Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What kind of man was Josh Powel - religiously?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:41PM #21
Ironhold

Someone has some explaining to do.

Authorities in Washington recently received files from the authorities in Utah concerning the 2009 investigation.

It turns out that Powell's blood was found in the family home during the initial investigation, and what appears to be a hand-written letter was found indicating that she and her husband had had marital issues for an extended period, such that there was the likely prospect of an "accident" taking place.

The folks in Washington now want to know why no one moved to arrest, or even detain, Josh Powell sooner, as this would have been sufficient evidence (at least under Washington state law) to justify a murder prosecution.

So yeah - this kinda supports the prospect that Josh was under external pressure to end his marriage by any means necessary and that he might just have decided to resolve the matter by eliminating his wife.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 3:32AM #22
Theo

Wow, its hard to believe the Utah police had access to that kind of information and sat on it instead of, at the very least, naming Powell as the primary suspect. I would like to know more about their reasoning... albeit I am not going to hold my breath waiting for someone to explain anything like that away, now that the Powell boys are dead as a resuilt of their incompentence.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 3:22AM #23
moksha8088

Wonder if the District Attorney for Pierce County, Washington would also have proceeded to trial against Richard Ricci  in connection with the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart.  Sounds like he is a man of action who would have proceeded to file charges and request an arraignment.  Not sure how the court system in Washington works, but I assume a speedy court date would have been set.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 4:54PM #24
Ironhold

link

For those who are interested, the Today Show did an interview with Susan's parents.

In a nutshell, they suspect that she would still be alive had she left the marriage sooner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:45AM #25
Ironhold

link

There's a new report out concerning Steven Powell, Josh Powell's father.

It turns out that he called in sick for a two-day period the day after Susan went missing.

It also says that he's refusing to cooperate in the investigation, raising some questions as to just what he knows and isn't sharing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:13PM #26
wohali

Did you also ask what kind of man Timothy McVeigh was, religiously?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 9:37PM #27
Ironhold

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:13PM, wohali wrote:

You're still kinda new here, so I'll explain something to you.

To most critics of the church, if a Mormon is involved in something, it is automatically the fault of the entire church.

Hence Theo's whole "This wouldn't have happened if Susan wasn't Mormon!" rant a few posts back.

If anything, what we're looking at may well be an anti-Mormon hate crime, with either Steve Powell murdering his daughter-in-law in an effort to help "save" his son or Josh Powell whacking his wife to appease his anti-Mormon dad. I don't think Theo quite grasps that yet, hence his flailing so badly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 11:20PM #28
Theo

Iron:

Hence Theo's whole "This wouldn't have happened if Susan wasn't Mormon!" rant a few posts back.

For the record, that was your characterization of my opinion, not a quote or even a paraphrase of anything I actually said.

I simply recognize that Mormonism played a part in things as the Powell marriage fell apart. Apparently, Josh left the LDS Church, while Susan did not. The dynamics behind religious struggles like that pretty much guarantees the eventual end of such marriages - and for Josh, it meant that someday Susan would leave him and take the kids with her.

On a different note - I heard the other day that the Cox family is considering a lawsuit against the Utah Police Department, because of all the damning information they shelved while their grandkids lived in mortal danger from Josh Powell. I stand amazed that they ignored Susan's blood samples and DNA, a fan running in his home while Josh and kids were gone, drying the carpet and sofa, and a note from Susan in her locked safety deposit box, suggesting that if she disappeared, her husband likely killed her... all the while looking for her dead body and smoking gun. They had more than enough evidence against Josh Powell to arrest him and remove his kids from his custody, and at least, require strictly supervised visits - at a non-residence. But they let the ball drop - I feel like suing them too.  

Even so, I am wondering what others may think about the Cox family, (i.e. Mormons) suing a Utah Police Department staffed by mostly Mormon Police Officers?  

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 1:08AM #29
Habala?!

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:37PM, Ironhold wrote:

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:13PM, wohali wrote:

To most critics of the church, if a Mormon is involved in something, it is automatically the fault of the entire church.

Your view of the world is as twisted as the one you accuse "critics of the church" of having.

You generalize, criticize and judge, but you have a thin skin.

The sad part is that you don't seem to realize it no matter how hard Svet, Keb and I have tried to burst that bubble you're living in.

You must be real lonely living among all those non LDS Christians. Based on your posts here you seem to think they're all about ready to lynch you.

You recently posted something about what you think mainline Christians ought to do about the Westboro Baptist Church. Its absurd to think that they represent mainline Christianity at all. Most of that "church" are family members of the "pastor" Fred Phelps. Also, the wackos that hand out tracts don't represent the majority of Christianity either. Most of us, Christian or otherwise, think that they're WACKOS.

You blame the whole of non LDS Christendom for the idiocy of those on the fringe, yet when one finds fault with the church you accuse them of hating every Mormon that ever existed.

I don't know why I even bother. This has been explained to you over and over, but you just don't seem to get it.

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 3:04AM #30
Aka_me

Apr 5, 2012 -- 9:37PM, Ironhold wrote:

If anything, what we're looking at may well be an anti-Mormon hate crime, with either Steve Powell murdering his daughter-in-law in an effort to help "save" his son or Josh Powell whacking his wife to appease his anti-Mormon dad. I don't think Theo quite grasps that yet, hence his flailing so badly.

there has been absolutely no one...

at any point...

placing ANY blame on the Mormon church

it is BEYOND rediculuous to insinuate otherwise.

Josh is fully responsible for the actions.

the "possible" repeat possible explanation that has been hypothesized... is that he felt compelled by the forces trying to take his children.

now... search within the bolded sentence... and find mention of or blame on, the Mormon church.

can't do it, because it isn't there.

regardless of whether the people trying to take his children were blind, or Scientologists, midgets, or Jehovah's Witnesses, or albinos, or latino

or blind albino latino Scientologists...

IT DOESN'T FLIPPIN MATTER!

it doesn't relate. it has no bearing. there is no coorelation. there is no connection.

buzz buzz... that dizzy fly is wrong to even think he can be an annoying.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook