Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Pope adding fuel to the divisiveness fires in the church?
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 8:06PM #11
hewy1952

Feb 9, 2012 -- 5:09PM, adamcro-magnon wrote:

Hewy, interesting note here.  Was this kind of ‘charitable’ correction something only found within the male community.  I recall that film ‘The Nun’s Story’ (Audrey Hepburn) - and how at one point (or am I mixing it up with something else) a sister prostrates herself before the community and exercises that charitable correction in the direction of one of her sisters.  Only a film, I know but did it really happen in convents too?

My point would be that such a ritual activity may very well, for all I know, achieve something within the strict confines of an enclosed community where there is not that multiplex diversity of roles so characteristic of the web of group affiliations in modern society.  But go to the parish where there is that multiplexity of roles etc., and I would not see so easily how such a ritual format, perhaps well suited to an enclosure, could really work.  I would see mayhem.

ACM

ACM:

Oh,no.  It was in convents (Chapter of Faults) and in seminaries/monasteries.  However, it was 'gender specific'.  No crossing of 'fraternal correction', probably for some pretty obvious reasons.

And the presentation in "The Nun's Story" was accurate.

It has worked--to some extent, with the notations I made about 'who owns morality'--in communities.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2012 - 9:54PM #12
jane2

Feb 9, 2012 -- 8:06PM, hewy1952 wrote:

Feb 9, 2012 -- 5:09PM, adamcro-magnon wrote:

Hewy, interesting note here.  Was this kind of ‘charitable’ correction something only found within the male community.  I recall that film ‘The Nun’s Story’ (Audrey Hepburn) - and how at one point (or am I mixing it up with something else) a sister prostrates herself before the community and exercises that charitable correction in the direction of one of her sisters.  Only a film, I know but did it really happen in convents too?

My point would be that such a ritual activity may very well, for all I know, achieve something within the strict confines of an enclosed community where there is not that multiplex diversity of roles so characteristic of the web of group affiliations in modern society.  But go to the parish where there is that multiplexity of roles etc., and I would not see so easily how such a ritual format, perhaps well suited to an enclosure, could really work.  I would see mayhem.

ACM

ACM:

Oh,no.  It was in convents (Chapter of Faults) and in seminaries/monasteries.  However, it was 'gender specific'.  No crossing of 'fraternal correction', probably for some pretty obvious reasons.

And the presentation in "The Nun's Story" was accurate.

It has worked--to some extent, with the notations I made about 'who owns morality'--in communities.

Hewy, ACM and y'all

In the early nineties I watched an Australian series THE BRIDES OF CHRIST on A&E here. The series concerned a teaching order of religious sisters and their students. It takes place in the Vat II era. As the series proceeds we are shown changes in the lives of the religious sisters and one incident portrays the phasing out of "the chapter of faults" by this order as they are modifying their habits, etc.

Brenda Fricker plays a cantankerous sister who resents all the changes. I first encountered Naomi Watts and Russell Crowe in the presentation. I like the picture of the Vat II years delineated in the series, which I own on DVD. I gave my VHS copy to our parish library when I re-bought the series on DVD.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2012 - 10:22AM #13
gilg

Feb 8, 2012 -- 12:22PM, WaveringCC wrote:

This is the LAST thing that is needed. From today's Tablet.

Pope calls for ‘fraternal correction'
8 February 2012

Pope Benedict XVI has urged Catholics to rediscover the ancient practice of "admonishing sinners" this Lent, saying it is a "dimension of Christian charity" because it is shows concern for the spiritual wellbeing of others.

"Fraternal correction in view of eternal salvation," the Pope wrote in his Lenten message, which was released yesterday, was "an aspect of the Christian life, which I believe has been quite forgotten".

I agree with the Pope and in the spirit of "Fraternal correction" let me admonish the bishops for participating in international child abuse and the people that enable the abuse or justify it such as bishop Egan who is rewriting history and posters that sometimes come here and still deny that the abuse took place..... 

Given that the bishops follow the pope, I expect we will soon hear bishops and priest "admonishing" the clique of abusers within Rome and elsewhere in the church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook