Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View God must be angry with gay people again.
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 7:34AM #1
matica
Just sitting here drinking my morning  cup of coffee watching HLN seeing all the devistation that's happening. Wonder when Pat Robertson is gonna come out and speak out on behalf of all christians that god hates gay people and that's why there are so many tornado's hitting the US.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 9:30AM #2
Esdraelon

Mar 3, 2012 -- 7:34AM, matica wrote:

Just sitting here drinking my morning  cup of coffee watching HLN seeing all the devistation that's happening. Wonder when Pat Robertson is gonna come out and speak out on behalf of all christians that god hates gay people and that's why there are so many tornado's hitting the US.

It's too early to be sneaking a chock into that coffee, Matica.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 10:31AM #3
REteach

Mar 3, 2012 -- 7:34AM, matica wrote:

Good question. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 10:39AM #4
Rgurley4

Nah...REAL Christ-followers believe:

1. God brings sun + rain = weather on the just and the unjust.

2. God HATES "SIN"...BUT GOD LOVES and has Mercy on "SINNERS"

3. God never pours out his wrath on the "innocent".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 10:56AM #5
Heretic_for_Christ

Mar 3, 2012 -- 10:39AM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Nah...REAL Christ-followers believe:

1. God brings sun + rain = weather on the just and the unjust.

2. God HATES "SIN"...BUT GOD LOVES and has Mercy on "SINNERS"

3. God never pours out his wrath on the "innocent".

Ron, I agree! But perhaps you remember back maybe 20 or 25 years, when there was terrible flooding along the Mississippi River, and someone from "Operation Rescue" went on television and proclaimed that this was God's punishment because abortion is legal in America. A reporter asked (I am paraphrasing here), "But most of the victims of the flooding are devout Christians, southerners, farmers, family people--why would God inflict this suffering on them if he wants to punish us for allowing abortion?" And the Operation Rescue person said (and here I am quoting pretty accurately), "Well, that's the nature of sin. It affects all of us."

Nothing changes. Five years ago or so, there was a terrible tsunami that devastated Asian Pacific regions. And sure enough, we immediately heard, "It is God's wrath."

My thought was that if omniscient, omnipotent God wants to inflict punishment, he could do so with a bit more precision directed at those who have offended him. I also thought that a lot of people must envision God as chronically dyspeptic.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 5:00PM #6
mainecaptain

Only an evil being would harm people at all, let alone so randomly. You are right Heretic. An Omni Onmi god should have better aim.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 5:08PM #7

Luke 13

1 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 5:10PM #8
Paladinsf

Mar 4, 2012 -- 5:08PM, 57 wrote:

Luke 13

1 Now there were some present at that time who told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2 Jesus answered, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish. 4 Or those eighteen who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them—do you think they were more guilty than all the others living in Jerusalem? 5 I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish.”

Ahn example of why belief in these myths is ANTI-human.

And anti-reason.

The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe.
The belief in supernatural religion will kill us all if we don't outgrow it.

When I first read "End of Faith" I thought Sam went too far. The more I read and listen to these "believers" the more I wonder if maybe he wasn't right after all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 5:16PM #9

Mar 4, 2012 -- 5:10PM, Paladinsf wrote:

Mar 4, 2012 -- 5:08PM, 57 wrote:

Luke 13

Ahn example of why belief in these myths is ANTI-human.

And anti-reason.

You make no sense.  I thought about your response and thought it really didn't fit.   What does anti-human have to do with the verse?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2012 - 5:36PM #10
Paladinsf

"But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

That attitude is self-hatred, hatred of humanity both collectively and individually, blanket condemnation of an enire species based on the absurd idea that each individual is BORN defective and diseased.

The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe.
The belief in supernatural religion will kill us all if we don't outgrow it.

When I first read "End of Faith" I thought Sam went too far. The more I read and listen to these "believers" the more I wonder if maybe he wasn't right after all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook