Post Reply
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 2:13PM #1
Eudaimonist
Posts: 2,036
This TED talk (provocatively named Atheism 2.0) is about moving on from simply opposing religion.  The speaker basically says: "Of course there is no God. Let's move on. What now?"

  www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_atheis...

20 minutes runtime.  Comments?


eudaimonia,

Mark
     
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 2:19PM #2
mountain_man
Posts: 39,475

Jan 22, 2012 -- 2:13PM, Eudaimonist wrote:

This TED talk (provocatively named Atheism 2.0) is about moving on from simply opposing religion.  The speaker basically says: "Of course there is no God. Let's move on. What now?"


Gee... I never knew that Atheism was "simply opposing religion." All this time, I and most other Atheists, thought it was just a lack of belief in gods.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 2:37PM #3
Eudaimonist
Posts: 2,036

Jan 22, 2012 -- 2:19PM, mountain_man wrote:


Jan 22, 2012 -- 2:13PM, Eudaimonist wrote:

This TED talk (provocatively named Atheism 2.0) is about moving on from simply opposing religion.  The speaker basically says: "Of course there is no God. Let's move on. What now?"


Gee... I never knew that Atheism was "simply opposing religion." All this time, I and most other Atheists, thought it was just a lack of belief in gods.



Any comments on the video clip?


 


eudaimonia,


Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 3:06PM #4
JCarlin
Posts: 6,678

Interesting talk, but it seems to me that if you haven't embraced culture in all its manyfold aspects you haven't really given up on religion.  The "I don't believe in God" concept of atheism has a very religious feel to it.  In day to day living not believing in God is useless.  It is what you do each day to find meaning, purpose, inspiration, motivation, and social reinforcement that is living.  I don't need to look to religion for that.  Been there, done that, and there are better learning experiences everywhere else.  I would suggest a better goal would be to find atheism 0.0 which ignores God, gods and religion as useless and not worth worrying about either for or against. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 3:31PM #5
Eudaimonist
Posts: 2,036

Jan 22, 2012 -- 3:06PM, JCarlin wrote:

It is what you do each day to find meaning, purpose, inspiration, motivation, and social reinforcement that is living.



Absolutely.  The speaker would agree.  However, his point is that religions have successfully created cultural institutions that help people along in their quest to achieve those values.  This is where atheists are mostly lacking.


Thank you for your reply.


 


eudaimonia,


Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 3:49PM #6
farragut
Posts: 4,016

I think it would be good, Mark, to introduce Alain to the Fellowship of Reason. They are enjoying much of the benefits of which he speaks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 3:56PM #7
Eudaimonist
Posts: 2,036

Jan 22, 2012 -- 3:49PM, farragut wrote:

I think it would be good, Mark, to introduce Alain to the Fellowship of Reason. They are enjoying much of the benefits of which he speaks.




Yes, that would be great.  I just happened to have gotten the link to the lecture from the founder of the Fellowship of Reason, so at least the group is aware of Alain.


 


eudaimonia,


Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 4:03PM #8
mountain_man
Posts: 39,475

Jan 22, 2012 -- 2:37PM, Eudaimonist wrote:

Any comments on the video clip?


If he started with the strawman "Atheist=against religion" the rest probably isn't much better. It would seem to be just another rant against a strawman to make his own position seem better.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 4:50PM #9
JCarlin
Posts: 6,678

Jan 22, 2012 -- 3:31PM, Eudaimonist wrote:


Jan 22, 2012 -- 3:06PM, JCarlin wrote:

It is what you do each day to find meaning, purpose, inspiration, motivation, and social reinforcement that is living.



Absolutely.  The speaker would agree.  However, his point is that religions have successfully created cultural institutions that help people along in their quest to achieve those values.  This is where atheists are mostly lacking.


Thank you for your reply.


 


eudaimonia,


Mark




But I have found religion's solutions, at least the Abrahamic religions' to be bankrupt.  Their social solution is to follow the vuvuzela, their sexual ethic is mired in BCE, and the gender ethic is mired in Kinder, Küche, Kirche, and their education ethic is mired in Luther.  The music and art is good, when it is, only because of a long tradition of supporting music and art.  Genius goes where the money is. 

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2012 - 5:59PM #10
Fangi
Posts: 309

Religion is local.  You can find churches that have traditional/country/rock/no music, are welcoming or excluding or tolerant of GLBT people, will/won't tolerate female leaders, have a hierarchy or don't, and a whole laundry list of other particulars.  I decided not to "shop around" much myself (maybe I landed in the right place to start with), but it seems to me that religious institutions have too many local variations to generalize about their strengths/weaknesses.  An analogy might be the variation in colleges and universities:  someone might really be a great fit at Cornell but would fall apart at Berkeley, students at MIT might not learn how to write as well as at Smith.  But they all serve a similar purpose (education).


How would an atheist institution differ from Unitarian Universalism?  

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook