Switch to Forum Live View Student Suspended for Speaking Native American Language in Catholic school
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 11:31AM #1
ted08721

After a 12-year-old Menominee student spoke her Native language during class, she was suspended from playing  in that night’s basketball game, and memories of past boarding school atrocities surfaced.

Miranda Washinawatok attends Sacred Heart Catholic Academy in Shawano,  Wisconsin. According to Native News Network, the school is more than  60 percent Native American and is about six miles from the Menominee  Indian Tribe Reservation.

When Miranda was teaching a classmate to say “posoh” and “ketapanen” on January 19, her teacher scolded her. Native News Network  reported her saying “You are not to speak like that! How do I know you’re not  saying something bad? How would you like it if I spoke in Polish and you didn’t  understand?”

The words Miranda was chastised for translate to “hello” and “I love you” in  Menominee

I guess if it was Latin it would have been fine. 

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 11:48AM #2
sonnymoon42

If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for Miranda Washinawatok.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 5:51PM #3
gilg

Ted,

Thanks for the link.... actually, this Injun was lucky, they used to rape them and slaughter them just for kicks.

Religious boarding schools, Catholic and Protestant, in Australia, the USA, and Canada are famous for abusing the native populations.  I don't think much has changed since then, I suspect if we go to some 3rd world countries the religious leaders are still raping and doing whatever they want to the locals.... heck, we don't have to go to 3rd world countries, they are raping them in the USA, Europe, etc... and if we had colonies in the moon then they woujld be raping them there too, predators are color blind, they probably rape their own moms and if those transcripts coming from philly are correct, they even joke about how difficult it tis to rape 3 kids in a week..... at least now secular law is stepping in, not so for the Natives, they are easy prey for al the sickies crawling from government and religion.

Poor Native Americans, so far from God and so close to Catholic and Protestant predators .... The irony of speaking a native language and getting punished for speaking a foriegn language is something I'm sure those idiots don't see. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:43PM #4
cherubino
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:12PM #5
gilg

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:43PM, cherubino wrote:

Uh huh.

Yep, that about says it all.

Yesterday I heard Romney talk about American Exceptionalism.... we are still barbarians and the only difference between Ghengis Khan and Romney is that Khan had mulitple women and rode a horse instead of having mulitple Caddies and limos..... Oh wait, maybe I am wrong aboujt the mulitple women part...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 9:11PM #6
jane2

Gilg,

We've long known about the predation in these schools. This youngster probably has no one who could take that teacher to task--another violation.

When I was a freshman in high school one teacher decided to pick on me--I was 12. What she didn't know that was my grandfather had made a substantial contribution to build that school--run by a wealthy parish and catering to elite students. The next year she was banished but I was still there. My parents raised bloody blue ned about her. That teacher also did not know why I was in high school at twelve--a decision made by several Sisters of Mercy who ran the girls' division.

My grandfather was a personal friend of the Monsignor-Principal. Said Monsignor became an Auxilliary Bishop.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:24AM #7
ted08721

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:12PM, gilg wrote:

Uh huh.

Yesterday I heard Romney talk about American Exceptionalism.... we are still barbarians and the only difference between Ghengis Khan and Romney is that Khan had mulitple women and rode a horse instead of having mulitple Caddies and limos..... Oh wait, maybe I am wrong aboujt the mulitple women part...

Gil, all this American Exceptionalism I keep hearing about is going to lead to the downfall of our nation; I think we are at the tipping point now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 12:12PM #8
gilg

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:24AM, ted08721 wrote:

Apr 6, 2012 -- 12:12PM, gilg wrote:

Uh huh.

Gil, all this American Exceptionalism I keep hearing about is going to lead to the downfall of our nation; I think we are at the tipping point now.

The funny thing about this is that many of the believers in Exceptionalism, or Manifest Destiny, whatever you want to call it, are decent folks who simply don't understand the ramifications of what they are saying... I had a very interesting discusssion about this with a "traditional Trent Catholic" and she really believes that God wants this.... she also thinks it is the devil that is behind other countries resisting us.... I know Fox news and Tea Party propaganda and even the Jewish lobby push this type of thinking but it is the Catholic Church is the primary guilty party... I gotta run but perhaps we can come bacvk to this.

Jane,

You were so blessed, good that along the way you learned that we are our brother's keeper, we come from different backgroujnds but on that we agreee.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 12:22PM #9
cherubino

Apr 7, 2012 -- 12:12PM, gilg wrote:

The funny thing about this is that many of the believers in Exceptionalism, or Manifest Destiny, whatever you want to call it, are decent folks who simply don't understand the ramifications of what they are saying... I had a very interesting discusssion about this with a "traditional Trent Catholic" and she really believes that God wants this.... she also thinks it is the devil that is behind other countries resisting us.... I know Fox news and Tea Party propaganda and even the Jewish lobby push this type of thinking but it is the Catholic Church is the primary guilty party... I gotta run but perhaps we can come bacvk to this.

Oh, it's been around, and it hasn't always been part of any conservative slate. As the article says, many cite the Peace Corps as an example of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 2:00PM #10
gilg

Cherubino,

Thanks for the link, it sums it up pretty good. The dangers of this philosophy from the Evangelists, Trent Catholics, and others is real.  I bet the Jews laugh at the poor suckers who think they are going to convert Israel and in the meantime gives them unconditional support...Idiots.

The older I get the more it seems to me people have turned the teachings of Christ to justify doing anything, war, plunder, agression, sexism, racism, etc..... Too sad most people don't understand what they are worshipping.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook