Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View RELIGION - SCIENCE & WRITTEN BELIEFS
3 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2012 - 9:23AM #1
river8101

I do have my own ideas about what I believe, but I can't speak for anyone else.  (Appears several posts on this thread have been deleted including the one I am answering).   Perhaps "whoever you are" refer to those who call themselves Messianics Jews though they believe in the NT.  Well, I suppose they can, but that doesn't make them Jewish.  It still makes them Christian believers.

I believe the ancient beliefs in God or gods began as an IDEA, and for some people it still is, although they that believe written beliefs are truths are mistaken.  The idea of all belief systems began to explain things that people did not understand or could not explain, especially birth, illness, death and thought.  Then the idea of all this led to the story that there was some kind of "force" that made it all happen, that is created all things. So this "force" was eventually thought of as a powerful god, that no one could see, but could do anything.   After a time,  this powerful god added many other gods and goddesses, a reflection of a human monarchy and accompanied these gods or god with lots of belief systems and strange happenings.  Over time, this main god, for various reasons put away all the other gods in various stories and myths,  though not all stories.  Some populations retained the auxiliary gods.

The stories and accounts of most all religious stories in various religious books have little to no proof at all, and most have no traceable evidence, which often doesn't even bother some believers of today.   Historians, philologists, archaeologists, scientists and anthropologists, as well as countless biblical scholars have searched and searched but found little to no evidence that most religious stories, dates, and accounts in the religious books were true.  In fact, they could not find any proof whatsoever, as many stories were down right implausible , immoral or fantastic, therefore a great many bible stories are very likey fiction, allegories and legends.   People can believe what they like, but believing a story is fact and true doesn't make it so.  And not believing doesn't make you a worse person than a believer.  Many of the meanist and cruelist people in the world were devout religious believers.   Pushing someone's belief on another person is immoral.

(After looking through this thread, it appears some posts were deleted, which may have caused this post to go off the track by answering a post that is no longer here.)

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 9:05PM #2
wohali

Hey River, what is it we are all not suppossed to believe?

I couldn't find it in your post...........

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 12:13AM #3
Bunsinspace

Feb 16, 2012 -- 9:05PM, wohali wrote:

BS"D

That would be explicitly the gods of the Middle East and all their subsequent derivatives (sons, daughters, half-human half-animals, giants, fallen angels, demons, whatever.)  These gods are destroyers of humanity from within.  They have served their respective purposes, some good and some evil.  Now they must be laid to rest for good or at the very least only considered for the good they can contribute to humanity and the rest of Creation IMHO.

There is neither sense nor heart in following a god which dictates the destruction of that which it allegedly created.  This absolute irony of this absurdity is echoed in the stories about the ancient flood from the Middle East.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2012 - 10:22AM #4
river8101

I first became interested in Greek mythology when I was about 10 years old.  My dad brought me home a big thick book called "A Wonder Book and Tanglewood Tales.  It totally captivated me!   I don't believe mythology are actually true stories, but grew out of ordinary accounts or legends which explained why things happened, and why people act as they do, etc.  The word psychology likely came from the Greek goddess of the soul, Psyche.  Today Greek mythology is taught and interpreted in most public schools and colleges as literature.

My first study of Greek mythology came in the 8th grade.   In college I took a course in ancient Greek civililzation as an elective, and another one in the 2nd year study of English Lit.  In those courses we had to interpret the  classical Greek myths and archtypes, as in the classics, forms of tragedy, comedy, written by Sophocles, Aristophones, Euripides etc. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2012 - 3:44PM #5
wohali

I believe in mythology.

As mythology.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2012 - 2:19PM #6
mainecaptain

River, I love that you had a special book shop in your life. We had a shop like that in this area for a few years, I became good friends with the proprietor until they moved away. It was my favourite place to be.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2012 - 11:32PM #7
Bunsinspace

BS"D

If one believes in an absolute supreme being then it is obvious that EVERYTHING is the fault of that which created everything and set everything into motion.  There is no escaping this fact.  A legitimate Creator makes both good and evil.  One who believes in a supreme being cannot blame anything on what has been created.  That is impossible IMHO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 11:34AM #8
river8101

Feb 16, 2012 -- 9:05PM, wohali wrote:

I'm assuming that when this thread was reconstructed, many posts disappeared.  Apparently mine was in the new construct, therefore  some posts and answers remained (such as the first post) and was from a post that was obviously deleted. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 12:04PM #9
river8101

Maine,

Yeah, the shop was lots of fun.  But so was all my music and the shows I put on with my friend. That was lots of fun, and we raised money for charities.  Also lots of fun showing my dogs, and driving to dog shows every weekend.  (especially when we won)  but you can see all that on Facebook and my gorgeous doggies. 

Added:  Hey Maine what happened to all the posts on this thread?  When I came here, I was confused.   Our posts  above seemed to come out of nowhere  LOL!  Thanks for such a kind post though. I appreciate it.   I hope I get to Maine this summer.  I'd love to come.  Gas is so high now, I don't know what will happen, and it depends on whether Tim can get a vacation too. But I really want to come.   Are you anywhere near a lake? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 1:40PM #10
mainecaptain

Mar 8, 2012 -- 12:04PM, river8101 wrote:

Maine,

Yeah, the shop was lots of fun.  But so was all my music and the shows I put on with my friend. That was lots of fun, and we raised money for charities.  Also lots of fun showing my dogs, and driving to dog shows every weekend.  (especially when we won)  but you can see all that on Facebook and my gorgeous doggies. 

I alway check out your pics of facebook. They are great. The dogs are gorgeous. The whole family are lovely. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook