Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What kind of man was Josh Powel - religiously?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 7:53AM #31
Ironhold

Apr 6, 2012 -- 1:08AM, Habala?! wrote:

Your view of the world is as twisted as the one you accuse "critics of the church" of having.

I take it that you weren't around for Ain't-It-Aaronic, were you?

Within an hour of Mark Hacking being arrested, AIA was on the forums screaming his head off about how the Hacking case meant that the church was false; the dude had no clue what the church's actual teachings were, but wasn't going to let that stop him from flaming everyone.

So yes, it's happened before.

You recently posted something about what you think mainline Christians ought to do about the Westboro Baptist Church. Its absurd to think that they represent mainline Christianity at all. Most of that "church" are family members of the "pastor" Fred Phelps. Also, the wackos that hand out tracts don't represent the majority of Christianity either. Most of us, Christian or otherwise, think that they're WACKOS.

It's called "silent majority vs. vocal minority". It's a key issue when managing public relations for social and political issues.

In short, this is a situation in which a vocal, often radical, minority within a group is allowed to dominate the discussion because the mainstream majority stays quiet and does nothing.

My point was that if mainline Christians openly defied and opposed Westboro then perhaps they'd get the hint and pack it in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2012 - 12:07PM #32
wohali

Ironhold:

"You're still kinda new here, so I'll explain something to you."

I appreciate condecention as much as the next guy, but I'm hardly "new" here. Just because I haven't posted much on the Mormonism board doesn't mean I haven't been reading it.

"To most critics of the church, if a Mormon is involved in something, it is automatically the fault of the entire church."

To some critics of any group, bad behavor by an individual must be indicitive of that group. Mormons aren't particularly special in that regard, in either direction. Not long ago I had a Mormon fellow telling me how all Indians are lazy, stupid and get everything free from the government. 

Hence Theo's whole "This wouldn't have happened if Susan wasn't Mormon!" rant a few posts back.

Hence my questioning.........

If anything, what we're looking at may well be an anti-Mormon hate crime, with either Steve Powell murdering his daughter-in-law in an effort to help "save" his son or Josh Powell whacking his wife to appease his anti-Mormon dad. I don't think Theo quite grasps that yet, hence his flailing so badly.

Yeah, I'm sure that must be it. Anti-Mormons around every corner and underneath every bed.

But then, you are from Texas.............

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 11:16AM #33
li47

If anything, what we're looking at may well be an anti-Mormon hate crime, with either Steve Powell murdering his daughter-in-law in an effort to help "save" his son or Josh Powell whacking his wife to appease his anti-Mormon dad.

I don't think so. I doubt that the religious choices of any of the people involved had anything to do with Susan Powell's murder. Everything that I've read about this sad story points to a sociopathic husband, who was raised by a perverse, probably socipathic father. 

I don't think it would have mattered what Susan believed in - the fact that she wanted out of her marriage to this sick man is what led to her death, IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:10PM #34
Habala?!

Apr 6, 2012 -- 7:53AM, Ironhold wrote:

Apr 6, 2012 -- 1:08AM, Habala?! wrote:

Your view of the world is as twisted as the one you accuse "critics of the church" of having.

I take it that you weren't around for Ain't-It-Aaronic, were you?

Within an hour of Mark Hacking being arrested, AIA was on the forums screaming his head off about how the Hacking case meant that the church was false; the dude had no clue what the church's actual teachings were, but wasn't going to let that stop him from flaming everyone.

So yes, it's happened before.

You recently posted something about what you think mainline Christians ought to do about the Westboro Baptist Church. Its absurd to think that they represent mainline Christianity at all. Most of that "church" are family members of the "pastor" Fred Phelps. Also, the wackos that hand out tracts don't represent the majority of Christianity either. Most of us, Christian or otherwise, think that they're WACKOS.

It's called "silent majority vs. vocal minority". It's a key issue when managing public relations for social and political issues.

In short, this is a situation in which a vocal, often radical, minority within a group is allowed to dominate the discussion because the mainstream majority stays quiet and does nothing.

My point was that if mainline Christians openly defied and opposed Westboro then perhaps they'd get the hint and pack it in.

Other Christian clergy have come out and denounced Phelps. Plenty of lay members have as well.This reminds me of people complaining that no Islamic clerics came out and spoke against the events of 9/11. The fact is that plenty did, and when this was brought to people's attention they would move the goal post and say something about there not being enough of them speaking out. I suspect you will consider the same argument when you read the above.

Since you brought it up, what have you done to counter idiocy, hatred, and ugliness demonstrated by members of your own faith?

"When you walk, you might like to take the hand of a child. She will receive your concentration and stability, and you will receive her freshness and innocence." -Tich Naht Hanh
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:19PM #35
Ironhold

Apr 8, 2012 -- 10:10PM, Habala?! wrote:

Since you brought it up, what have you done to counter idiocy, hatred, and ugliness demonstrated by members of your own faith?

In the rare instances I've encountered it, I've dealt with the matter in the most direct fashion possible at the time, usually by dealing with the offender personally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 10:07AM #36
mecdukebec

Apr 8, 2012 -- 11:19PM, Ironhold wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 10:10PM, Habala?! wrote:

In the rare instances I've encountered it, I've dealt with the matter in the most direct fashion possible at the time, usually by dealing with the offender personally.

On Youtube, there are some fairly bizarre examples of LDS missie boys coming un-hinged around fundagelicals:  Usually some portly elder arguing and not doing much to picture himself as the other side of the coin of the intolerant, Bible-banging fundagelical; the singular difference being that the LDS elder has a BoM that he's toting, and slamming into the fist. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 7:00PM #37
wohali

I do have a question for my Mormon friends here:

Are Josh and Susan still "celestially married"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 10:33PM #38
Ironhold

Apr 12, 2012 -- 7:00PM, wohali wrote:

I do have a question for my Mormon friends here:

Are Josh and Susan still "celestially married"?

What most critics of the church fail to realize is that, at the time of the resurrection, people who have been greivously wronged by their spouses will have the right to tell them to go shove off.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2012 - 11:04PM #39
Aka_me

was she a member of the church when they were married?

seems like he become a member of the church at some point didn't he?

what was the whole timeline of events regarding meeting, marrying, baptising, sealing, etc.?

if she was a member BEFORE they were married...

then it's pretty hard to make any case of anti-mormonism, when he knew full well going into the marriage what he'd be getting.

The UN says the ebola outbreak must be controlled within 60 days or else the world faces an "unprecedented" situation for which there is no plan.
this is absolutely fantastic as it unites the world into being OUR problem rather than THEIR problem.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2012 - 11:50AM #40
wohali

Ironhold:

"What most critics of the church fail to realize is that, at the time of the resurrection, people who have been greivously wronged by their spouses will have the right to tell them to go shove off."

Well ironhold, I'm just one of those "Laminites" who is "new" here. I don't know if I reached the exaulted status of "critic of the church". I am curious.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook