Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buddhist similarities with Christianity
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 11:07PM #1
Aka_me

probably deserves it's own thread to focus ONLY on things Buddhism has in common with Christianity...

The teachings of the Buddha display certain similarities to Christian moral precepts of more than five centuries later: the sanctity of life, compassion for others, rejection of violence, confession and emphasis on charity and the practice of virtue.

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

5. the practice of virtue

if these things are not shared, then which one does not profess them?

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 11:52AM #2
Idbc

Howdy aka-me

Apr 1, 2012 -- 11:07PM, Aka_me wrote:

probably deserves it's own thread to focus ONLY on things Buddhism has in common with Christianity...

The teachings of the Buddha display certain similarities to Christian moral precepts of more than five centuries later: the sanctity of life, compassion for others, rejection of violence, confession and emphasis on charity and the practice of virtue.

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

I don't dispute that there are "similarities" between Buiddhism and Christianity.   And so far as I know both religions do "professs" the things that listed.  

I would also add that most if not all religions  "profess" the things that you listed. 

However there are  dis-simlarities between religions as to how and why to practice the things that you listed.  

The Shaitan is in the details good buddy.    

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 3:16AM #3
Aka_me

Apr 3, 2012 -- 11:52AM, Idbc wrote:

Howdy aka-me

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

I don't dispute that there are "similarities" between Buiddhism and Christianity.   And so far as I know both religions do "professs" the things that listed.  

I would also add that most if not all religions  "profess" the things that you listed. 

However there are  dis-simlarities between religions as to how and why to practice the things that you listed.  

idn't rather odd that the cat got the Buddhist' tongue?

gotta be stress inducing to not be capable of arguing against it, AND too prejudicely biased to state what you just stated.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 9:02AM #4
Idbc

Howdy aka me

Howdy aka-me

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

Apr 6, 2012 -- 3:16AM, Aka_me wrote:

idn't rather odd that the cat got the Buddhist' tongue?

gotta be stress inducing to not be capable of arguing against it, AND too prejudicely biased to state what you just stated.

Buddha-Buddhist advocte all the things that I listed as do Christians. 

To deny that they are not similar is to be biased and predjuiced.  

However Christianity and Buddhism are different religions.  Buddhist and Christians have differences in what, why and how to apply the things that I listed i.e. the devil is in the details.

how often does nature produce 8 coincidences?

1... yes

2... sure

3... maybe

4... not likely

5... don't think so

I would conclude they are significant, and non-coincidental.

You only listed five.  

I am confused.   You seem to be concluding that

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence 

are conicidental. 

And

4. emphasis on charity

are not coincidental.  

Or is it the NONE of them are coincidental? 

I think that because human beings are social animals and that because all of the things listed   help promote socialablity.   That is the reason for that it is  a coincidence that most religions ,  including Christianity and Buddhism have them as part of their doctrines.   

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 11:41PM #5
Aka_me

Apr 6, 2012 -- 9:02AM, Idbc wrote:

Buddha-Buddhist advocte all the things that I listed as do Christians. 

To deny that they are not similar is to be biased and predjuiced.  

However Christianity and Buddhism are different religions.  Buddhist and Christians have differences in what, why and how to apply the things that I listed i.e. the devil is in the details.

they are not similar, and they are similar, at the same time.

the dissimilarities appear in details of WHY become a member.

the similarities exist in highlevel of WHAT they hope to accomplish with the adherent.

what they hope to accomplish is:

instill reverence in adherent, modify (in other words correct) behavior, and explain a reality outside what the 5 senses are capable of perceiving.

for Buddhists participating in this forum, it is impossibly painful to admit any similarity, otherwise the admission would have already happened by now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 12:24AM #6
Ferretling

It isn't painful to admit similarities. I suspect it is more of an issue that a fair number of Buddhists here find you rude and pointless to discuss things with, Aka, and so haven't bothered responding.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:26PM #7
Aka_me

Apr 8, 2012 -- 7:50PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

the story is really for you ... the actual Buddhists.

as Bob points out...

there are other readers here besides myself.

merely requires putting one's biases and prejudices aside long enough to make a post for others to read.

I forgot, THAT is what's preventing the admission in the first place, and that's out of the question, impossible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 9:05PM #8
Ferretling

No, aka.

If someone else wants the question answered, and wants it answered from a Buddhist perspective instead of using it as a disguised way to proselytize, I am sure that plenty of the Buddhists will speak up.

A thread started by you, or dio, however, on the subject, is not so likely to get answers any longer, based on our experiences with how the pair of you operate on this board.

Yes, there is a certain amount of attachment in this view. I have been burned before and quite honestly yes, this is my issue.

However, you might want to consider why you receive this reaction.

If you want to portray yourself as this abrasive, that is your choice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 9:30PM #9
Bob0

Well said!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 1:43AM #10
Aka_me

Apr 8, 2012 -- 9:05PM, Ferretling wrote:

Yes, there is a certain amount of attachment in this view.

what this says to me is...

under the right circumstances, given the right conditions, the PRACTICE of Buddhism may be suspended. that it's ok to have attachment. perfectly fine to "wack people around".

when external blame has been correctly placed, then Buddhist PRACTICE is on time-out and can be waved until further notice.

was that a fair statement?

that what the observable actions are indicating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook