Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buddhist similarities with Christianity
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 12:15AM #41
Aka_me

Apr 12, 2012 -- 8:18PM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy aka me

My question  to you , "So what if there are  "similarities"  between Christianity and Buddhism? 

There are also "differences"  between Buddhism and Christianity. 

how many similarities are there?

and how significant are they?

do the amount to being coincidental or not?

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 9:44AM #42
IDBC

Apr 12, 2012 -- 8:18PM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy aka me

My question  to you , "So what if there are  "similarities"  between Christianity and Buddhism? 

There are also "differences"  between Buddhism and Christianity. 

Apr 13, 2012 -- 12:15AM, Aka_me wrote:

how many similarities are there?

do the amount to being coincidental or not?

how many similarities do YOU think  are there?

how many DIFFERENCES  do you think are there? 

how significant do YOU think they are?

Do YOU think the amount of similarites are is co-incidental?

When you answer my questions, I will answer your questions!

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:14AM #43
Aka_me

Apr 1, 2012 -- 11:07PM, Aka_me wrote:

probably deserves it's own thread to focus ONLY on things Buddhism has in common with Christianity...

The teachings of the Buddha display certain similarities to Christian moral precepts of more than five centuries later: the sanctity of life, compassion for others, rejection of violence, confession and emphasis on charity and the practice of virtue.

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

5. the practice of virtue

if these things are not shared, then which one does not profess them?

as the opening post has already stated... a minimum of 5

I think there was another post with 3 more.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 1:18AM #44
Aka_me

Apr 7, 2012 -- 11:41PM, Aka_me wrote:

Apr 6, 2012 -- 9:02AM, IDBC wrote:

Buddha-Buddhist advocte all the things that I listed as do Christians. 

To deny that they are not similar is to be biased and predjuiced.  

However Christianity and Buddhism are different religions.  Buddhist and Christians have differences in what, why and how to apply the things that I listed i.e. the devil is in the details.

they are not similar, and they are similar, at the same time.

the dissimilarities appear in details of WHY become a member.

the similarities exist in highlevel of WHAT they hope to accomplish with the adherent.

what they hope to accomplish is:

instill reverence in adherent, modify (in other words correct) behavior, and explain a reality outside what the 5 senses are capable of perceiving.

for Buddhists participating in this forum, it is impossibly painful to admit any similarity, otherwise the admission would have already happened by now.

and the additional 3. has there been even 1 post refuting these 8 issues?

how often does nature produce 8 coincidences?

1... yes

2... sure

3... maybe

4... not likely

5... don't think so

I would conclude they are significant, and non-coincidental.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 10:34AM #45
IDBC

Howdy Buddy

probably deserves it's own thread to focus ONLY on things Buddhism has in common with Christianity...

The teachings of the Buddha display certain similarities to Christian moral precepts of more than five centuries later: the sanctity of life, compassion for others, rejection of violence, confession and emphasis on charity and the practice of virtue.

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

Apr 16, 2012 -- 1:14AM, Aka_me wrote:

What are the other three? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 10:36AM #46
Aka_me

Apr 16, 2012 -- 10:34AM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy Buddy

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

have you read post #44?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 3:57PM #47
IDBC

Apr 16, 2012 -- 10:34AM, IDBC wrote:

Howdy Buddy

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

Apr 16, 2012 -- 10:36AM, Aka_me wrote:

have you read post #44?

Yes I did. Post 44 mentions what 1-5 "hope to accomplish".  

Can you or can you not answer a direct question?  

Can you "list"  eight similarites between the Christian Religion and the Buddhist Religion?

Can you "list" egith similarties between the Christian Religion and the Buddhist Religion, that are not found in Islam, or Bahai, or Hinduism?  

"Between those two religions".   NOT between OTHER religions.   

If I asked you what are the similarites between a mammal and a fish.  I am not asking for the similarites between a mammal and an insect, or fish and a bird.    Or between an animal and a plant.      

"Between those two animals. NOT between OTHER animals.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:27PM #48
SeraphimR

Three others aren't hard to find:

they both have monastics,

they both use incense,

they both have chanting.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 9:19PM #49
IDBC

Howdy

Apr 16, 2012 -- 7:27PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Three others aren't hard to find:

they both have monastics,

they both use incense,

they both have chanting.

I agree that they are similar.   I am sure that there are other "similarities". 

But those were not on the list mentioned by aka me.  

My question would are they similar for the same reasons. 

Do they serve a similar purpose?  

I don't know why Buddhists have monastics or why Christians have monastics.  

The same for the use of incence?

Did Buddha use incence?

Did Jesus use incence? 

From what I have read in the Bible Jesus was not a monastic.     

I don't think the Buddha was either.   Although I have read only a few of the Sutras.  

I would think that it is more probable that Buddha chanted and less probable that Jesus chanted. 

According to the Bible and the Sutras both Buddha and Jesus "prayed".  

But their prayers were very different.   Of course the words were different, but so where the reasons and purpose that Buddha-Buddhist pray and Jesus-Christians pray.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2012 - 1:58AM #50
Kartari

Aka_me,

1. the sanctity of life

2. compassion for others

3. rejection of violence

4. emphasis on charity

There are some similarities, particularly when it comes to behavioral codes.  Some years ago, I was reminded of some of the 10 Commandments when I first learned and read about the 5 Precepts:

The Five Precepts (LINK)

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.

3. Kamesu micchacara veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual misconduct.

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.

5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami. I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.

Upon closer inspection, there are differences.  For instance, the precept to "refrain from destroying living creatures" refers to not only human beings, but to all sentient beings. (Snp 1.8)  The approach to morality differs as well.  Catholicism, in my experience, seeks to enforce moral behavior upon what are believed to be innately flawed beings who need discipline.  My understanding is that some forms of Protestant Christianity emphasize personal choice and free will over traditional Christian fatalism.  But Buddhism (according to what I've been exposed to) takes a very gentle and patient approach, an approach which validates the human ability to approach the ideals with gradual, mindful attention.  Catholicism sees moral behavior chiefly as a means of pleasing God, whereas Buddhism regards it as a practice that more quickly chips away at suffering, it speeds the process up towards enlightenment.

But since this is a discussion of the similarities, I agree with you that there is certainly some common ground.  In fact, moral codes of behavior throughout most religions in the world, not just Christianity and Buddhism, bear striking similarities.  Though again, with different emphasis in the specifics of what and why.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook