Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View The End of Religion?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:01PM #51
mainecaptain

Mar 29, 2012 -- 2:46PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:59AM, LeahOne wrote:

Mar 25, 2012 -- 12:06AM, Ken wrote:

Mar 24, 2012 -- 11:39PM, jonny42 wrote:

I don't think that many people will ever find "We're here by chance" to be very believable.  

I don't see why not. "We're here on purpose" doesn't seem very likely, does it?

It's more like "We're here - so let's FIND a 'purpose' and embrace it!"  IMHO

But there is NO purpose to embrace here according to christianity, it focuses on death and says the purpose will be found after death, NOT HERE.

But I think you're Jewish Leah, is that correct?  From the perspective of Judaism, your statement makes sense.  (Further proof that OT and NT have nothing in common..., much less the ridiculous claim of the same god!)

Sweet Leah is Jewish and is a fountain of knowledge , I have learned much from her. She has a very nice outlook on life. And I have learned Judaism seems to have as a whole, a much healthier view of life. Life should be embraced and lived to the fullest, while not deliberately harming anyone.   Making amends when mistakes are made and then moving on.

That is what I get out of it, looking in from the outside. Of course there is more to it, but  on this one subject that is what I think I have learned :)

please forgive me Leah if I messed it up.Embarassed

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:16PM #52
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:01PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I don't think that many people will ever find "We're here by chance" to be very believable.  

But there is NO purpose to embrace here according to christianity, it focuses on death and says the purpose will be found after death, NOT HERE.

But I think you're Jewish Leah, is that correct?  From the perspective of Judaism, your statement makes sense.  (Further proof that OT and NT have nothing in common..., much less the ridiculous claim of the same god!)

Sweet Leah is Jewish and is a fountain of knowledge , I have learned much from her. She has a very nice outlook on life. And I have learned Judaism seems to have as a whole, a much healthier view of life. Life should be embraced and lived to the fullest, while not deliberately harming anyone.   Making amends when mistakes are made and then moving on.

That is what I get out of it, looking in from the outside. Of course there is more to it, but  on this one subject that is what I think I have learned :)

please forgive me Leah if I messed it up.

I agree with all that, except that Leah's profile says "male".  So I think it's a "he".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:19PM #53
mainecaptain

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:16PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

I agree with all that, except that Leah's profile says "male".  So I think it's a "he".

ooops, Must be an oversight, because Leah is a she . We live fairly close and plan to get together some time soon. I will be very shock if she is a he, She is also a Mummy or Mommy

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:26PM #54
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:19PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:16PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

ooops, Must be an oversight, because Leah is a she . We live fairly close and plan to get together some time soon. I will be very shock if she is a he, She is also a Mummy or Mommy

Yes, everything else pointed to "she" but I figure I shouldn't assume and trust they know their own gender lol.  But I'll take your word for it that Leah is a she lol.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:31PM #55
F1fan

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:28PM, jonny42 wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 11:40AM, F1fan wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 12:35AM, jonny42 wrote:

Mar 24, 2012 -- 11:48PM, Blü wrote:

jonny

You're pessimistic that reason will hold out against ignorance and superstition?  Have faith!

I don't think many will find it reasonable to believe we're here by chance.  

Then what purpose do humans serve as an intended existence?  To pollute the planet?  To kill other animals in inhumane ways?  To form religions and kill for personal gods?  To worship an insecure god?  Sure, humans do many good things, but generally in response to negative situations of human existence.  There is no apparent purpose or intent for human existence, nor the existence of life for billions of years before humans evolved.  Any meaning people DO create and impose on our existence is surely intended to inflate our importance.

Apparently you believe our purpose is to practice your definition of what you deem "good" and eschew the "bad."

But regardless, what our purpose is is beside the point.   Religion will not end because most people do not believe we are here by chance.   And they will seek to congregate with those who share their beliefs and values.

Nice dodge.  It's very easy to trap you guys, you avoid answering hard questions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook