Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Switch to Forum Live View Buddhism and Hinduism
2 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2012 - 3:30PM #141
williejhonlo

Sep 27, 2012 -- 5:16AM, Andrewebarnes wrote:

Hello everyone.

I must apologise for being away from the board for so long, especially after having asked a question that some were kind enough to answer and comment on. Very rude!

Some great thoughts and answers posted. Thank-you.

In response to the comments re: God.

In my understanding, there is a distinction in Vedanta between Brahma and Brahman. Brahman is the all-encompassing nature of, well, everything. There is nothing else. Since Brahman is everything, there can be no other, including 'creation' as in order to have something that is not everything means that everything is no longer everything. Brahma, on the other hand is the qualities of Brahman in a deistic form. Very real, but not the whole. Rather the highest expression of...

In Buddhism, Brahma is seen, if anything, as an illusion of man's creation.

To expand on my own, current position, the assumption that I was referring to Vedanta in my intial enquiry is correct. I would go further, indeed to say Advaita Vedanta, which I understand as being a non-dualistic approach. This, of course chimes with the Buddhist perspective but I am increasingly departing from the Buddhist schools in that I do feel that Atman and Brahma (and other individualised aspects) have a place in the cosmology.

I will be paying more attention to activity here going forward, so any further discussion much appreciated.

Metta

Andy

Brahma is the disputed agent for creation, he is infused with the the mode of passion. Brahman is the underlying reality ( consciousness )

In sanakaras Vedanta the material world is seen as an illusion but in other schools it is seen as something real.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2012 - 10:49AM #142
dio

seems to me subconscious is our underlying reality and consciousness is the illusion of reality.

seems all our pain is stored there, from where it occasionally pops up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook