Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is the Book of Revelation just an old yarn?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 7:21AM #1
LittleLes
It is difficult to understand how and why the Book of Revelation, the last book in the New Testament, became part of the Bible.

Even the New American Bible, Revised Edition, Introduction to Revelation, 2011, admits:

"This book contains an account of visions in symbolic and allegorical language borrowed extensively from the Old Testament, especially Ezekiel, Zechariah, and Daniel. Whether or not these visions were real experiences of the author or simply literary conventions employed by him is an open question.

This much, however, is certain: symbolic descriptions are not to be taken as literal descriptions, nor is the symbolism meant to be pictured realistically."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 8:55AM #2
cherubino

It turns out the Book of Revelation may well have been written as satire. If that be so, then who's the joke on now?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 9:45AM #3
adamcro-magnon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 9:47AM #4
river8101

I know a poster on B Net who believes every word in the bible to be true, even takes the Adam and Eve and talking snake fable seriously.   (Even takes Rush seriously.)  I personally take very little of the bible seriously.  To me, it's filled with myths and writings with no proof, and is used by leaders and their armies for obedience.  Heaven if you believe as they tell you and hell forever if you don't. That includes the Book of Revelation.

PS  Elaine Pagels is great!

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 6:25PM #5
hewy1952

Mar 8, 2012 -- 8:55AM, cherubino wrote:

It turns out the Book of Revelation may well have been written as satire. If that be so, then who's the joke on now?

Cher:

This is twice.  Once more, and you will be damned.  You simply cannot call the whore of Babylon riding a red seven headed dragon satire.  What the hell is wrong with you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 7:02PM #6
cherubino

Mar 9, 2012 -- 6:25PM, hewy1952 wrote:

Cher:

This is twice.  Once more, and you will be damned.  You simply cannot call the whore of Babylon riding a red seven headed dragon satire.  What the hell is wrong with you?

Sorry. I'm working on it.

Oh, and by the way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 8:01PM #7
hewy1952

Mar 9, 2012 -- 7:02PM, cherubino wrote:

Mar 9, 2012 -- 6:25PM, hewy1952 wrote:

Cher:

Sorry. I'm working on it.

Oh, and by the way.

Oh, yuck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 6:45PM #8
Marcion

The book of revelation was written by a Greek in a Hemp patch.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 8:40AM #9
LittleLes

The Ecumenical Council of Trent, DECREE CONCERNING THE CANONICAL SCRIPTURES

"....the written books, and the unwritten traditions which, received by the Apostles from the mouth of Christ himself, or from the Apostles themselves, the Holy Ghost dictating, have come down even unto us....

"And it has thought it meet that a list of the sacred books be inserted in this decree, lest a doubt may arise in any one's mind, which are the books that are received by this Synod. They are as set down here below: ..... Apocalypse of John the apostle."

"The teaching is infallible that all of Sacred Scripture is inspired and inerrant, in all its parts, such that no error of any kind can be found in Sacred Scripture. This belief requires the full assent of faith from all Catholic Christians. The contrary is therefore a heresy, and all who adhere to that heresy, as is the case for any heresy, fall under the sentence of automatic excommunication under Canon Law 1364 §1."

by Ronald L. Conte Jr.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 1:29PM #10
Marcion

Oh, excomminacation I'm shaking in my boots. I am excommunicated by the most evil institution on earth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook