Post Reply
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 3:14PM #11
Aka_me
Posts: 12,422

aftering trying it, definitely not for me. there never seems to be enough time in real life to be spending it escaping reality.


the idea of "creating false reality" for amusement runs counter to Buddhism (in my view) where the idea is to see beyond the illusion we call reality to find/understand absolute reality.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 9:27PM #12
Jazzdog
Posts: 6

Feb 5, 2012 -- 11:10PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:


Feb 5, 2012 -- 10:45PM, Ferretling wrote:


Feb 5, 2012 -- 4:04PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:


I always thought chan and zen were the same thing.  What is the difference?  I thought chan was the original, (from China) and zen was the Japanese counterpart?





In essence you're correct, Bob. I think there are a few regional and cultural differences, but Zen came from Chan and was brought to Japan.








K, just checking... it's hard to keep it all straight-also, I know chan isn't really original outside the context I meant, there is an Indian counterpart that would be the real "original", but I don't recall the sanskrit.




Hi Bob,


The original Sanskrit name for the school which turned into Zen/Chan is Dhayana. Bodhidharma is credited as the monk who traveled from India to China and founded the Ch'an tradition at the original Shao'lin Monastary in western China. Regarding Ch'an, there is no conflict between it and Zen, which was founded in Japan by Chinese Ch'an monks. The Chan tradition is responsible for one of my favorite sutras, The Sutra Of Hu'i Neng, who became the Sixth Zen/Chan Patriarch through great struggle and trials and had a profound insight into practice. Ch'an monks are noted for doing marathon meditation sittings- there is a lovely Ch'an monastary in Ukiah, CA called The City Of Ten Thousand Buddhas which does substantial work translating the Chinese Ch'an writings.


   One of the most famous Zen teaching koans (a case for study through meditation) is "Why did Bodhidharma come from the West(to China)?


Cheers- Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2012 - 10:21PM #13
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

Thanks for the information Jazz, I didn't know it was Bodhidharma. All very interesting :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 4:45PM #14
rideronthastorm
Posts: 6,050

Ive been consdiering weather or not to respond to this thread again or not. alot of times if I think im going to have to prove points these days or argue at all soemtimes Ive gotten to where I drop out,I dont feel well these days.


I have considered what youve said about 2nd Life and to put it bluntly yes it flies in the face of Budha simply just because its fantasy.As far a  fake self goes, well Beliefnet and the internet is fantasy as wellw e ll use fake names here so weve all got a fake self whenever we get on the net-2nd Life is connected to the internet that how you get on it its a part of the net.


However yall are right it is fantasy an escape and everything else.


However not everyone is in a situation to be able to deal with real life if theyre not physicalyl able too, we dont all the luxury of going to a Sangha or Temple or Uu church that has a sitting at it. not only do I not have transportation right now but Im not physically able to sit in a hard back chair so i have to take my meditation as I can get it.


Hopfully noone is judeging me here. But if you want to judge you might consider this. Your not me either and the hard reality is that sometimes people paths and reaily are so hard and harsh that sometiems fantasy to some degree is envitable and sometimes escape is. I jsut found out that my gynecologist has to take off work for abit next month and Im not getting my oepration untill 4-9 thats 2 months from now. Im going through alot of pain and thats hard harsh reality for me. I ahvnt been able to get on any narcotics either, I feel I need them but docters dont like to give those prescriptions these days too easily, too many drug addicts out there so i have to make do with very little on pain relief.


Considering the fact that my at home jon fundraising on the phone cant wait 3 months for me to go back ive decided to back to work at home even though i feel like crap and have also decided to get back on my diet and straighten myself out some too.I dont have the energy to cook so im allowing myself to live off of Subway and lowfat tv dinners but I am back on my diet. Its hard as hell for me to get up in the morning and live these days.Its gonna be 3 months or longer before I start feeling better.Id like to hope that meditation could help me some with my pain and maybe it will although I know most budhists say it shouldnt be used as an escape its just the best I can do right now.


Try lviing my life, I guarantee you you will use fantasy some sorry ,if that offends but its just the best I can make with right now. Maybe in the future after Ive had my operation and get a car or even if I dont get a car maybe I can get a ride and start going back to our Temple, thats definitly a goal, and I can say definitly yes a goal to get off of 2nd Life so much is there.


In the end I love 2nd Life because it gives those of us less fortunate who cnat get out like me who are sick a chance to go to temple or church , its a good thing. Id prefer the real thing like I said but still its a good deal I believe!


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 6:50PM #15
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

I think your point has merit Rider.  If my practice was strong, I would not use the internet for this purpose and likely not much at all.  In that regard, bnet certainly is NO different than 2nd life-except likely you get more enjoyment out of the latter-bnet is just annoying and pointless most of the time.



Glad you posted again, your point was worth the wait.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2012 - 9:50PM #16
Aka_me
Posts: 12,422

Feb 8, 2012 -- 4:45PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

Hopfully noone is judeging me here.



I don't think anyone here had judged you, just saying it's not my cup of tea.


I'll take CounterStrike where the simulation is based on shooting people... on the moralist scale it's orders of magnitude worse than 2nd Life's exploration and socializing.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2013 - 1:18AM #17
rideronthastorm
Posts: 6,050

Well its been a  year and Im in almost as bad off of a  situation if not worse now then I was last year when i began this conversation about to have my histerectomy. As a result of having my surgery i got an infection that lasted 4 months. I almost lost my life ended up in rehab for 4 months and now because of the surgery i have 3 hernias in my tummy and also I have bad arthritis in my back. im in worse pain now then I was before I began the surgery last year. Anyways their about to get me into pain management got an appointment and were trying to get me an appointment for a surgeon for hernia surgery so. So Im on 2nd Life again . Heres a picture of it here me on snowlion mountain Second Life


 


f1629.mail.vip.bf1.yahoo.com/ya/download...


 


My charector is Celest Vantelli Im at zen practice.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2013 - 2:58PM #18
Aka_me
Posts: 12,422

May 17, 2013 -- 1:18AM, rideronthastorm wrote:

im in worse pain now then I was before I began the surgery last year. Anyways their about to get me into pain management got an appointment and were trying to get me an appointment for a surgeon for hernia surgery so. So Im on 2nd Life again . Heres a picture of it here me on snowlion mountain Second Life



I'm sorry to hear that, I'll keep you in my prayers.

the only time it's perfectly legal to shoot unarmed black people is when you have cops to plant evidence for you... turning justice into a sham.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2013 - 5:33PM #19
rideronthastorm
Posts: 6,050

THank you! I hope to be able to maybe get out a teeny bit more if the pain management works maybe I can visit the Zen Temple i dont know but hopfully Ill be able to get into surgery and thatll help alot.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2013 - 5:38PM #20
rideronthastorm
Posts: 6,050

It eems like when i posted this earlier I talked one person or more into trying 2nd Life. Then tehy got angry frustrated after a week or 2 not being able to do with it what they could. As long as your computers fast enough i can get people on there.


 


 It takes while of taking tutor classes and talking to people to learn it however if anyone doesnt have the time for that and just wants to go to a Buddha class or Zen meditation session or Zen Class Dharma talk or something and you put your 2nd Life name up here I can let you know what times classes are and meet you at the right time.


Then Ill send  a teleport to you and bring you to my class that way you dont have to spend time learning a  bunch of stuff in 2nd Life as long as I can TP you I can bring you to the class if anyones interested ILl do that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook