Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Darkness Surrounding My Spirituality
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 3:09AM #1
Daywatch
Years ago I gave up on trying to be spiritual. I used to have sleep paralysis and see ghosts. Overcoming those issues was the main goal of my spirituality. At the end, I found I could overcome them by losing interest.

So I don't bother them and they don't bother me. I've started thinking about and getting interested in spirituality again and it has called back up some dark dreams. I don't know why positivity and turmoil are so close together. I'm not sure what I should go to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 11:58AM #2
dio

I read of a Tibetan practice you might look into, dissipating demons. Developed by a nun. Can't remember her name or the name of the practice. If I can remember I'll post it. A good rule of thumb to start with is love yourself and everything about you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 6:40PM #3
Jazzdog

Dio, why would you assume they have a problem with demons? I'd be a bit careful about encouraging someone to jump into esoteric Tibetan practice without a teacher's guidance. Was this nun a Buddhist or a Christian? I get even warier of non-Buddhists attempting to co-opt Buddhist practices.

To address the original poster:

It can be very difficult to meditate when the thoughts that arise are not pleasant ones. One of the purposes of Buddhist meditation is to allow such thoughts to make an appearance in your conscious mind where they can be seen for what they are and ultimately disposed of. It takes courage to embark on the journey of finding out who you truly are. I am unclear as to whether you associate the sleep paralysis and bad dreams with having a spiritual practice or were trying to use a spiritual practice to get rid of the sleeping disorders.

You may want to talk with an MH practitioner at some point before starting a meditation practice. I wish you good fortune and healing.

Chevy

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2012 - 9:57PM #4
rideronthastorm

I get even warier of non-Buddhists attempting to co-opt Buddhist practices.

Why do you assume you cant be Buddhist if your Christian? i belong to a Mariah kannon Zen temple but havnt been in a long time but we had quite a few Christians there and they sold several books on Catholciism and Zen and the Zen Christians .

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 4:12AM #5
chevy956

Jan 28, 2012 -- 9:57PM, rideronthastorm wrote:

I get even warier of non-Buddhists attempting to co-opt Buddhist practices.

Why do you assume you cant be Buddhist if your Christian? i belong to a Mariah kannon Zen temple but havnt been in a long time but we had quite a few Christians there and they sold several books on Catholciism and Zen and the Zen Christians .

Maria Kannon is an actual Zen monastary with teachers who are part of the authentic lineage. They aren't co-opting anything from other faiths. Yasutani Dai-Osho, who founded the order which runs the monastary was a teacher of the highest order. I do make the differentiation between someone who practices Buddhist meditation techniques and someone who is a committed Buddhist. Attempts at Christianizing Buddhism leave me just as cold as Baha'i's attempting to do so. Sure, I heard about a Jesuit priest 30 years ago who used to give the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius Loyola in the format of a full weekend Zen sesshin. My feeling was "What's the point?" Zazen and the Exercises both deal with aspects of self examination, but god belief in Zen seems more of a distraction to making progress in one's practice.

My point about people who co-opt Buddhism stands, especially with the Tibetan traditions. A book by a nun (type ubspecified) talking about Tibetan techniques for removing demons sounds rather bizarre. There is a difference between applying meditation techniques to another spiritual practice and someone who may not be a Buddhist dispensing esoteric doctrine which is normally the domain of an experienced teacher.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 8:47AM #6
dio

Sorry if I offend, it was a Buddhist nun I spoke of, I am not an expert Buddhist and try not to give advice.  

My thinking is a discussion board is not the place to seek answers for serious issues. I come here for interesting discussion, If you have a real problem with demons proceed with caution.

Warning: my posts are only to be read by spiritually mature persons. These are only my opinions. If this thread continues I’ll share what I think about demons.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 2:30PM #7
chevy956

Dio said: "Sorry if I offend, it was a Buddhist nun I spoke of, I am not an expert Buddhist and try not to give advice."  

>>>>>You were assumng that the poster had an issue with demons, and attempting to give advice with no information and based on no knowledge of the person.

Dio: "My thinking is a discussion board is not the place to seek answers for serious issues. I come here for interesting discussion, If you have a real problem with demons proceed with caution."

>>>>>>What's the fascination with demons about?

Dio: "Warning: my posts are only to be read by spiritually mature persons."

>>>>>>Sorry, am I supposed to genuflect before or after I yawn?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 7:13PM #8
rideronthastorm

Chevy I shouldn've stepped in because this is a serious matter here and starting an argument about weather you can be both Buddhist and Christian at the same time shouldnt be discussed here nessarily, when this first poster is asking for help.

BTW for the first poster I am only a beginner in Buddha and so im not the person to listen too anyways. Im sure Chevys advice is right I  mean you seem pretty experienced and knowledgable so I have no argument for you.

Personally Im still finding my way. I was in a Christain cult for almost 10 years got out 12 years back. So the term Christian to me may not even mean the same to me as it does to you so im not sure what your refer to when you say you cant be Christian and a true pure Buddhist.I have not ever made it back to church yet not sure if I will. I only attend Buddhist services at 2nd Life the virtual reality world which is very informative I went this morning.I do believe in God, but Im not sure what I believe  what I believe as far as the Godhead and Jesus goes.So some people would maybe say im not even Christian, my head isnt completely clear as to what I exactly believe in Christianity. So its kind of a quick judegement to assume I cant be Buddhist or any religion at all when Im still getting my head on straight .

But maybe you wernt judeging me I dont know maybe Ive read too much into that.I can tell you this Im taking classes right now at a Buddhist Temple on 2nd Life in theraveda Buddha and Zen and Tibetin chanting which has been awesome. I listen to WZEN for Dharma talks quite often Zen radio on the internet quite often. With my complete histerectomy surgery coming up and the pain Ive been in my study at home means alot to me and I am quite VERY VERY serious about learning about Buddha, I turn to Dharma, I know I can turn inward to myself and to Dharma and its all Ive got. So please dont take me as a not serious person in Buddha, there are days that I struggle so much that my Buddha talks and classes are the most light that I have. I hope you can understand, thanks for being patient.

I apologize for disrupting your advice, I am just a beginner with very little knowledge so im not the one to come to for answers at all so I have no advice for this person so Ill just shut up and let you talk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 8:31PM #9
costrel

Jan 28, 2012 -- 6:40PM, Jazzdog wrote:

Dio, why would you assume they have a problem with demons? 

Probably because Dio read Daywatch's thread "Overcoming the Devil" over on the Discuss Christianity Board asking for advice about what Christians can do to overcome the devil and cause him to leave a person alone following conversion.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2012 - 9:50PM #10
Ferretling

Jan 28, 2012 -- 3:09AM, Daywatch wrote:

Years ago I gave up on trying to be spiritual. I used to have sleep paralysis and see ghosts. Overcoming those issues was the main goal of my spirituality. At the end, I found I could overcome them by losing interest.

So I don't bother them and they don't bother me. I've started thinking about and getting interested in spirituality again and it has called back up some dark dreams. I don't know why positivity and turmoil are so close together. I'm not sure what I should go to.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by dark dreams and turmoil, and what you believe the connection is to Buddhism?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook