Page 1 of 70  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 70 Next
Switch to Forum Live View That's Where the Truth is Found
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 2:02PM #1
Ben Masada
That's Where the Truth is Found

Not even in the Scriptures if we are unable to unglue ourselves from the letter. In an Allegory, for instance, which is the nature of the Genesis account of creation and the content of prophetic visions, almost every word or statement has a double sense, a literal one and a figurative one. The plain one, which is found satisfactory to the unlearned, no matter his agenda, is considered valuable, no doubt, but of the worth of silver. But the hidden meaning, which where the truth is, much more precious. Therefore, the figurative meaning bears the same relation to the literal one as gold to silver. It is further necessary that the plain sense of the phrase shall give to those who consider it some notion of that which the figure represents.

Think of a golden apple overlaid with a network of silver; when seen at a distance, or looked at, superficially, it is mistaken for a silver apple, but when a keen-sighted person looks at the object well, he will find what is within, and see that the apple is gold. The same is the case with the figures employed by prophets and thouse found in the Genesis allegory of creation. Taken literally, such expressions contain wisdom useful for many purposes, among others, for the amelioration of the condition of society; e.g., the Proverbs of Solomon and similar sayings in the literal sense. Their hidden meaning, however, is profound wisdom, conducive to the recognition of real Truth.

The Truth therefore is usually found in the metaphorical interpretation of the letter, which, sometimes, conveys the message of a myth. Hence, the charge of the sarchastic that the Bible constitutes a tome of myths. To a certain extent, it could be true, but for the unlearned who can't see beyond what the eyes of the flesh allow them to see. The Truth is in the archetype of reality. Consider the following point: How many times is 7 found in 77? The quick answer would be twice. Why? Because that's what we can see with the eyes of the flesh. Valuable per se, but of the worth of silver. The gold, though, is found in the metaphorical understanding that the letter points to: That 7 is found 11 times in 77. It can never be put down on the paper because it will no longer be 77. Why? Because the real truth is found only in the unseen realm of reality, perceived only by a developed Intellect.

Ben
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 2:09PM #2
Ken

Why should we believe that truth is to be found in Scripture whether it's interpreted literally or figuratively?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 4:32PM #3
Crowhed

I'd say if the literal 'silver layer' sense of the scripture is totally at odds with reality, then the allegorical 'golden apple' layer is probably twice as wrong.

Why would a god make it so complicated to understand what he wants?

“We are all without god – some of us just happen to be aware of it.” Monica Salcedo (Does anyone know who this is?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 5:42PM #4
Paladinsf

" Because the real truth is found only in the unseen realm of reality, perceived only by a developed Intellect."

And of course YOU have a developed intellect. The rest of us - not so much.Wink

The World is divided into armed camps ready to commit genocide just because we can't agree on whose fairy tales to believe.
The belief in supernatural religion will kill us all if we don't outgrow it.

When I first read "End of Faith" I thought Sam went too far. The more I read and listen to these "believers" the more I wonder if maybe he wasn't right after all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 5:44PM #5
teilhard

That is a Question that comes from a VERY Old Layer of The Tradition ...

Reportedly, The Lord Jesus The Christ of Nazareth was in Fact asked that very Question by His closest Disciples, and his reply was essentially, "So People won't understand ... " (!!!)

see: Mark 4:1-34 ...

Feb 13, 2012 -- 4:32PM, Crowhed wrote:

I'd say if the literal 'silver layer' sense of the scripture is totally at odds with reality, then the allegorical 'golden apple' layer is probably twice as wrong.

Why would a god make it so complicated to understand what he wants?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 6:46PM #6
Blü

Mark 4:25 -

For to him who has more will be given; and from him who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

Dear old Republicans!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 6:46PM #7
Knowsnothing

Ben, if it's through allegory that the ancients transmitted their wisdom throughout the centuries, then all religions are equally valid, provided they have something wise to say.

And, that doesn't really say much about God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 9:52PM #8
mountain_man

Feb 13, 2012 -- 2:02PM, Ben Masada wrote:

That's Where the Truth is Found

Not even in the Scriptures if we are unable to unglue ourselves from the letter. ...

What "letter"? If you mean some religious text, no, you will find no truth in any of those.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 10:28AM #9
Crowhed

Feb 13, 2012 -- 5:44PM, teilhard wrote:

Reportedly, The Lord Jesus The Christ of Nazareth was in Fact asked that very Question by His closest Disciples, and his reply was essentially, "So People won't understand ... " (!!!)

And those that don't understand go to hell. What an asshole.

“We are all without god – some of us just happen to be aware of it.” Monica Salcedo (Does anyone know who this is?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2012 - 10:59AM #10
Kodiacman

Feb 14, 2012 -- 10:28AM, Crowhed wrote:

Feb 13, 2012 -- 5:44PM, teilhard wrote:

And those that don't understand go to hell. What an asshole.

Crowhed,

What if you were to seek God with all your heart and see if God would not then give you His understandings and His enlightenments? What do you have to lose?

I do not see God as playing "hide the cheese" here, I see God as bringing each person who reads that text to a point of decision.....what will I choose to do? will I seek God and continue to seek God in an effort to gain His wisdom and understandings or will I just play it down and opt for the "curse God and die?" I know that is a stark description and it was written that way for a reason. I do not see that there is any middle ground, either one loves God and all the goodness that He embodies and promotes or one hates and abhors those things and this rejection of those qualities becomes embodied in the form of a curse and a bitterness that will result in death..of course these are my own opinions so take them with a grain of salt...

I understand that my argument does not leave for any wiggle room regarding how one may or may not feel about God, but I was not intending to create any "gray areas" of ambiguity.

blessings,

Kodiacman

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 70  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 70 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook