Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next
3 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2012 - 11:15AM #41
lope

Feb 22, 2012 -- 8:08PM, johnacancienne wrote:

Feb 22, 2012 -- 10:48AM, lope wrote:

Feb 21, 2012 -- 5:43PM, johnacancienne wrote:

Feb 20, 2012 -- 5:20PM, johnacancienne wrote:

You want to honor your god? Do it by honoring people. It's just that simple folks.... And when people dishonors people by looking down their long noses, or taking the divine authority of determining what another's motives are, you dishonor people. Don't judge....... now that's a job all by itself!

Feb 21, 2012 -- 10:25AM, lope wrote:

This is a fairly good post, but compare it to your post number 17.

Tell me Lope.... Have you ever once been introspective? Have you ever considered your own lapses while whining about other's lack there of?

I don't dwell on such things as having to work for salvation, especially when there is nothing to be saved from. As such, my gods tell me to honor only what deserves honor. If you'll kindly take note, Lope, I said something about you showing honor to your god...... Seems like he's the one who craves it. And showing respect to man or god who has not shown himself worthy isn't in my battle plan.

So why don't you go back and take re look at a helluva lot of your own derogatory posts (which you'll no doubt deny ever having posted, as usual) and clean your own house?

Review your post quoted above--about not judging people.  You did the easy part--did the talk, now try to walk the talk.

You first. Show me a reason to give you some respect, and you'll get it. You could try to stop back peddling when backed in the corner. That'd be a pretty good beginning. You won't, and you'll whine about me bring it up, but I figured it was worth a try.

You refuse to take your own advise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 7:24PM #42
johnacancienne

Feb 23, 2012 -- 11:15AM, lope wrote:

You refuse to take your own advise.

Lope, my conscionsious is clear. I haven't complained about people challenging anything I post, no matter how reidiculous it seems. I manage to defend my position without resorting to backtracking, denying having said, or running to the mods telling them someone is "picking on me". Debate boards can be contentious, and quite frankly, you fail to grasp that concept. So you whine and complain bitterly about the so called abuse you have to take. May I take this opportunity to remind you that no one is forcing you to participate? That all being said, you need to evaluate yourself. 

As I said.... if you want to be treated respectfully, show some. As for myself, I don't care if you respect my beliefs, or my positions or not..... You are the one who seems to have that reacurring problem. No one respects someone who has no respect for them; and you do desire to be respected. I don't. What small measure of respect I have managed to gain here hasn't come by way of my demanding to being treated with respect, but by working to be as honest with my posts as possible and not accepting hypocracy as the norm. 

So, no..... I don't suppose my advice was meant for me. My advice was to be shared to you; but as with all free advice, there is no more cost to take it than there is to simply leave it. But you will discover the rewards worth the effort. Ball's in your court, Dude.

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 8:38PM #43
Seefan

Feb 19, 2012 -- 4:22PM, 57 wrote:

There seems to be a lot of posters here who feel that doing good works is what earns you salvation and entrance into heaven. 
It might lok something like this.....At the end God is going to put all your deeds on a cosmic scale and if it tips towards God...Phewwwww, wipes forehead, I made it. 

The question is, how much good works is good enough?  

How do you know if you works are good enough?  

Salvation mean to do the best you can with whatever skills, spiritual and physical, God has blessed you with on a daily bases.  Believing in a Name like Jesus or Baha'u'llah without working towards making His teaching a part of one's daily life gets nothing.  The only way one's deeds will cause the "cosmic scale" to shift towards God is if the deeds are done for purely selfless motivation, because it is the right thing to do to help humanity as best one can ...

Question: 

[1.]  how much good works is good enough?  ... as much as it takes to be the best one can be daily ...

[2.]  How do you know if you works are good enough? .... You never will know until we pass through the thin veil called death ... 

imho .....

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2012 - 8:41PM #44
Seefan

Feb 20, 2012 -- 9:55AM, Keyfer wrote:

I suspect that doing good deeds for the sake of reward rather than from love for others and God does not illustrate a saving faith. There is a difference between trying to earn "crowns" for the sake of ego and serving from a loving, grateful spirit. The former reveals a desire to have dominion over others and the latter reveals a desire to serve from a loving, humble spirit. ...

Thanks!  Well said .........

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 12:30AM #45
Keyfer

Thank you, Seefan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2012 - 9:04AM #46
Iwantamotto

2.]  How do you know if you works are good enough? .... You never will know until we pass through the thin veil ...

I'm beginning to lower my standards to the extent that if everyone on earth just helped make the world a better place just one time, we'd still see a marked improvement.

However, when I'm not being cynical, I guess "how many are good enough?" should be answered with "how many were required to solve the problem?".

It is said that if you give a man a fish, you'll find out he's allergic and he'll have to die because he can't afford the medical bill.

LOL, no, give a man a fish and he eats for a day and teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

However, did you make access to fishing (or inspire a group of others with more power to do so)?  Did you teach everyone to fish and there's only one small lake that will be drained of fish within a week?  What will those people do then?  Was the lake poisoned due to pollution?  Etc, etc.

I mean, some problems can be fixed simply.  "I need a couple of bucks for the vending machine."

"Here ya go."

Problem solved.

Some problems, however, require a lot of teamwork and a lot of effort to TRULY fix the real issue.  It's not necessarily about "who did more" (that is an ego trip).  It should be about "was the problem fixed?".

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 8:15AM #47

I suspect that doing good deeds for the sake of reward rather than from love for others and God does not illustrate a saving faith. There is a difference between trying to earn "crowns" for the sake of ego and serving from a loving, grateful spirit. The former reveals a desire to have dominion over others and the latter reveals a desire to serve from a loving, humble spirit. 

The Bible speaks of two judgements.   

One for non-believers and the other for believers.  They are two seperate events.  The first is the White Throne and the second is the Bema Seat. 

At the Bema seat the saved will be rewarded for their "works".  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 9:57AM #48
Kwinters

Feb 23, 2012 -- 9:45AM, Rgurley4 wrote:

Kwinters #36
... (how) which WORKS will be judged and
how (the judgments) are to be performed....

SEE:

1 Corinthians 3:10-15 (NIV)...Judgment of the BELIEVER'S WORKS
2 Corinthians 5:10

I don't think you believe Paul was a god, do you? So why put his words above those of the man you do worship as a god?

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 10:01AM #49
Kwinters

Feb 26, 2012 -- 8:15AM, 57 wrote:

I suspect that doing good deeds for the sake of reward rather than from love for others and God does not illustrate a saving faith. There is a difference between trying to earn "crowns" for the sake of ego and serving from a loving, grateful spirit. The former reveals a desire to have dominion over others and the latter reveals a desire to serve from a loving, humble spirit. 

One for non-believers and the other for believers.  They are two seperate events.  The first is the White Throne and the second is the Bema Seat. 

When will you deal directly with the rather explicit teachings on works and the kingdom of heaven as depicted in the gospels? (see my post 20)

Jesus had two dads, and he turned out alright.~ Andy Gussert

“Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions…for safety on the streets…for child care, for social welfare…for rape crisis centers, women’s refuges, reforms in the law.

If someone says, “Oh, I’m not a feminist,” I ask, “Why, what’s your problem?”

Dale Spender
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 3:11PM #50

Feb 26, 2012 -- 10:01AM, Kwinters wrote:

Feb 26, 2012 -- 8:15AM, 57 wrote:

When will you deal directly with the rather explicit teachings on works and the kingdom of heaven as depicted in the gospels? (see my post 20)

Why should I deal with your post? You have no understanding. 

In fact if your list is what you claim it to be...no one can be saved.  No one can be pure at heart with out God making your heart pure. 

So, please stop twisting scripture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook