Post Reply
Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View If the Kingdom is paramount to you
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 7:44PM #1
Goodtobehomestill
Posts: 6,583
you will give up anything for it.  Anything.  That is what 'paramount' means, 'greatest in importance.'  More important than family, sex, livelihood, anything.  Putting the Kingdom first has always meant sacrifices, Abraham leaving Ur, Moses leaving his palace in Egypt, etc.

Two examples, one who thought the Kingdom was the most important thing to him, and one for whom it actually was paramount.

(Matthew 19:16-22) . . .Now, look! a certain one came up to him and said: “Teacher, what good must I do in order to get everlasting life?” 17 He said to him: “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is that is good. If, though, you want to enter into life, observe the commandments continually.” 18 He said to him: “Which ones?” Jesus said: “Why, You must not murder, You must not commit adultery, You must not steal, You must not bear false witness, 19 Honor [your] father and [your] mother, and, You must love your neighbor as yourself.” 20 The young man said to him: “I have kept all these; what yet am I lacking?” 21 Jesus said to him: “If you want to be perfect, go sell your belongings and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven, and come be my follower.” 22 When the young man heard this saying, he went away grieved, for he was holding many possessions.

Now this was a fine, humble, good guy, who just couldn't do it, he couldn't make the sacrifice for the Kingdom.

We can hope that later he changed his mind, that is possible, of course.



Now the one for whom the Kingdom actually was the most important thing.

Jeremiah was called to be a prophet when quite young, and he was forbidden to marry, ever.

(Jeremiah 16:1-2) 16 And the word of Jehovah continued to occur to me, saying: 2 “You must not take for yourself a wife, and you must not come to have sons and daughters in this place.

So he had to completely forgo any possibility of marital relations and descendants.  And he was a young man, we can safely assume he had desires and would have preferred to not give up sex.  But obedience to God's commands, working for the advancement of God's purpose, was most important to him.

We can say the Kingdom is paramount, but what we are willing to sacrifice for it, tells the truth about whether it is or not. 

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.


Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:22PM #2
mrjordan
Posts: 2,151

"and you will have treasure in heaven"


This part is what speaks to me. What I feel is important cannot be stolen, decay or taken from me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:22PM #3
Knowsnothing
Posts: 1,150

Mar 28, 2012 -- 7:44PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:


We can say the Kingdom is paramount, but what we are willing to sacrifice for it, tells the truth about whether it is or not. 



And, the sacrifice is only worth it, if it is real.


1 Corinthians 15:12-19


12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:01AM #4
mrjordan
Posts: 2,151

Mar 28, 2012 -- 8:22PM, Knowsnothing wrote:


Mar 28, 2012 -- 7:44PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:


We can say the Kingdom is paramount, but what we are willing to sacrifice for it, tells the truth about whether it is or not. 



And, the sacrifice is only worth it, if it is real.


1 Corinthians 15:12-19


12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.






Im not sure what the point is here. You have posted a great scripture here though. Are you saying that there was no sacrifice made by Jesus?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:47AM #5
Truthwillset
Posts: 1,267

How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.


Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:18AM #6
mrjordan
Posts: 2,151

Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Truthwillset wrote:


How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.





Here's the problem. If the Kingdom of God is not paramount to a person it is because they cannot see it. If a person rejects the bible or only believe in just parts fo the bible then that person will never see it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:29AM #7
Presentsiimpletense
Posts: 969

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:18AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Truthwillset wrote:


How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.





Here's the problem. If the Kingdom of God is not paramount to a person it is because they cannot see it. If a person rejects the bible or only believe in just parts fo the bible then that person will never see it.





So glad Christ Jesus  our King  does not think like you,  where would  doubting Thomas be?

In the vindication of the truth
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:42AM #8
mrjordan
Posts: 2,151

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:29AM, Presentsiimpletense wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:18AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Truthwillset wrote:


How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.





Here's the problem. If the Kingdom of God is not paramount to a person it is because they cannot see it. If a person rejects the bible or only believe in just parts fo the bible then that person will never see it.





So glad Christ Jesus  our King  does not think like you,  where would  doubting Thomas be?




Do you think that God' Kingdom is not paramount to Jesus? I don't quite get the Thomas reference. Thomas doubted that after Jesus was resurrected that he was actually speaking to Jesus. Even Thomas was eventually convinced he was indeed talking to Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:54AM #9
Presentsiimpletense
Posts: 969

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:42AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:29AM, Presentsiimpletense wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:18AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Truthwillset wrote:


How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.





Here's the problem. If the Kingdom of God is not paramount to a person it is because they cannot see it. If a person rejects the bible or only believe in just parts fo the bible then that person will never see it.





So glad Christ Jesus  our King  does not think like you,  where would  doubting Thomas be?




Do you think that God' Kingdom is not paramount to Jesus? I don't quite get the Thomas reference. Thomas doubted that after Jesus was resurrected that he was actually speaking to Jesus. Even Thomas was eventually convinced he was indeed talking to Christ.




The point is ONLY JESUS AND JEHOVAH know why persons react they way they do toward anything, and only they can pass perfect judgement upon any human.    None of us can say why a person holds a certain position regarding God and the bible unless they say what it is, still Jehovah and Jesus know what it takes to convince them. 

In the vindication of the truth
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:01AM #10
mrjordan
Posts: 2,151

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:54AM, Presentsiimpletense wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:42AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:29AM, Presentsiimpletense wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:18AM, mrjordan wrote:


Mar 29, 2012 -- 8:47AM, Truthwillset wrote:


How kind of you, or religion, or God to continually dangle this carrot in people's faces which not one person we know of has ever actually attained and for which no evidence exists and all the while asking us to sacrifice the very desires we were supposed to have been created with.





Here's the problem. If the Kingdom of God is not paramount to a person it is because they cannot see it. If a person rejects the bible or only believe in just parts fo the bible then that person will never see it.





So glad Christ Jesus  our King  does not think like you,  where would  doubting Thomas be?




Do you think that God' Kingdom is not paramount to Jesus? I don't quite get the Thomas reference. Thomas doubted that after Jesus was resurrected that he was actually speaking to Jesus. Even Thomas was eventually convinced he was indeed talking to Christ.




The point is ONLY JESUS AND JEHOVAH know why persons react they way they do toward anything, and only they can pass perfect judgement upon any human.    None of us can say why a person holds a certain position regarding God and the bible unless they say what it is, still Jehovah and Jesus know what it takes to convince them. 




So you're saying that a person can reject the bible or only agree with parts of the bible but still see God' Kingdom and why it should be paramount?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 18  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook