3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 4:28PM #1
Theo

Preface: I did not want to highjack the other thread with my own posts so decided to start my own threads dealing with Mormonism 101.

Introduction: The Mormon Church has recently become very active using various media to help reinvent their image and shape public perception of the LDS Church. No longer content with sending missionaries door to door, they are reaching directly into our living rooms with interesting stories, told by real people who, once they have our attention, end their colorful presentations by saying... "and I'm a Mormon."

They want you to believe Mormons are normal everyday people and attractive human beings, and that it's okay to be Mormon. And they're using the media networks, radio and TV, to mold and reshape what you may or may not think about them... and by the way, the Mormon Church is heavily invested in both radio and TV stations. Mormons want to be liked because they see themselves as good people, and the LDS Church wants you to like Mormons.

Also Mitt Romney is the leading Republican candidate for President. And because media reporters often question Romney's religious affiliation with Mormonism, the LDS Church developed their own media center Website entitled, "Mormonism 101," to cater to their inquiries, and provide reporters with ready information about the LDS religion - information the LDS Church wants you to believe about them. What the LDS Church is doing is smart; reaching out to you both directly and indirectly through the media, but it is also very deceptive, in my opinion, and therefore I see it as a threat to the Christian community. This article is my response to what the LDS Church says about their religion, and all quotes are taken directly from this website unless otherwise noted.

Many Republicans (the majority in fact) have embraced Romney, and they are telling us to disregard his religious affiliation. Some Christians, being influence by this convenient Republican code to not judge a candidate by their religion, are going along with the Republican establishment. But what would they say if Romney was a Muslim? Frankly some religions work better with our kind of government and political ideals than others, so the religious affiliation of the Candidates should matter to everyone. In addition, the LDS Church, with their desire to be accepted as mainstream, is using the Republican Party as a means to their greater ends - I think. Win or lose or draw, while Mitt Romney is in the spotlight, it is a public relations win for the Mormon Church.  

However, this article is not intended as political commentary, or motivated by my personal opposition to Romney. I am not trying to tell anyone to not vote for Romney, I actually think he would be better than another 4 years of President Obama. What I want to do is tell the truth about the LDS Church and contrast what they say about themselves, against Christianity in general, and Evangelical Christianity in particular. I do not hate Mormon people and am not out to poison anyone's mind, by reinforcing distorted uncharitable stereotypes about them, or undermine Mitt Romney's bid for President. I do oppose the LDS Church, however, and so my purpose is to clarify the many differences between Christianity and the Mormon Religion, and thereby help people understand both religions better.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2012 - 6:14PM #2
Ironhold

What you're doing, Theo, is spamming.

Making this many new threads in such short order?

Not cool.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 3:53PM #3
Aka_me

Mar 24, 2012 -- 6:14PM, Ironhold wrote:

What you're doing, Theo, is spamming.

Making this many new threads in such short order?

Not cool.

what is the "Ironhold's allowable thread creation per limit per hour"?

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 4:03PM #4
Theo

Actually Iron there was a method to my madness. I wanted separate discussions for the various topics, so we could have a coherent discussion. And so I divided my article up into bite-sized segments, generally discussing one of my responses to one Mormon bullet point per thread.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2012 - 7:29PM #5
Ironhold

The point still stands, though, that you made a dozen new threads in relatively short order.

I've been to places where this would have brought the mods down on you for spamming.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 12:20AM #6
Theo

All I had to do to post these threads was wait for 5 minutes before starting a new thread. No Bnet rules were broken as far as I can tell.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:20PM #7
Esdraelon

Mar 25, 2012 -- 7:29PM, Ironhold wrote:

The point still stands, though, that you made a dozen new threads in relatively short order.

I've been to places where this would have brought the mods down on you for spamming.

Possibly in those 'other places' your spam was spam.....

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook