Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Scriptures such as Numbers 5:11-22
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 11:39AM #51
Knowsnothing

I have a silly question.  Did God create swords?

Genesis 3:24

After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 2:01PM #52
Goodtobehomestill

*** w94 2/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***
Adam and Eve saw turning in front of the angels something that was blazing. What exactly was it? By the time Moses wrote the book of Genesis, swords were well-known and used in warfare. (Genesis 31:26; 34:26; 48:22; Exodus 5:21; 17:13) So Moses’ words “the flaming blade of a sword” enabled his readers to visualize to a degree what existed at the entrance of Eden. The information known in Moses’ day contributed to the understanding of such matters.

“People are not disturbed by things, but by the views they take of them.”
― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:46PM #53
Ed2

Mar 9, 2012 -- 9:09AM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

the end time 'presence' culminates in the destruction of this system.  So the scriptures that speak of the 'presence' apply most fully to them.

What presence? Whose presence?

But they applied initially to the judgment of Jersusalem.  When the disciples asked for a sign for Jesus' 'presence and the conclusion of the system' he gave them a multi-faceted sign, and warned them not to be 'taking no note' as in Noah's day, but to 'prove themselves ready.'  So the Bible writers could speak of the 'presence' in their encouragement to prove ready for the initial fulfillment, as Jesus had answered the question about the 'presence' with this prophecy.

So you're saying that both the Bible writers and Jesus himself had Jesus' second 'presence' in mind when they were discussing the initial fulfillment of the sign....which pertained to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish system of things? And if so, please explain how that works.

So you're saying that both the Bible writers and Jesus himself had Jesus' second 'presence' in mind when they were discussing the initial fulfillment of the sign....which pertained to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish system of things? And if so, please explain how that works.

they would need to believe that the presence of the Lord has drawn close and that for “a very little while”...“he who is coming will arrive and will not delay” and that they were eagerly waiting for the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ?

But even after the destruction, after the initial fulfillment, the words to encourage Christ's followers to faithfulness and endurance were to be followed. 

They would need to live in expectation of the fulfillment of the promises, or else the human temptation to live for self would override their desire to 'be found spotless.'

Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

~Dr. Patrick Dowling, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 11/23/11.)

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:50PM #54
Ed2

Uh-oh. Beliefnet's software is duplicating some of the paragraphs(see my previous post)....which means that there must be a glitch in the Matrix. Wink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KmNZNT5xw

I think that it's pretty sad and pretty unbelievable that there are so many healthy, powerful, and healing foods that I have learned about from watching "The Doctor Oz Show"...but unfortunately, most Americans from their childhood on up, have only learned how to eat what is essentially equivalent to 'garbage'...and are basically in a 'slumber' when it comes to not having a clue as to what that kind of food is doing to their bodies and to their health. It's really sad.

~Ed2

"Hmmm. So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?"

~Ed2(See post #53)

"Although, I think that I'll change that to: Also...I liked the way that you dodged what I had said about being 'concerned that the Bible had to use subterfuge as a means to an end' in my post #137."

~Ed2(See post #145)

"It's utterly beyond belief, that the wealthiest country in the history of the world, fails to care for all it's people."

"If I could prescribe any drug on the planet, it would be food [be]cause it works better, faster, and cheaper than any medication. Food is the most powerful medicine we have...to treat chronic disease like diabetes."

~Dr. Mark Hyman, MD(From The Doctor Oz Show, which aired on 01/13/12. Also, go to www.doctoroz.com for more information.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2012 - 10:54PM #55
Ed2

Mar 9, 2012 -- 2:01PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Adam and Eve saw turning in front of the angels something that was blazing. What exactly was it? By the time Moses wrote the book of Genesis, swords were well-known and used in warfare. (Genesis 31:26; 34:26; 48:22; Exodus 5:21; 17:13) So Moses’ words “the flaming blade of a sword” enabled his readers to visualize to a degree what existed at the entrance of Eden. The information known in Moses’ day contributed to the understanding of such matters.

So then what really did exist at the front of the entrance of Eden if it wasn't "the flaming blade of a sword" as the Bible says?

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 5:30PM #56
Goodtobehomestill

Jesus gave a composite sign that had a dual application, for the 'great tribulation' that would befall the Jews, and for the time of the end, or the tribulation that precedes Armageddon.

(Matthew 24:3) . . ., the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”

So though the 'end time presence' wasn't going to be the same as the 'end of Jewish system' of things, the language used to refer to both events would be similar.

And would they need to believe 'the end was nigh?' 

They would need to live as if it were.

(2 Peter 3:12) . . .and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah, . . .

― Epictetus

Life is like photography, you need a clear lens, and the picture you get depends on what you focus on.

Anger stems from irrational beliefs about others, anxiety stems from irrational beliefs about yourself.---Spencer Lord, The Brain Mechanic
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2012 - 5:31PM #57
Goodtobehomestill

Mar 9, 2012 -- 10:54PM, Ed2 wrote:

So then what really did exist at the front of the entrance of Eden if it wasn't "the flaming blade of a sword" as the Bible says?

Something for which 'blade of sword' was the best literary equivalent, or that would give the best suggestion of what was actually there.Wink

― Epictetus

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 5:37AM #58
Ed2

Mar 16, 2012 -- 5:30PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Jesus gave a composite sign that had a dual application, for the 'great tribulation' that would befall the Jews, and for the time of the end, or the tribulation that precedes Armageddon.

(Matthew 24:3) . . ., the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”

So though the 'end time presence' wasn't going to be the same as the 'end of Jewish system' of things, the language used to refer to both events would be similar.

Hmmm. Well, let me ask you this: Why were Jesus' disciples asking Jesus about both the 'end time presence' and the 'end of Jewish system' of things?  

Mar 16, 2012 -- 5:30PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

And would they need to believe 'the end was nigh?' 

They would need to live as if it were.

(2 Peter 3:12) . . .and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah, . . .

But that's not answering the question that I asked you in regards to that. What I asked you was: So you're saying that for Jesus' followers(throughout the centuries) to truly live a 'godly' life, they had to believe that the end of the world was just around the corner?

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 5:39AM #59
Ed2

Mar 16, 2012 -- 5:31PM, Goodtobehomestill wrote:

Mar 9, 2012 -- 10:54PM, Ed2 wrote:

Something for which 'blade of sword' was the best literary equivalent, or that would give the best suggestion of what was actually there.Wink

And how do you know this?

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2012 - 7:51AM #60
Ed2

I have a few more questions from another thread

community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4... (post #113)

since I don't really don't think that Faith_on_the_March is a JW:

Isaiah 65:25a(NWT) says:

“The wolf and the lamb themselves will feed as one, and the lion will eat straw just like the bull; and as for the serpent, his food will be dust.

Therefore, I have two questions about this scripture...for anyone who would like to answer.

1)If these prophecies are literal, then why isn't verse 25a consistent since it uses symbolic language for the serpent?

2)Since serpents won't be literally eating dust in the new system, what would be your guess as to what serpents will eat in the new system?

~Ed2

~Ed2(See post #53)

~Ed2(See post #145)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook