Post Reply
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View What does everyone get out of this.....
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 12:23AM #11
Newtonian
Posts: 11,973

Mattica - Concerning the earth being at or near the tipping point, as per the movie - and your doubts concerning this, and our online articles concerning this:


 Article entitled How Sick is our planet?


www.watchtower.org/e/20031122a/article_0... The article notes that the media calls attention to various problems in headlines like: "The media regularly call attention to earth's poor health with such headlines and captions as: "Blast fishing turns seabeds into killing fields." A "Billion Asians Could Be Parched in 24 Years." "Forty million tons of toxic trash a year trades globally." "Nearly two thirds of the 1,800 wells in Japan are contaminated with poisons." "Ozone Hole Over Antarctic Is Back and Bigger.""


Of course, one must research these to determine the extent of these problems.  E.g. overfishing:


"A report by the United Nations Environment Programme says that "70 percent of marine fisheries are so exploited that reproduction cannot or can just barely keep up." For example, populations of cod, hake, haddock, and flounder in the North Atlantic fell by as much as 95 percent between 1989 and 1994"


Also briefly discussed: deforestation, toxic wastes, chemicals; and mentioned: untreated sewage, lack of clean water, acid rain and air pollution.


The next in this series of articles is "Can we save our environment"


www.watchtower.org/e/20031122a/article_0...


The article points to various organizations trying to help save the enviroment, e.g.:


"Various organizations have also been sounding the alarm about threats to the environment. These include the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization; the United Nations Environment Programme; and Greenpeace. Some merely report on environmental problems as they happen to relate to their work. Others are dedicated to the cause of keeping environmental issues to the fore. Greenpeace is well-known for sending activists to environmental hot spots and attracting public attention to such matters as global warming, endangered species, and dangers of genetically modified animals and plants."


 The article also quotes reports concerning some of the problems: "One billion people do not have access to safe drinking water. According to Time magazine, "3.4 million die each year from water-related diseases." Air pollution is a similar problem. The State of World Population 2001 reports that "air pollution kills an estimated 2.7 million to 3.0 million people every year." It adds that "outdoor air pollution harms more than 1.1 billion people." As a specific example, it reports that "fine particulate pollution is responsible for up to 10 per cent of respiratory infections in European children.""


Then the article discusses global warming, the Kyoto protocol and the U.S. rejection of this international agreemenet.   Then the problem of pesticides and of genetically altered plants, e.g.:


"However, in the case of Bt corn, which was designed to control stem borers without pesticide, tests found that it can also kill monarch butterflies."


[A recent TV program reported on the decrease in monarch butterflies as if the cause was unknown!]


The next in this series considers what we can do now, and what Jehovah will do soon.   Since you asserted we do not encourage doing something now, I will emphasize what our article encourages us to do now.   First the linked article:


 www.watchtower.org/e/20031122a/article_0...


An excerpt:


The truth is that while most people are concerned about the environment, many think nothing of throwing trash on the ground, dumping garbage in a river, or leaving lights turned on when they are not being used. Such acts may seem like small things, but if each of the billions of individuals on earth were careful about how he treated the earth, it could make a difference. Such things as being conservative in the use of energy, cooperating with recycling programs, and disposing of trash properly make a contribution toward preserving the environment. By our habits we can demonstrate our care for the earth now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 1:07AM #12
Newtonian
Posts: 11,973


Mattica - continueing - there is this 1996 series of articles concerning endangered species:



Article on "the scope of the problem":


www.watchtower.org/e/19960808/article_01...



Of course, the article reports and documents endangered species - and also the many wildlife protection areas.  However, in view of your assertion, I am stressing what the articles encourage as to what to do about it - an excerpt:



"Many concerned people now espouse so-called green causes, either through movements that publicize the threats of extinction or those that simply educate people about the interdependency of life. And since the 1992 Rio Earth Summit, a greater awareness of environmental issues generally characterizes government thinking."



Next - why species are in danger:


www.watchtower.org/e/19960808/article_02...



See the article for some of the many ways Man is responsible.  Then this article showing what conservationists are doing and the next article how you are involved - ending with good news, btw:


www.watchtower.org/e/19960808/article_03...




www.watchtower.org/e/19960808/article_04...



In 2005 we had this series of articles on cleaner energy, the first article picturing 4 examples first: solar, wind, water (hydroelectric) and geothermal:


www.watchtower.org/e/20050308/article_01...



The next article discusses coal, oil, natural gas and nucear power:


www.watchtower.org/e/20050308/article_02...



An excerpt:



Given the limited supply of and inherent dangers in existing energy sources, the question arises, Is mankind doomed to ruin the earth in their quest to feed their seemingly insatiable thirst for energy? It is obvious that we need clean, reliable alternatives



The next article in the series discusses new developments in Energy, notably wind, solar, hydro, geothermal and hydrogen - especially the hydrogen fuel cell:


www.watchtower.org/e/20050308/article_03...



The last article shares the Scriptural good news that earth and life on it will survive through the action of the ultimate, original, source of all energy!



There is also this 2008 series of articles on global warming:


www.watchtower.org/e/200808/article_01.h...




www.watchtower.org/e/200808/article_02.h...



An excerpt:



In view of what we know, can we expect mankind as a whole to make an about-face so as to spare our beautiful home—and us too? What is more, if human activity is causing global warming, we may have only years, not centuries, to make the needed changes. At the very least, making such changes would mean promptly addressing the root causes of earth’s problems—human greed, self-interest, ignorance, inept government, and apathy.




www.watchtower.org/e/200808/article_03.h...



Starting to get the picture as to why I considered the statement that man's ruining of the earth is at the "tipping point" as per the movie?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 6:09AM #13
DNT
Posts: 1,514

Hey


Well i believe in keeping our eye open, we are living in perilous times and many prophecies have come true, Christians all over are being persecuted because of there faith, there is an Iranian man on death row in Iran and all he has to do is renounce Christ and become a muslim, but he has not done this i hope some here will pray for him. The Bible says when we see the wold going like the days of Noah and Sodom and gomorrah, we are in the last days and the world is just like Sodom and Gomorrah.


God Bless You


Denis

1Ti 3:16  And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 6:15AM #14
Newtonian
Posts: 11,973

Hi Denis - So do you agree we are in the time of the end foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24 & 25; Mark 13 and Luke 21?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 9:20AM #15
matica
Posts: 3,065
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 9:13PM #16
Svetlana
Posts: 11,286

Feb 25, 2012 -- 6:15AM, Newtonian wrote:


Hi Denis - So do you agree we are in the time of the end foretold by Jesus in Matthew 24 & 25; Mark 13 and Luke 21?



Of course we are, just as we have been for every minute of the last several thousand years, and will be for every minute of the next countless years.  We always have been, and we always will be, that's human nature and human history.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 9:18PM #17
Svetlana
Posts: 11,286

Feb 25, 2012 -- 9:20AM, matica wrote:


Global warming is a political tool.....


www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/c...


www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-natu...




Not really.  Global warming is part of the cycle of ice ages, of which we've already had a few.  The temperature will rise, then fall, then rise again, over tens of thousands of years.  That's been proven.  Where the politics MAY come in is in the degree of responsibility man has for any or all of this.  It has happened a good five times in the last 100,000 years or so, and will continue.  To say, however, that man has NO responsibility in climate change is as ignorant as saying that he's responsible for all of it.  I mean "ignorant" descriptively, not derogatorily.  People literally don't know anything about it, and only rely on whatever bit of information they have heard last, or like best, or a combination of the two.


Global warming is indisputable.  Man's responsibility for some of it is equally indisputable, the only thing to debate is the DEGREE of man's responsibility.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 10:13PM #18
Upperlimits
Posts: 3,016

Feb 25, 2012 -- 9:18PM, Svetlana wrote:


Feb 25, 2012 -- 9:20AM, matica wrote:


Global warming is a political tool.....


www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/c...


www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-natu...




Not really.  Global warming is part of the cycle of ice ages, of which we've already had a few.  The temperature will rise, then fall, then rise again, over tens of thousands of years.  That's been proven.  Where the politics MAY come in is in the degree of responsibility man has for any or all of this.  It has happened a good five times in the last 100,000 years or so, and will continue.  To say, however, that man has NO responsibility in climate change is as ignorant as saying that he's responsible for all of it.  I mean "ignorant" descriptively, not derogatorily.  People literally don't know anything about it, and only rely on whatever bit of information they have heard last, or like best, or a combination of the two.


Global warming is indisputable.  Man's responsibility for some of it is equally indisputable, the only thing to debate is the DEGREE of man's responsibility.





I've always thought that the so-called idea of global warming was just a bunch of hot air...

According to 2nd Corinthians 3:2, there are five gospels in the world. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the Epistle of ones own life.  Most people will probably never read the first four.

God desires that our lives would bear spiritual fruit - not religious nuts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 10:21PM #19
Svetlana
Posts: 11,286

Feb 25, 2012 -- 10:13PM, Upperlimits wrote:


Feb 25, 2012 -- 9:18PM, Svetlana wrote:


Feb 25, 2012 -- 9:20AM, matica wrote:


Global warming is a political tool.....


www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/c...


www.drroyspencer.com/global-warming-natu...




Not really.  Global warming is part of the cycle of ice ages, of which we've already had a few.  The temperature will rise, then fall, then rise again, over tens of thousands of years.  That's been proven.  Where the politics MAY come in is in the degree of responsibility man has for any or all of this.  It has happened a good five times in the last 100,000 years or so, and will continue.  To say, however, that man has NO responsibility in climate change is as ignorant as saying that he's responsible for all of it.  I mean "ignorant" descriptively, not derogatorily.  People literally don't know anything about it, and only rely on whatever bit of information they have heard last, or like best, or a combination of the two.


Global warming is indisputable.  Man's responsibility for some of it is equally indisputable, the only thing to debate is the DEGREE of man's responsibility.





I've always thought that the so-called idea of global warming was just a bunch of hot air...



Very funny, but seriously, it's not at all new.  It's just part of such a long-lasting cycle that humans don't notice it happening, and we only notice now because of advanced technology.  Most of the talk about it IS hot air, but the event is very real.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook