Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Life on Noah's ark the year of the flood
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 7:07AM #1
Newtonian

This thread is for all of you - whatever you believe. You may have watched the movie "The Bible" - I liked it. It depicted life on the ark. Those of you who don't believe could still post as if this was just a movie. Those who do believe realize it was a movie also.

This thread is meant to be serious but also entertaining - feel free to let your imagination have  free reign - but please keep it within the parameters of the Biblical account of the flood and Noah's ark.

There is much the Bible says - and much the Bible leaves out.

How many animals were on the ark?   We know 2 of each unclean and 7 of each clean - but how many kinds?

From our Bible dictionary, one estimate:

"Some investigators have said that just 43 "kinds" of mammals, 74 "kinds" of birds, and 10 "kinds" of reptiles could have produced the great variety of species of these creatures that are known today. The ark had about 40,000 cu m (1,400,000 cu ft) of usable space—ample for the passenger list." - "Insight on the Scriptures," Vol.1, p, 327.

I will post assuming about 1,000 animals larger than a field mouse, perhaps 100 animals larger than a cat.  And, btw, cats would not have eaten mice - and feel free to quote relevant Scriptures in your posts, e.g.:

(Genesis

1:29, 30) . . .And God went on to say: "Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. 30 And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food." And it came to be so.

But how could green vegetation remain on the ark for a year?  

Well, my wife and I are organic gardeners which Noah and his family would also have been.   Also we are animal lovers - as Noah would have to have been.   So, while the Bible does not specify, I imagine Noah and his family enjoyed organic gardening along those windows below the roof of the ark.   How many windows were there?   The Bible does give some detail, you all can then post further detail you imagine or deduce:

(Genesis

6:14-16) . . .Make for yourself an ark out of wood of a resinous tree. You will make compartments in the ark, and you must cover it inside and outside with tar. 15 And this is how you will make it: three hundred cubits the length of the ark, fifty cubits its width, and thirty cubits its height. 16 You will make a tso′har [roof; or, window] for the ark, and you will complete it to the extent of a cubit upward, and the entrance of the ark you will put in its side; you will make it with a lower [story], a second [story] and a third [story].

In this opening post (OP) I will concentrate on the tsohar/window/roof/light.   Being an organic gardener, as Noah was, I will assume he allowed light and air through the one cubit (c. 18 inch) high tsohar around the entire length and width of the ark.  

However, our Bible dictionary explores possible meanings of tsohar:

""You will make a tso′har [roof; or, window] for the ark," Noah was told. (Ge 6:16) Just what this was or how it was constructed is not altogether clear. Some scholars think tso′har is related to light and so they translate it "window" (KJ, Mo), "light" (AS, JP), "a place for light" (Ro). Others, however, associate tso′har with a later Arabic root meaning "back (of the hand)," "back (of a beast)," "deck (of a ship)," that is, the part away from the ground or water, and for this reason translate it "roof." (AT, RS, JB) This tso′har, Noah was told, was to be completed "to the extent of a cubit upward."—Ge 6:16.

It could be, therefore, that the tso′har provided for adequate light and ventilation, not just a single cubit-square "peephole," but an opening a cubit in height near the roof and extending around the four sides to give an opening of nearly 140 sq m (1,500 sq ft). On the other hand, while still allowing an ample opening for ventilation under the roof or elsewhere, the roof could have had slightly angled sides. Regarding this possibility James F. Armstrong wrote in Vetus Testamentum (Leiden, 1960, p. 333): "‘Unto a cubit upward you shall finish it’ is difficult to understand when sohar is translated either ‘light (= window)’ or even ‘(flat) roof’. If, however, a gable-type roof be postulated, the ‘one cubit upward’ can refer to the elevation of the crease of the roof above the level of the tops of the walls. In modern architectural terms, the ‘one cubit’ would be the height of the kingposts between which the ridgepiece is laid. . . . According to the argument that has been presented, the roof of Noah’s ark was conceived as having a four per-cent pitch (1 cubit elevation — 25 cubits from wall to ridge), quite adequate to permit the water of the rains to flow off."" - "Insight on the Scriptures," Volume 1, p. 164

Enter an organic gardener's imagination here - i.e. me:  An organic gardener would plan to garden that year on the ark - and would have made sure there was plenty of room to garden along the sills and extending inside the ark perhaps 1 cubit or 2 feet or so.    While Noah would not have wanted too much floodwater to enter, he would likely have wanted a  little so as to water the window boxes along the entire length and width of the ark.  These could drain into darker lower window boxes underneath where shade loving plants could grow, and these could drain into totally dark window boxes underneath where mushrooms would grow.

Enter a food lover - me again!   Sure will appreciate those cows and goats, etc!   I love cream of mushroom soup!

Of course, that requires cooking.  I suspect more or less constant cooking on the lowest floor - since this would also provide needed light and heat.     In case you missed it - mushrooms plus milk = cream of mushroom soup!

Of course, Noah would also have wanted fresh water to drain from the roof and collected for drinking and cooking.

But how much room would they have had for gardening inside the tsohar?

At least 1500 sq. feet -as per the height of the tsohar multiplied by the dimensions.   300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide = c. 450 feet long, 75 feet wide.   Or, 1,050 feet long all together.  With 18 inch window boxes, this would be about 1500 sq. feet for the upper sun-loving window box.   The lower window box should start about 6 inches under the upper one, and extend a futher foot - hence another 1500 sq. feet for shade loving plants.

Of course, there would be thousands of sq. feet under this available for mushrooms (and worms for worm castings for gardening).

How much food could Noah and his family have grown on that 3,000 sq. feet?   Those of you who are also organic gardeners know: plenty!

Further, I suspect Noah brought in specimen trees - certainly a fig tree!   These would be planted below the mushroom farms and grow up to the tsohar.   Not many trees, of course.   Perhaps 5 along the 450 feet on each side, or 10 in all.   Many animals love trees - and Noah loved animals - so there must have been at least some small trees on the ark - I think!

I suspect at least two trees were not small, btw.  Of course, small enough for 8 people to transplant - but perhaps over 20 feet tall!   The ark was 45 feet high.   Assuming each of the three floors were 15 feet in height - Those two tallest trees would need to have been planted on the second story - likely in an elevated box so as to avoid rotting the floor.

In view of the lack of light, I suspect flora that grows in understories of jungles would also have been planted in the ark.   Many insects, animals and birds would love this - and Noah would love to have strived to make them enjoy life on the ark that year.

Please note - there would be no planting on the floor of the lowest story - that would cause rot - not a good thing!   Noah was not stupid!

However, some rot (1 years worth) in window boxes would not have been bad - various insects would just love this!

Btw - I have personal experience with this.   When living on Long Island, New York, I grew plants in my attic in window boxes!   I put some windows on the roof itself and the window boxes were watered by outside rain.  It does work!   They don't rot through in one year!

These house (er - ark) plants would also have cleaned the air in the ark and provided added oxygen - not to mention food for man and animals - and the fragrance of flowers plus honey from those honey bees!

In short, the ark would have been flowing with milk and honey!   A veritable organic gardener's and animal lover's paradise!

OK, you all - let your imaginations run free reign.  Enjoy!

I will be sleeping on it now!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 9:07AM #2
Kemmer

"Some investigators have said that just 43 "kinds" of mammals, 74 "kinds" of birds, and 10 "kinds" of reptiles could have produced the great variety of species of these creatures that are known today.

So birds, mammals, and reptiles may "evolve" with wild abandon, but human evolution is a strict no-no, right?

Doesn't anyone see a contradiction here? I mean 8 Mesopotamians evolved into the  world's population of 7 billion wildly different races and cultures found on our planet in only 4000 years. 

The Egyptian civilization existed for 3000 years virtually unchanged, stretching back way before the alleged "flood".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 10:19AM #3
matica

I wonder if the sheep were lonely?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 10:56AM #4
AnnOMaly

Yep, a sea-buffeted box with tiny windows in a 40 day-long rainstorm provide the ideal horticultural growing conditions.

www.watchtower.org/images/my/10.jpg

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 12:34PM #5
Kemmer

In short, the ark would have been flowing with milk and honey!   A veritable organic gardener's and animal lover's paradise!

But the SMELL!!  Yell

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 4:46PM #6
Newtonian

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:56AM, AnnOMaly wrote:

Yep, a sea-buffeted box with tiny windows in a 40 day-long rainstorm provide the ideal horticultural growing conditions.

www.watchtower.org/images/my/10.jpg

Appearances can be deceiving, Ann!   I was posting about the inside of the ark.   They lived for about one year in a box that was 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high - by comparison my wife and I live in a trailer (box) 70 feet long, 14 feet wide and about 8 feet high!   Trailers may not look like much from the outside - but the insides of trailers vary incredibly according to the tastes and work of the builder and dwellers therein. 

Use your imagination and consider what an incredible living room they could have had!

Here is one possibility assuming they lived on the top floor and starting with one of 4 bedrooms.

The bedroom had one wall on the outside, 20 feet wide, 14 feet high with 18" windows along the entire 20 feet of the interior-exterior wall along which they had planted fragrant flowers - what an aroma in that room!  How long was the bedroom?  Let us say 40 feet - a 20' by 40' bedroom would be spacious enough! 

Next to the bedroom toward one end of the ark (but not there yet) would be a spacious 40' by 30' foot (15' high) totally interior living room extending 40 feet closer to one end of the ark.   There would be large 10' high windows on 3 of the walls which allow viewing of 3 different gardening areas on the exterior walls of one end of the ark.   The 30 feet would be taken from the total 75 foot width of the ark, thus two of the gardening areas would be 22.5 feet wide and 30 feet long.   The plants closest to the windows would be shade loving jungle plants that require only low light conditions - including fragrant orchids, beautiful bromeliads, etc.  Along with incredibly shade tolerant plants like Sanseveria (snake plant) and Philodendron.   Viewing through those windows towards the exterior wall, one would see the more common plants that tolerate partial shade but need a little sun - like violets with edible leaves and colorful flowers, begonias - including tuberous and angel wing.   And, finally - a 30 foot long, 24 inch high row of mixed flowers and veggies (starting 6 inches below the windows, in roughly 4-6 inches of soil in the window boxes.   These window boxes contained plants requiring at least some sunlight - and once the violence of the first 40 days abated, various vines would be allowed to grow outside through the windows - tomatoe, grape, trumpet, Ivy, etc.   Stictly inside would be all sorts of annual and perenial flowers - like marigolds, petunias, salvias, torenias, etc. The variety would be incredible!

That's just one of the gardening areas the spacious living room would allow views of - and, btw, there would be lanterns suspended from the ceiling using fragrant oils which would light both the living room and the shade portion of the gardening areas.

to be continued  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 5:07PM #7
mecdukebec

Did anybody fish from the Ark and if so, did they eat fish on Fridays, in Arksville?

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 5:20PM #8
Newtonian

Mar 10, 2012 -- 5:07PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Did anybody fish from the Ark and if so, did they eat fish on Fridays, in Arksville?

Mec - you missed OP!  All animal life, including the Noah and his wife and 3 sons and their 3 wives - were vegetarian.

And God went on to say: “Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food. 30 And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it came to be so. - Genesis 1:29,30

Thus the manures used for gardening were vegetarian - which don't smell that bad, btw - like horse and cow manure many organic gardeners use today.    Of course, no manures near these specific gardening areas - that would be for gardening near the center of the length of the ark, and buried under the soil of course.

Of course, God could have allowed fishing towards the end of the voyage - since He was about to allow the eating of meat upon departure from the ark - but that is unknown speculation!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 6:44PM #9
Kemmer

And, btw, cats would not have eaten mice

Thanks to the 25 cases of Fancy Feast catfood Noah thoughtfully stored away.

In case you missed it - mushrooms plus milk = cream of mushroom soup!

Newt, never open a restaurant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 7:44PM #10
Knowsnothing

It's interesting when you compare it to modern cruise ships.  For example, look at the amount of food consumed on the Queen Mary 2 per year (4,000 passenger's max at any given time, ~900 crew members as well)

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/...

www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2009/...

Queen Mary 2 passengers annually consume:

• 230,000 bottles of wine, plus 1.5 million other drinks
              • 55,000 pounds of coffee
              • 7,000 boxes of strawberries (and I don't mean pints)
              • 38,000 pounds of smoked salmon
              • 198,000 pounds of pineapples
              • Enough beef to supply the city of Southampton (UK) for one year

• The QM 2 uses 400 lbs of veal & beef bones per day to make stock.

• There are 230 employees in the galley under Karl's direction.

• Stefan has 680 people reporting to him in F&B. This includes the wait staff, bar crew, maitre d's, and Karl's team in the kitchen.

• The crew alone goes through 400 pounds of rice per day.

• On a given day 1,300 might dine in the Brittania restaurant at one seating at dinner alone. The standard of the food is excellent, especially when you consider the size of the crowd.

• Between 14,000 and 16,000 meals are served per day. Whereas the predecessor Queen Elizabeth 2 had three dining venues, on the Queen Mary 2, there are 10. More than 30 different menus are printed per day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook