Jewish descent' or some such - they are liars and fakes and frauds, AFAIK. 

It's true some have been lied to and believe the lies - but it's not Judaism they are practicing if they say a single prayer in 'Yeshua's name or call 'yeshua' their Lord or any other title given in Judaism to YHVH alone.

This doesn't mean they are terminally evil and will go to the Hell we Jews don't believe in, or anything like that. It's just their 'theology' which is untrustworthy:  I don't really think they lie, cheat or steal any more than anyone else (other than ripping off our religion!)......

Just that they've corrupted our religion by placing its name on beliefs which are the OPPOSITE of some of our core beliefs (check Maimonides' Thirteen Points against a j4j 'faith statement') .

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 12:54PM #36
mainecaptain

From the ourtside (in other words not Jewish) I have never know a Jewish person to in anyway show dislike to my beliefs. Which are quite, quite different and in some ways very incompatable with Judaism.

I have always been treated kindly and fairly. And more then that as a friend. I greatly respect the Jewish friends I have. And I think they respect me as well. Our particular faiths or belief systems never get in the way of that.

But then I never pretend, what and how I worship is Jewish.

If "Jews for Jesus" wasn't a front group for Christains trying to convert unwary Jewish people, there would as far as I can see, be no problem. It is the dishonestly and unhonourable behaviour that is the problem. And it is a problem. I have a Jewish friend who got taken in by J4J and he is now all confused.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook