Page 4 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The third noble truth
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 12:21AM #31
RenGalskap

Dec 10, 2011 -- 11:16PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Eastern Christianity is more like tensor analysis in this regard.

You mean it's difficult, requires rigorous training, and is beyond the reach of most people? ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 8:02AM #32
dio

Seraphim wrote:

" (1) Apatheia, in English dispassion.  This is the result of ridding the soul of the passions which lead to the seven deadly sins.

(2) Theoria, in English illumination.  This is the vision of God and the result of contemplative prayer.

(3) Theosis, in English divinization.  With is becoming through grace what God is by nature."

Buddhism has a step 2, after contemplative prayer meditation and practice in living comes awakening or illumination of spirit as perhaps more of God than the Christian image of God.

And Theosis when Buddha awakened he saw everything is within him. Christianity says it well as in "God became man so man could become God", but Buddhist oneness with all things is divine. I say Buddhist approaches the same goal as Theosis but approaches the goal by taking a portion of responsibility to claim it as their own, more than a gift from God we have a responsibility to fulfill (call it what you will) our divine nature.

Wake up live responsibly grow up naturally as God intended and one more stem is realize the image of God is not an individual but a male and female united as one in the image of God becoming one with another human being espoused. A single individual can only be half divine. It is not good for man or woman to be alone.

God is a verb, like everything in existence moving and changing, Paul’s insight, which I like was we can know the creator through the creation. (Rom.1:20)

Buddha saw God. He didn’t call what he saw God, he saw all things in himself illuminated and divine.

Supreme reality. Humanity's challange is to become aware of and live in and with others in supreme reality in harmony with the rest of the universe,  as ( belief statement) I believe we are meant to. I'm thinking something like original Karma.

Suffering has a beginning and an end. We suffer in the midst of absolute reality because of our ignorance, and prolong our suffering because of delusions and cravings. Suffering ends when we wake up and grow in original Karma like Buddha realizing the divinity within each of us. I believe many people have achieved this or have glimpsed it. There is no suffering there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 12:55PM #33
SeraphimR

Dec 11, 2011 -- 12:21AM, RenGalskap wrote:

Dec 10, 2011 -- 11:16PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Eastern Christianity is more like tensor analysis in this regard.

You mean it's difficult, requires rigorous training, and is beyond the reach of most people? ;-)

Well, yeah.  Fortunately it doesn't take mastery of tensor analysis to benefit from the technology, not that I can think of any from tensor analysis.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 12:57PM #34
Bob_the_Lunatic

Dio, just wishful thinking.   If he meant "God", he'd have SAID "God".

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 1:39PM #35
SeraphimR

Dec 11, 2011 -- 12:57PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

And here you and I are in total agreement.

I'd like to repeat a statement I read here on this board a while ago about any attempt to syncretize Buddhism and Christianity.

"Oil based paint is paint. Water based paint is paint. But a mixture of oil based and water based paint is not paint.  It is a mess."

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 3:18PM #36
Bob_the_Lunatic

Dec 11, 2011 -- 1:39PM, SeraphimR wrote:

I'd like to repeat a statement I read here on this board a while ago about any attempt to syncretize Buddhism and Christianity.

"Oil based paint is paint. Water based paint is paint. But a mixture of oil based and water based paint is not paint.  It is a mess."

Indeed Sera-complete agreement.  You like oil, I like water :)

But seriously-I have no beef with people making it up as they go-but they should be honest and give it a new name, not claim it to be one or both parts.  It's either Buddhism or Christianity, but cannot be both.  To do so requires they tranform one, the other, or both-at which point it's no longer what it was, but something new.... I don't follow the need for dishonesty.  Buddhism does not talk about a supreme being, nor does christianity talk about karma, PERIOD.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 7:28PM #37
SeraphimR

Dec 11, 2011 -- 3:18PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Dec 11, 2011 -- 1:39PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Indeed Sera-complete agreement.  You like oil, I like water :)

But seriously-I have no beef with people making it up as they go-but they should be honest and give it a new name, not claim it to be one or both parts.  It's either Buddhism or Christianity, but cannot be both.  To do so requires they tranform one, the other, or both-at which point it's no longer what it was, but something new.... I don't follow the need for dishonesty.  Buddhism does not talk about a supreme being, nor does christianity talk about karma, PERIOD.

It is not dishonesty that causes dio to find similarity where none exists but political correctness.  He operates a sort of affirmative action program for religions.  He has to find the Buddha as competent as Christ.

Now I'm sure the Buddha was a perfectly nice guy who came up with a technique to produce a sort of apatheia.  His little trick did not impress the spiritual heavy hitters of his native India, but it caught on in backwaters like south east Asia and Tibet.  These guys thought it really great and started promoting it as the ultimate truth.

Dio really believes that all religions are equally good and lead to the same goal, despite the obvious fact that they aren't and they don't.  So he subjects them to a Procrustean bed of politically correct spirituality until they sort of resemble each other in a mangled sort of way.

Such people also think themselves really clever and superior to the ordinary followers of religion because they can see the supposed unity.  People who flatter themselves in that way are beyond reach because they think they are deeper than everyone else.  The more you point out the problems, the more superior they find themselves.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 9:22PM #38
Bob0
Bob the L: I understand your frustration with DIO's posts. But...his posts speak for themselves. He seems to be allowed to claim anything he desires without supporting evidence. This is his suffering. No need to make it ours.

SeraphrimR: I have no knowledge whether DIO thinks of himself as clever or superior. If you feel the need to argue whether his knowledge of Christianity is authentic or made up I suggest that those posts move to some Christian thread where they would get a more knowledgeable and concerned audience.

SeraphimR: "Now I'm sure the Buddha was a perfectly nice guy who came up with a technique to produce a sort of apatheia. His little trick did not impress the spiritual heavy hitters of his native India, but it caught on in backwaters like south east Asia and Tibet. These guys thought it really great and started promoting it as the ultimate truth."

Your opinion is duly noted. But you are pushing the limits of tolerance and good manners.

Wishing you all small tranquil days.

Bob
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 10:01PM #39
Bob_the_Lunatic

Sera, you can babble about Jesus if you want, but there's no "christ" on this board, make a note of it.

Nobody here is impressed with a Jewish Zombie on a Stick-nor those who wish to avoid responsibility for their actions in this world by pimping said zombie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2011 - 10:33PM #40
RenGalskap

Dec 11, 2011 -- 7:28PM, SeraphimR wrote:

His little trick did not impress the spiritual heavy hitters of his native India, but it caught on in backwaters like south east Asia and Tibet.

Just a couple of points: It's often held that the reason for the decline of Buddhism in India was the incorporation of Buddhist ideas into the competing Vedanta framework. So apparently some heavy hitters were sufficiently impressed with Buddhism to incorporate parts of it into their own religions. And the second point is that China was hardly a backwater.

Dec 11, 2011 -- 7:28PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Dio really believes that all religions are equally good and lead to the same goal, despite the obvious fact that they aren't and they don't. So he subjects them to a Procrustean bed of politically correct spirituality until they sort of resemble each other in a mangled sort of way.
Such people also think themselves really clever and superior to the ordinary followers of religion because they can see the supposed unity. People who flatter themselves in that way are beyond reach because they think they are deeper than everyone else. The more you point out the problems, the more superior they find themselves.

I agree that Dio is misreading Buddhism. But I'm not aware of anything in his posts that suggests that he thinks he is cleverer, superior, or deeper than everyone else. I don't believe that you can make this generalization about syncretists in general. Religion does tend to attract people who are a little too full of themselves, and syncretism isn't immune to that. But to go from that to the claim that all or the majority of syncretists believe that about themselves is a bit of a leap.

Most Buddhists think that Buddhism is superior to other religions. Most Christians think that Christianity is superior to other religions. A syncretists who feels that they have been led to some mixture of beliefs from various sources thinks that their religion is superior to other religions. Generally, that's what humans believe about their own religion. If it's a fault, it's a fault that transcends religious boundaries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook