Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:10PM #1
Kwinters
Often times the historicity of Jesus is debated.  I have just purchased 

Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth by Bart D. Ehrman

I'll need some time to read and review it, but thought I should mention it here in case others are interested.
Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:15PM #2
JimRigas

Are there any of his books you have not bought? I have stopped buying them because he is recycling most of the same information inside new packages.  I think he has a goal of publishing one new book every nine months.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:59PM #3
Kwinters

Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:15PM, JimRigas wrote:

Are there any of his books you have not bought? I have stopped buying them because he is recycling most of the same information inside new packages.  I think he has a goal of publishing one new book every nine months.

To be fair, as a researcher and lecturer you'd probably get tired of me talking about what I know after 20 hours.  I would run out of things I know :)

I have Forged, which was very good and original, Misquoting Jesus and Jesus, Interrupted, which cover similar ground.  I didn't bother with the refutations of the Da Vinci code, however I also just purchased The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture which sounds quite good.  I also didn't bother with God's Problem because theodicy is not of interest to me.

I have the audiobook for The Lost Gospel of Judas Iscariot which was also very original and informative, but outside of my area of interst and I have listened to his two lecture series from The Teaching Company.  Those were also very informative.

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 4:21PM #4
jlb32168

Outside of time travel, I don't see how it can be proved either way.

Victim of this, victim of that, your mama’s too thin and your daddy’s too fat, get over it! - the Eagles
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 4:24PM #5

Mar 31, 2012 -- 4:21PM, jlb32168 wrote:

keep in mind there are people who think we never landed on the moon. 

this guy Kwinters brings up is just another nut case.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 4:32PM #6
koolpoi

Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:10PM, Kwinters wrote:

Often times the historicity of Jesus is debated.  I have just purchased 

Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth by Bart D. Ehrman

I'll need some time to read and review it, but thought I should mention it here in case others are interested.

I've enjoyed other work by Dr. Ehrman (and your posts as well) so although it seems unlikely that Jesus never existed,I will be very interested to hear what you think of this book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 4:36PM #7
Kwinters

Mar 31, 2012 -- 4:24PM, 57 wrote:

Mar 31, 2012 -- 4:21PM, jlb32168 wrote:

keep in mind there are people who think we never landed on the moon. 

So a guy who argues that Jesus existed is a nut case?  I take it that means you think he didn't exist and he was an invented character?

How weird.

Or maybe you need to actually read things before you comment on them.  Using prejudice instead of your eyes and brains ends up with your public humiliation.

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:00PM #8
Ed.W

Yes, Bart Ehrman I believe does affirm that Jesus existed, 57.  He can look at his bank account and prove that.

But seriously, Bart fully believes that Jesus existed (I think I've heard him say that).

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:28PM #9
Blü

KW

I've enjoyed other books by Ehrman and I'm particularly curious about this one.

The one review posted so far on your Amazon link is quite scathing (two stars).  He complains that Ehrman's argument is merely an argument from authority, an assertion that (some, impliedly many) experts in the field agree with Ehrman that Jesus existed.  I made the same complaint after listening to the radio phone-in excerpt (YouTube) in which Ehrman spoke on the same subject.

So I'll be interested to hear your views on the book - whether the reviewer's complaint is fair, whether Ehrman presents anything new or is strikingly persuasive with the old &c.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 8:03PM #10
Blü

I realize that intelligent ladies are outside your experience, but Kwinters is one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook