Page 8 of 33  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pureland Buddhism/ Jesus historic kingdom of God
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:17AM #71
Bob_the_Lunatic

He didn't dispute the jailbird comment, so one has to assume it's true.  Chevy, you'll have to PM me a link on that, it sounds like Bh was just a Joe Smith in another country then eh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 10:30AM #72
Aka_me

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:17AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

He didn't dispute the jailbird comment, so one has to assume it's true.  Chevy, you'll have to PM me a link on that, it sounds like Bh was just a Joe Smith in another country then eh.

to acknowledge the ignorance would be akin to giving it credence.

there would actually have to have been a crime...

but just as with modern persecution there hasn't been any crime.

this amounts to nothing more than attempting to create offense

which is praiseworthy and promoting of enlightenment in the Eightfold Path.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 11:39AM #73
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 2, 2012 -- 10:30AM, Aka_me wrote:

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:17AM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

to acknowledge the ignorance would be akin to giving it credence.

there would actually have to have been a crime...

but just as with modern persecution there hasn't been any crime.

this amounts to nothing more than attempting to create offense

which is praiseworthy and promoting of enlightenment in the Eightfold Path.

Are you actually saying something here?  Or just throwing a bunch of buzzwords together.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:22PM #74
dio

Mar 1, 2012 -- 3:26PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Mar 1, 2012 -- 2:27PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Mar 1, 2012 -- 1:51PM, dio wrote:

All I'm saying is beyond Christianity and beyond Buddhism there is a truth they are both pointing to. You seem to not agree with this, saying rather speak to me of Buddhism.

Why not try to explain what the doctrine of nothingness means to you? Get philosophical.  

I don't have a doctrine of nothingness, nor have you yet qualified to discuss Buddhism.  And since they point to different, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT truths, your statement is quite ignorant.  Only someone who has no comprehension whatsoever of Buddhism, Christianity or both could try to claim they are pointing to the same thing-it's way beyond ignorant.  Really, it's just wishful thinking.  

Also, to arrive at that conclusion Dio, all you have to stand on is Logical Fallacies, namely Strawman Fallacies and the Fallacy of Equivocation.  This means such statements are empty and irrelevant to the debate.

Huston Smith who knew more about religions than any other American of his generation thought all religions had the same kernel of truth.

He wrote the textbook on comparative religions.

www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/20...

Yes I've read Huston Smiths book and am a fan of Joseph Campbell too. I am quite familiar with Christianity and am now exploring Buddhism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:37PM #75
dio

I have seen the term, "original mind" in my buddhist lit. readings. Would any Buddhist care to share what their understanding of original mind is?

1. Is it a universal transcendant or

2. A universal spark in every person?

I believe it is a Buddhist idea, Original mind, what is it,  thoughts please?

I simply like to tumble around the ideas I come across for better understanding, no harm intended.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:51PM #76
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:22PM, dio wrote:

Mar 1, 2012 -- 3:26PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Mar 1, 2012 -- 2:27PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Mar 1, 2012 -- 1:51PM, dio wrote:

All I'm saying is beyond Christianity and beyond Buddhism there is a truth they are both pointing to. You seem to not agree with this, saying rather speak to me of Buddhism.

Why not try to explain what the doctrine of nothingness means to you? Get philosophical.  

I don't have a doctrine of nothingness, nor have you yet qualified to discuss Buddhism.  And since they point to different, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT truths, your statement is quite ignorant.  Only someone who has no comprehension whatsoever of Buddhism, Christianity or both could try to claim they are pointing to the same thing-it's way beyond ignorant.  Really, it's just wishful thinking.  

Also, to arrive at that conclusion Dio, all you have to stand on is Logical Fallacies, namely Strawman Fallacies and the Fallacy of Equivocation.  This means such statements are empty and irrelevant to the debate.

Huston Smith who knew more about religions than any other American of his generation thought all religions had the same kernel of truth.

He wrote the textbook on comparative religions.

www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/20...

Yes I've read Huston Smiths book and am a fan of Joseph Campbell too. I am quite familiar with Christianity and am now exploring Buddhism.

To me "exploring" means EXPLORING:  Researching and actually practicing.  Just as Smith did for example.  And other versions of the word would describe something similar.  

That said Dio, please answer the following:

1/  How do YOU define "exploring"?

2/  Which sects of Buddhism are you "exploring"?

Also, this question is rhetorical:  Why do most of your posts in Beliefs Buddhism mention christianity and have christianity at their heart if you are not proselytizing?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:54PM #77
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:37PM, dio wrote:

I have seen the term, "original mind" in my buddhist lit. readings. Would any Buddhist care to share what their understanding of original mind is?

I simply like to tumble around the ideas I come across for better understanding, no harm intended.

I agree Dio, you like to discuss these ideas among yourself.  Most of us would ask people who actually practice Buddhism and then listen, to "better understand" a thing PERTAINING TO BUDDHISM.  To most of us, THAT is the "tumbling" you profess to be doing *cough rofl*.  

On the other hand, those who  fish for answers they wish to hear, ie lead the witness over and over and over and over and over are not "tumbling" but rather "justifying".  Do you see the difference?

That said, I find the "question" insulting, as it is disguised as a question, and not really a question to us.

And this AGAIN is a CHRISTIAN POST pretending to be one about Buddhism.  This is just a repeated insult to the whole board, and I would argue a repeated violation of ROC.  Obviously someone thinks we are all very stupid.

Now that I see the TRUE NATURE of these posts, it's easy to spot the true meaning of all such posts.  And now I see, NONE OF THEM ARE REALLY ABOUT BUDDHISM.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:55PM #78
Ferretling

I have no desire to share my thoughts on what this means because you'll only tell me I'm wrong, anyway. What's the point?

Again, stop reading and start practicing. When you've practiced a while, THEN read.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:57PM #79
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:55PM, Ferretling wrote:

I have no desire to share my thoughts on what this means because you'll only tell me I'm wrong, anyway. What's the point?

Again, stop reading and start practicing. When you've practiced a while, THEN read.

Read my last post and ponder it for a sec Ferret, it's true.  And now it makes sense:  If someone wanted to actually learn about Buddhism or even compare it to xianity or some other theist belief, then they'd actually ask questions, and LISTEN, and learn from Buddhists to do so.

Yet, the true nature of these posts is to push christianity, it's now quite obvious to me-and THAT explains why there is zero listening or learning on one side of this equation...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2012 - 1:59PM #80
Bob_the_Lunatic

Mar 2, 2012 -- 1:55PM, Ferretling wrote:

Why would he do that? He's not trying to learn about Buddhism, he's trying to teach us about Christianity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 33  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook