Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The End of Religion?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:01AM #41
steven_guy

Mar 28, 2012 -- 12:35AM, jonny42 wrote:

Mar 24, 2012 -- 11:48PM, Blü wrote:

jonny

I don't think that many people will ever find "We're here by chance" to be very believable.

You're pessimistic that reason will hold out against ignorance and superstition?  Have faith!

I don't think many will find it reasonable to believe we're here by chance.  

Then they're fools. We are here by a series of coincidences. That's certain. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 11:40AM #42
F1fan

jonny

I don't think that many people will ever find "We're here by chance" to be very believable.

You're pessimistic that reason will hold out against ignorance and superstition?  Have faith!

Then what purpose do humans serve as an intended existence?  To pollute the planet?  To kill other animals in inhumane ways?  To form religions and kill for personal gods?  To worship an insecure god?  Sure, humans do many good things, but generally in response to negative situations of human existence.  There is no apparent purpose or intent for human existence, nor the existence of life for billions of years before humans evolved.  Any meaning people DO create and impose on our existence is surely intended to inflate our importance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 2:07PM #43
mainecaptain

F1fan I agree completely with your last post.

Although I bet the response to that will be "we are here to glorify their particualr god".

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 5:44PM #44
Blü

jonny

What divine purpose do you see in overpopulating the world with humans?

Some kind of cosmic satire on capitalism?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:28PM #45
jonny42

Mar 28, 2012 -- 11:40AM, F1fan wrote:

jonny

Then what purpose do humans serve as an intended existence?  To pollute the planet?  To kill other animals in inhumane ways?  To form religions and kill for personal gods?  To worship an insecure god?  Sure, humans do many good things, but generally in response to negative situations of human existence.  There is no apparent purpose or intent for human existence, nor the existence of life for billions of years before humans evolved.  Any meaning people DO create and impose on our existence is surely intended to inflate our importance.

Apparently you believe our purpose is to practice your definition of what you deem "good" and eschew the "bad."

But regardless, what our purpose is is beside the point.   Religion will not end because most people do not believe we are here by chance.   And they will seek to congregate with those who share their beliefs and values.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 11:32PM #46
teilhard

We Human Beings are INFAMOUSLY Pattern-Seeking Persons, and many of us DO perceive MEANING and PURPOSE (and not incidentally, The Hand of "God") in The Fact of Existence Itself ...

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:28PM, jonny42 wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 11:40AM, F1fan wrote:

jonny

Apparently you believe our purpose is to practice your definition of what you deem "good" and eschew the "bad."

But regardless, what our purpose is is beside the point.   Religion will not end because most people do not believe we are here by chance.   And they will seek to congregate with those who share their beliefs and values.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:59AM #47
LeahOne

Mar 25, 2012 -- 12:06AM, Ken wrote:

Mar 24, 2012 -- 11:39PM, jonny42 wrote:

I don't see why not. "We're here on purpose" doesn't seem very likely, does it?

It's more like "We're here - so let's FIND a 'purpose' and embrace it!"  IMHO

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:05AM #48
teilhard

That's near the Heart of The Pattern-Seeking, yes ... ???

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:59AM, LeahOne wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:46PM #49
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:59AM, LeahOne wrote:

But there is NO purpose to embrace here according to christianity, it focuses on death and says the purpose will be found after death, NOT HERE.

But I think you're Jewish Leah, is that correct?  From the perspective of Judaism, your statement makes sense.  (Further proof that OT and NT have nothing in common..., much less the ridiculous claim of the same god!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:57PM #50
Ken

I don't think many people worry about having a purpose or finding a purpose. They just do the sort of thing people of their social station usually do, and that's enough to keep their minds occupied.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook