Page 37 of 38  •  Prev 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Jesus the Divine Creator
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 4:20AM #361
Miguel_de_servet

Apr 12, 2012 -- 1:13AM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

There is no need to reply to the repeated vulgarity of the vulgar lady, since she's given her confused "orthodox Christian (Trinitarian)" answer to amcolph. I will leave it for him to discover enjoy the ... er ... delights of the vulgar lady's ... er ... "trinitarian realism" ...

Apr 12, 2012 -- 2:44AM, Adelphe wrote:

... it is not the red herring that "there is no need to reply", it is simply that you have no good answer to the question.

What I've written.

May I add here that I'm really curious to see how the lady will reply, with "the attention it deserves", to amcolph's post #357 ...

MdS

Revelation is above, not against Reason

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 11:12AM #362
amcolph

Apr 12, 2012 -- 2:38AM, Adelphe wrote:

Amcolph, I'm in amsterdam at the moment on a bb and given the riotous bandwidth-sucking formatting [embarrass] on this thread I cannot give your post the attention it deserves at the moment but will soon...

I would be much obliged--obviously I am missing something.

I was, one might say, born a Nominalist and--as little as I thought about it--was not aware that other options existed untill I went off to college and came under the instruction of members of an RC religious order who 'taught the controversy' and took up various positions personally. They evidently did not regard the question as crucial to their faith.

That is where the matter rested until I came to Beliefnet where I find Realism being argued most vociferously, especially by Evangelical Protestants (those who know what it is) or at least assumed, conciously or unconciously, as a self-evident truth.

I suppose it would be amusing, although probably fruitless, to debate the relative merits of Realism v. Nominalism, but I am more interested in understanding why some might see Realism as an essential component of theology.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 5:26PM #363
Miguel_de_servet

Apr 12, 2012 -- 11:12AM, amcolph wrote:

... obviously I am missing something.

I think you do, but it's not your fault. It's the poor lady that is playing Hide & Seek ...

MdS

“The everlasting God is a refuge, and underneath you are his eternal arms ...” (Deut 33:27)
“Do you have an arm like God, and can you thunder with a voice like his?” (Job 40:9)
“By the Lord’s word [dabar] the heavens were made; and by the breath [ruwach] of his mouth all their host.” (Psalm 33:6)
“Who would have believed what we just heard? When was the arm of the Lord revealed through him?” (Isaiah 53:1)
“Lord, who has believed our message, and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?” (John 12:38)
“For not the hearers of the law are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be declared righteous.” (Romans 2:13)

“Owe no one anything, except to love one another, for the one who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law.”(Romans 13:8)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2012 - 5:42PM #364
amcolph

Apr 14, 2012 -- 5:26PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

I think you do, but it's not your fault. It's the poor lady that is playing Hide & Seek ...

MdS

Well, she said she was in Amsterdam, and I don't know about Adelphe, but if I were in Amsterdam I would probably be incapable of using a computer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 3:19AM #365
Adelphe

Apr 14, 2012 -- 5:42PM, amcolph wrote:

Apr 14, 2012 -- 5:26PM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

MdS

Well, she said she was in Amsterdam, and I don't know about Adelphe, but if I were in Amsterdam I would probably be incapable of using a computer.

LOL!!!  You sound like fun, amcolph, and I'd tip a pint with you anytime. Smile

But Amsterdam was soooooo...Trafalgar Square, Picadilly Circus, city tour, National Gallery, the Churchill War Rooms, the Strand, Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, Bath, and not a couple of pubs ago...

Today's itinerary, a detailed examination of the Tower of London, the torture museum, and Westminster Abbey.  Oh, and an "official" Afternoon Tea (can't wait for clotted cream--love it)!  (Oh, and a night-time "Jack the Ripper" tour--dont' ask me, wasn't my idea...)

Coming up, L'Italia!

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 7:11AM #366
Miguel_de_servet

Apr 15, 2012 -- 3:19AM, Adelphe wrote:

Coming up, L'Italia!

I'm still waiting to see how the lady will reply, with "the attention it deserves", to amcolph's post #357 ...

MdS

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 12:58PM #367
Adelphe

Apr 15, 2012 -- 7:11AM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

Coming up, L'Italia!

I'm still waiting to see how the lady will reply, with "the attention it deserves", to amcolph's post #357 ...

MdS

Why?  You've got your own knitting to tend to here (I even made it purposely simple so you might possibly...be able to handle it.)  Certainly don't bother trying to ride on amcolph's coattails.  He understands metaphysics, ontology, and universals and you...don't.

Embarassed

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 3:46PM #368
Miguel_de_servet

Apr 15, 2012 -- 12:58PM, Adelphe wrote:

Apr 15, 2012 -- 7:11AM, Miguel_de_servet wrote:

Coming up, L'Italia!

Why?  You've got your own knitting to tend to here (I even made it purposely simple so you might possibly...be able to handle it.)  Certainly don't bother trying to ride on amcolph's coattails.  He understands metaphysics, ontology, and universals and you...don't.

The poor lady's  provocations have absolutely no effect. Let's see if she can get on with her knitting ...

... before she exposes herself entirely for the pathetic bluff she is ...

MdS

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 5:03PM #369
amcolph

I'm not necessarily looking for the 'right' answer, whatever that may be.  Adelphe's mere opinion would be interesting of itself.

Or yours, for that matter:  why is Realism regarded in some circles as fundamental to Christianity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 7:14AM #370
Miguel_de_servet

amcolph

Apr 15, 2012 -- 5:03PM, amcolph wrote:

I'm not necessarily looking for the 'right' answer, whatever that may be.  Adelphe's mere opinion would be interesting of itself.

Or yours, for that matter:  why is Realism regarded in some circles as fundamental to Christianity?

Oh, I know the answer, but I don't want to give it here, otherwise I would spoil the ... er ... "spontaneity" of the poor lady's response to your post #357 ... Cool

... so I will send it to you as Private Message ... Smile

MdS

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 37 of 38  •  Prev 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook