Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Marketing 101 - reference groups
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 1:08AM #1
Ironhold

A reference group is a group whose presumed perspectives or values are being used by an individual as the basis for his or her current behavior. [227]

Attraction refers to the desirability that membership in a given group has for the individual. This can range from negative to positive. Groups with negative desirability - dissociative reference groups - can influence behavior just as do those with positive desirability. For example, teenagers tend to avoid clothing styles associated with older consumers. Nonmembership groups with a positive atttraction - aspiration reference groups - also exert a strong influence. Individuals frequently purchase products thought to be used by a desired group in order to achieve actual or symbolic membership in the group. [228]

Hawkins, D., and Mothersbaugh, D. Consumer Behavior: Building Marketing Strategy. 11th edition (international edition). McGraw-Hill. 2010.

One of the real-life concerns of a marketer is not only how a product or service is perceived, but also how the people who use said product or service are perceived. For example, UK clothing company Burberry was forced into a defensive posture when knock-off versions of their garments became popular among "chavs" (re: delinquents); the fear was that the company - which attempts to position itself as an upscale line - would be associated with disreputable persons in the eyes of the British public and so the higher-ups began attempting to put distance between the two.

Mainline Christianity, at present, is suffering from a similar image problem: the resident chavs are taking pride in flashing around pale imitations of the real thing, raising the prospect of decidedly negative associations and an ultimate desire to avoid the mainline denominations. A classic example of this is the "street preachers" who congregate around the temples in SLC and Mesa, Arizona. Over the past 10+ years, their assorted actions have been such that even the mainline ministers in the city have tried to put distance between themselves and these protestors. If one follows the above link and views the image galleries, they can see why.

So what can mainline Christians do to correct this situation?

Verbal statements attempting to dissociate from these worst-case scenarios is a start, but only a pale one at best. Loud denunciations followed up by limited action may give the impression that something is being done, but instead the problem still lingers in the background.

The next step in the matter might perhaps be indirect methods. In the case of Burberry, one indirect method they have taken is to discontinue frequently imitated items and relocate the company's trademark tartan pattern to the insides of garments and accessories so that they cannot be easily seen, thereby allowing for a quicker point of reference as to who is and is not a user of legitimate product. Similarly, whenever individual mainline Christians see fellows who are going too far, they could attempt to set a good example of their own in the hopes that their good example outmatches the poor example set by their fellows.

Thing is, this allows for such situations as "vocal minority vs. silent majority" and so ultimately does little to curb the fact that these deviant groups are more likely to be seen and thus more likely to be associated with the item in question. Thus, in unusual or even extreme circumstances, direct methods might be needed. In the case of Burberry, they have begun the process of determining who makes the knock-off clothing and taking them to court, thereby attempting to remove the supply of the illegal garments. Similarly, it may be needful for mainline Christians to actually "witness" to their own who happen to be going astray and remind them of how those who aren't in the mainstream might potentially be viewing them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 8:38AM #2
mecdukebec

"Mainline" Christianity, in the proposition, is equivalent to Warren Jeffs as the exemplar of "mainline" Mormonism.  Next?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 3:13AM #3
moksha8088

Ironhold, in the case of the Westboro Church and their horendous "God hates Fags" campaign, what would you suggest as a corrective measure? 

Could you suggest anything in this case Kebecer?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:22AM #4
Ironhold

Apr 5, 2012 -- 3:13AM, moksha8088 wrote:

Ironhold, in the case of the Westboro Church and their horendous "God hates Fags" campaign, what would you suggest as a corrective measure? 

To begin with, I'd say a boots-on-the-ground counter-protest.

The members of a local congregation could form a barrier between the group and the funeral, in the process making it known just who is opposing the Phelps.

To date, I can't think of a single mainline group that's done this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:45AM #5
mecdukebec

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:22AM, Ironhold wrote:

To begin with, I'd say a boots-on-the-ground counter-protest.

The members of a local congregation could form a barrier between the group and the funeral, in the process making it known just who is opposing the Phelps.

To date, I can't think of a single mainline group that's done this.

Well, gosh, and using "the google," it's amazing what the Internet can do, to puncture a whine-with-cheese, to-wit:  '

On May 24, 2006, the United States House and Senate passed the Respect for America’s Fallen Heroes Act, which President Bush signed five days later. The act bans protests within 300 feet of national cemeteries — which numbered 122 when the bill was signed — from an hour before a funeral to an hour after it. Violators face up to a $100,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

As of April 2006, at least 17 states have banned protests near funeral sites immediately before and after ceremonies, or are considering it. These are: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, which passed the law, and Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. Florida increased the penalty for disturbing military funerals, amending a previous ban on the disruption of lawful assembly.

And: 

www.godvine.com/Christian-Veterans-Prote...

The problem with facts is, well, facts. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:47AM #6
Ironhold

The government getting involved does not equal mainline Christianity getting involved.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:51AM #7
mecdukebec

Could you suggest anything in this case Kebecer?

I would suggest that Iron actually define what a "mainline" Christian is, because that is consistent as the definition that Warren Jeffs is a "mainline" LDS.   Educated debate involves clarity, not fudge-words and "Here's what I wanted to whine about because I wanted to whine about it." looped-reasoning.  Let's begin with asking something from Iron, and seeing if clarity can be provided; otherwise, it's just SS/DD. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:53AM #8
mecdukebec

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:47AM, Ironhold wrote:

The government getting involved does not equal mainline Christianity getting involved.

That's why I mentioned the "Christian bikers,":  Please to work on your reading comprehension:  I knew you'd say that, that's why I put that in.  Again, I ignore rants that don't provide clarity of terms.  As I observed, infra.  Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:31PM #9
rideronthastorm

Well i feel like a dumbdumb idiot responding here iron because its over my head the reading looks like college material---------I dont understand it but I do have one question. is Mormonism mainline Christianity??????????

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:26PM #10
Ironhold

Apr 8, 2012 -- 10:31PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

Well i feel like a dumbdumb idiot responding here iron because its over my head the reading looks like college material---------I dont understand it but I do have one question. is Mormonism mainline Christianity??????????

Nope; that's why we get attacked so often.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook