Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hatred toward Islam, Who is spreading it and why
2 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2012 - 11:22PM #1
Miraj

A topical issue for this board if there was one.  Why is there so much willful misinformation being spread about Islam?  How is this campaign being funded and who supports it?

In addition to discussion, examples of media bias, hate speech and other means of demonstrating the issue are welcome on this thread.  It is a dialogue we need to have, especially for those who don't believe it's happening.  

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2012 - 11:45PM #2
rangerken

Max Blumenthal... He works for the progressive organization Media Matters for America. So he is a left wing, liberal activist. check him out thoroughly at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Blumenthal

Bkumenthal is a bright guy who presents his own agenda very well. that's a compliment by the way. I don't have to agree with someone's point of view (and I mostly disagree with Blumenthal on everything) to admire their ability to express themselves.

It's a great video, Miraj, and well chosen to support your position.

Ken

Conservative, Libertarian, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2012 - 11:58PM #3
Miraj

From the day of its inception, I was a die-hard, watch all day Fox News fan.  A couple of years ago, its anti-Islam trend was becoming too hard to watch.  My baby brother, Ki, a hard-line conservative Christian, asked me one day why I tortured myself in that way.  Didn't I want to watch networks that had people who looked like me and stood up for my rights instead? 

He was right.  I opened my mind up to aspects of the Left that are more concerned with my interests. They are not perfect, but they are not spreading hate about me either.

Disclaimer: The opinions of this member are not primarily informed by western ethnocentric paradigms, stereotypes rooted in anti-Muslim/Islam hysteria, "Israel can do no wrong" intransigence, or the perceived need to protect the Judeo-Christian world from invading foreign religions and legal concepts.  By expressing such views, no inherent attempt is being made to derail or hijack threads, but that may be the result.  The result is not the responsibility of this member.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 12:29AM #4
Miraj

This is a trailer from a Current Network production "Islamophobia".  I've seen the entire film.  It's pretty powerful.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 12:35AM #5
rangerken

Now that's a good point, Miraj. As a conservative and libertarian I absoluely cannot watch MSNBC without wanting to shoot the TV. I do prefer FOX, but CNN is OK too, for me. And I don't relate viscerally to things about religion at all, including my own...but then we Episcopalians are very rarely picked on.

It's important that we constantly separate Muslims and Islam from those who embarrass Muslims and Islam by actions that are just not Islamic. Too often, that does not happen.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 12:42AM #6
Miraj

The Terror Industry and Anti-Jihadism, Who Benefits?

Norman Finkelstein coined the phrase the “Holocaust industry” in his book of the same name, to describe the nexus of Jewish groups, lawyers, politicians, and communal leaders who enrich their power and pocketbook by trumpeting the anti-Semitism threat and causing anxiety and paranoia among world Jewry as a result.  As a result of Finkelstein’s acute analysis, he’s earned outrage and scorn from those in the Jewish community who he has skewered.

For the past decade or more, since the 1990s demise of the Communist “menace” and its accompanying gravy train, neocons have turned to terror as their new bogeyman.  A new Terror Industry has sprung up and it is populated with the usual retired generals (William Boykin), former government officials (Bolton, Gaffney), corporate opportunists (Aubrey Chernick), ideologues and intellectual heavy-lifters (Pipes, Horowitz, Podhoretz, Peretz, Kristol).  Just as the Jefferson’s tree of liberty needed to be fed with the blood of tyrants, so the Terror apparatus needs to be fed with new political fodder.

Such is the effort led by Jewish pro-Israel neocons to turn anti-jihadism into the Terror Industry’s new mantra.

Continued at the link.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 12:44AM #7
Miraj

Jan 31, 2012 -- 12:35AM, rangerken wrote:

Now that's a good point, Miraj. As a conservative and libertarian I absoluely cannot watch MSNBC without wanting to shoot the TV. I do prefer FOX, but CNN is OK too, for me. And I don't relate viscerally to things about religion at all, including my own...but then we Episcopalians are very rarely picked on.

It's important that we constantly separate Muslims and Islam from those who embarrass Muslims and Islam by actions that are just not Islamic. Too often, that does not happen.

Ken

Sure, but this thread is about systematic hatred directed toward Muslims and their faith.There are a lot of embarassing Christians and Jews behind that.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 12:55AM #8
Miraj
This is how you do it.  Bravo West Point cadets and the Pentagon.  The Pentagon also kicked Rev. Franklin Graham off the stage for the same reasona couple of years ago.  I live near the Air Force Academy and they've been more than a little clumsy about constitutional issues.

January 30, 2012

General Withdraws From West Point Talk

Plans for a talk at West Point by a retired general known for his harshly anti-Muslim remarks were abruptly canceled on Monday after a growing list of liberal veterans’ groups, civil liberties advocates and Muslim organizations called on the Military Academy to rescind the invitation.

Lt. Gen William G. Boykin “has decided to withdraw speaking at West Point’s National Prayer Breakfast” on Feb. 8, said a statement issued Monday by the academy’s office of public affairs. “In fulfilling its commitment to the community, the United States Military Academy will feature another speaker for the event.”

General Boykin, a longtime commander of Special Operations forces, first caused controversy after the Sept. 11 attacks when, as a senior Pentagon official, he described the fight against terrorism as a Christian battle against Satan. His remarks, made in numerous speeches to church groups, were publicly repudiated by President George W. Bush, who argued that America’s war was not with Islam but with violent fanatics.

Since his retirement in 2007 and a new career as a popular conservative Christian speaker, General Boykin has described Islam as “a totalitarian way of life” and said that Islam should not be protected under the First Amendment.

Last week, after learning that General Boykin would be speaking at the prayer breakfast, a liberal veterans’ group, VoteVets.org, demanded that the invitation be revoked. In a letter to West Point’s superintendent, the group said General Boykin’s “incendiary rhetoric regarding Islam” was “incompatible with Army values” and would “put our troops in danger.”

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 1:08AM #9
rangerken

I knew, and I suppose I could still say I know General Boykin. He was a fine soldier. His politics didn't affect things when I was serving. But later on, and well after my retirement in 1992, he got weird, in my opinion. I'm not a West Point graduate, but I don't think given his recent positions he's the kind of speaker who should address the Corps of Cadets. So I'm glad he won't be doing that.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 1:09AM #10
Miraj

Until he dropped out under questionable circumstances, Herman Cain was hero of the right in this season's presidential campaign. Nevermind that he has a bit of a problem with the US Constitution.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 19  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook