Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is lying considered a sin?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:14PM #1
mainecaptain
I have not been able to get a proper answer, and am sinerely interested. Is it or isn't it?
If not can it be explained. Thanks in advance.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:20PM #2
Adelphe

Yes, in the view of most Christians.

In the view of a minority, ask yourself this question:  Is it right to lie to save a life?

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:25PM #3
davelaw40

Is there really an easy answer?

The 10 commandments forbid bearing false witness.

Thats not the same as lying.

Its OK to lie to your enemies and to lie to liars.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:26PM #4
Bob_the_Lunatic

"Lies make baby jesus cry"  -Todd Flanders, The Simpsons

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:27PM #5
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 9, 2012 -- 7:25PM, davelaw40 wrote:

Is there really an easy answer?

Psst Dave (there are NO answers in chrsitanity)

Psst (Don't tell adelphe)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:31PM #6
teilhard

If William Jefferson "Slick Willie" Clinton lies under Oath about his doings with Monica Lewinsky -- Yes, it's a Sin ...

If a Person lies to The Gestapo in 1941 about The Jews hiding in The Attic -- No, it's NOT a Sin ... In THAT Case, it would be a Sin to Tell The TRUTH ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:34PM #7
mainecaptain

Just trying to figure out how people think. How people can condemn one thing and not the other when the two things are  almost the same, but coming from different sides.

I am sure it is cognitive dissonance.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:38PM #8
Adelphe

Mar 9, 2012 -- 7:34PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Just trying to figure out how people think. How people can condemn one thing and not the other when the two things are  almost the same, but coming from different sides.

I don't know if you are referring to something specific, but I happen to agree--God will always honor truth-telling.  There are zero commands, laws, or precepts against the truth--no matter what.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 8:21PM #9
teilhard

Well ...

I am absolutely Christianly CERTAIN that telling The Gestapo The TRUTH about where The Jews are hiding, how many there are, who has been helping them, when to approach their Hiding Place so as to take them by Surprise with NO Resistance ... Yes, THAT would be a GRAVE Sin ...

Not everyone has a RIGHT to The Truth ...

Mar 9, 2012 -- 7:38PM, Adelphe wrote:

Mar 9, 2012 -- 7:34PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I don't know if you are referring to something specific, but I happen to agree--God will always honor truth-telling.  There are zero commands, laws, or precepts against the truth--no matter what.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 8:37PM #10
Adelphe

Mar 9, 2012 -- 8:21PM, teilhard wrote:

Well ...

I am absolutely Christianly CERTAIN that telling The Gestapo The TRUTH about where The Jews are hiding, how many there are, who has been helping them, when to approach their Hiding Place so as to take them by Surprise with NO Resistance ... Yes, THAT would be a GRAVE Sin ...

I totally disagree.  We have no idea what God intends to do (it's called...faith)--He just may be using that scenario to have that member of "The Gestapo" turn to Him.  Or 100 other possibilities (not the least of which He pulls some totally unexpected--impossible to conceive of from a human perspective--miracle out of His...hat.)

Not everyone has a RIGHT to The Truth ...

First, according to man, no.  Second, again--God will always honor the truth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook