Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 8 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scriptures such as Numbers 5:11-22
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 7:45AM #71
Newtonian

Ed - goodtobehome is correct.   Of course, they could have interpreted Paul's words in a fanatical way - but they more likely simply considered that the time left was reduced:

(1 Corinthians 7:29) . . .Moreover, this I say, brothers, the time left is reduced. Henceforth let those who have wives be as though they had none,

1 Corinthians was written in 55 CE, 22 years from Pentecost, 33 CE and 15 years from 70 CE.

Of course, they didn't know the day or hour.

Mathematically 1 Cor. 7:29 is an absolute truth - problem is we know how much the time is reduced, but we don't know the total time from which this is reduced!

Do you know what Paul's latter comment meant?Surprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2012 - 1:45PM #72
Goodtobehomestill

But let me ask you this...is your above quote an affirmative to the one question that I have asked (now)three times: So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?

And I don't want to make it sound like I am 'accusing' you of anything, but for some reason, I can't seem to get a 'yes' or a 'no' answer from you regarding this question.---Ed

Not all questions can be answered 'yes or no.'  My answer has been, repeatedly, that they would have to live 'as if' Jehovah's day was near, or live with Jehovah's day in mind, to 'keep close in mind the day of Jehovah.'

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 2:48AM #73
Ed2

Mar 18, 2012 -- 1:45PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

But let me ask you this...is your above quote an affirmative to the one question that I have asked (now)three times: So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?

And I don't want to make it sound like I am 'accusing' you of anything, but for some reason, I can't seem to get a 'yes' or a 'no' answer from you regarding this question.---Ed

Not all questions can be answered 'yes or no.'  My answer has been, repeatedly, that they would have to live 'as if' Jehovah's day was near, or live with Jehovah's day in mind, to 'keep close in mind the day of Jehovah.'

Okay, I'll accept that. Although, however...the Bible had to give all Christians throughout the centuries the impression that Jehovah's day was near....even though it was not.

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 6:01PM #74
Goodtobehomestill

Mar 19, 2012 -- 2:48AM, Ed2 wrote:

Okay, I'll accept that. Although, however...the Bible had to give all Christians throughout the centuries the impression that Jehovah's day was near....even though it was not.

I'll borrow a point from Marken in another thread.

'just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more.'  Ps 37:10

Written millenia ago, and hundreds of years before Christ quoted from the same chapter. 

I think I recall reading however, that while Isaac Newton was interested in the 'end time' he did not perceive it to be very 'immediate' because he saw certain things needed to be fulfilled first.  I'll get back with you on a source quote for that. I think a person could still live 'as if' God's day were near, even if he knew it may well not come in his lifetime.

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 12:04AM #75
Ed2

Mar 19, 2012 -- 6:01PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Mar 19, 2012 -- 2:48AM, Ed2 wrote:

I'll borrow a point from Marken in another thread.

'just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more.'  Ps 37:10

Written millenia ago, and hundreds of years before Christ quoted from the same chapter. 

I think I recall reading however, that while Isaac Newton was interested in the 'end time' he did not perceive it to be very 'immediate' because he saw certain things needed to be fulfilled first.  I'll get back with you on a source quote for that. I think a person could still live 'as if' God's day were near, even if he knew it may well not come in his lifetime.

Now you're drifting away from the main point that we were discussing, which was summed up by what you had said in post #67:

A person would always need to live as if the Kingdom were 'near' or they would lose their focus, and live for self.  The temptation for that is just that great.

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 7:53PM #76
older

That is quite a distracion from the righteousness of only having Jesus as one's king and not a part of the nations.

Being a part of the nations means you are on Satan's side. Now I do not intend to relate all the side info about that account that you are using  as righteousness.

When Israel was taken caprive by the Babylonians, it was because they were honoring the Queen of the Heavens, now known in English as Easter. Say it all you want, that is what that holiday is , and you learned the  10 commandments. No other god does not mean you can honor another one and  insert the false idea that it was the resurrection of Jesus that is to be celebrated. Why the rabbits and eggs? The pagans celebrated the comnng of spring as having been resurrected. Will Christendom who teaches about the false ideas blended in, get treated any less  than Israel? I dont think so. I saw an image on TV a few days ago of crosses being  burned. There is a revenge awaiting . God will not protect the cross idolatry of Christendom. You dont look up when it came into use in Modern Christianity? I feel sorry for you, just as Jesus also did. He looked down upon Jerusalem and  said Jerusalem , Jerusalem, I wanted to gather you like a mother hen does under her wings but you do not want it.

The people who did not listen to Christ Just like today, they also do not listen to the brothers of Christ, namely Jehovahs  people , and those in Jerusalem suffered a terrible tribulation. All the nations that you  think is proper to defend will fall. Those who defended Jerusalem were those who did not listen. The disciples asked Jesus When did we see you.. and he answered in Math. ch. 25 , to the extent that you did it to these the least of these My Brothers You did it to me.

Your rightousness for the nation you live in, and do not take yourself out of, is what will suffer.

the unrightousness of the nations and those who support them caused the deaths of millions of people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 7:58PM #77
older

The people in the Exodus feared to be unfaithful. So did many in Israel.They feared the drinking of  the  special water if they were guilty. There was no punishment if they were not guilty. But how sad it is for a  woman to be unfaithful and the child never to know his rightful parent? Or to have a child that only has the discipline of a  mother with mommaitis. She thinks her child can do no wrong.

Family life is to  greatly respected.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 8:16PM #78
older

There should be no difference in how we live no matter whether it is emminent or far in the future. So what is the differnce  in knowing the End Times? It can be the time to flee. Time to flee to Gods kingdom, the hope of mankind, and be firm for his rule..not the defense of the nations. The bible indicates in Ps 110 that  when the end times  arrive he sends out his ambassadors  young and old men and women to reconcile people to God.It is a part of the end times.

Even now the arrows are being taken out of the quivers of the national groups. The arrows are the patriotic ones willing to give their life for the rulerships of earthly men, instead of living a life for Jehovah by following the commands of Jesus.

When Russia for instance went communistic, close to 5o million people starved to death while the communistic government sold the food  to other nations to buy war weapons. JWs refused to go to the meetings, and fled to the mountains and distant areas and kept on serving God, by teaching door to door as did the early christians. Russia tried to contain JWs by arresting whole families and sending them to Siberia work camps. At 1st they were treated  very badly, but in time they printed their own literture, taught even their guards  and worked. The camp was emptied after the war, and  out came many more jWs than went in. So all over Russia they were taken out of Russia as to loyalty. Today there are assemplies of thousands in Russia.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 8:21PM #79
older

Today our literature is printed in over 300 languages, and  billons of bibles have been printed. As a result the people can search the bible and know that Jehovahs kingdom is  here  as fortold in Eph. ch. 1. "At the full limit of the appointed times the God of heaven will set up his administration. " The end times ended in heaven for Satan, the conclusion of his system as described in 1Cor. 15 will go on and on until all is gone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 8:30PM #80
older

Jesus will rule until all authority has been brought under him. His rule began in heaven when he kicked satan to the vicinity of the earth. No more can he command  nations against  his people as he once did. They  wil win each battle as was once at Megeddo. The war began in heaven and  is still continuing, The final battle of Armegeddon will take place. I have seen all these terrible things in my lifetime so i am called OLDER. That genertrion has not passed away. My oldest sister is  almost 97 . She can still relate things in the bible. Jesus said that generation will not all pass away until all things( the many things listed  in Mt. 24 as the sign , have occurred. And they have occurred. And the good news of the administraion being established  at the full limit  is also known. The administration is educating people in how to  live under Christs kingdom. Same as in Exodus, they had to attend the  tent of meeting to learn the new laws thru Moses, but now the new laws thru Christ, And the  learning took 40 years for those in the Exodus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook