Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View In your opinions, is it right...
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:32PM #1
Bezant

...to wish harm on an enemy--provided you don't act on it?

It's human, but is it right, or wrong?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:37PM #2
Ken

Nov 9, 2011 -- 9:32PM, Bezant wrote:

It's human, but is it right?

Yes. And sometimes it's right to act on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:12PM #3
mountain_man

Why waste time, energy, and emotions, on something so useless? I have better things to do with my time.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:02PM #4
Bezant

If the question's a waste of your time don't answer it.

Thoughtful responses are of course welcome.

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 10, 2011 - 12:03AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 1:01AM #5
mountain_man

Nov 9, 2011 -- 11:02PM, Bezant wrote:

If the question's a waste of your time don't answer it..

I see your biases have gotten in the way again. The waste of time is in wishing ill on your enemies. I have better things to do than wish ill on my enemies.... if I had any. If someone sees me as an enemy, or considers themselves to be my enemy; that's their problem, not mine. I go about my business on my own terms, I could not care less what they do.

Now, try reading what I say, not what you want to read into it.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 10:36AM #6
mainecaptain
First you must define, who is the enemy? What makes someone an enemy?
Then other questions could be answered.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 10:37AM #7
F1fan

Nov 9, 2011 -- 9:32PM, Bezant wrote:

So I take it you aren't referring to a soldier in combat with the enemy, yes?  Who are you saying is an enemy?

It's human, but is it right, or wrong?

Depends.  In business your competition may be seen as an enemy.  If you have more resources than your competition you can set a strategy that puts them out of business, doing massive harm to that family.  Personally I don't see that as ethical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 11:00AM #8
Bezant

Nov 10, 2011 -- 1:01AM, mountain_man wrote:

Nov 9, 2011 -- 11:02PM, Bezant wrote:

If the question's a waste of your time don't answer it..

I see your biases have gotten in the way again. The waste of time is in wishing ill on your enemies. I have better things to do than wish ill on my enemies.... if I had any. If someone sees me as an enemy, or considers themselves to be my enemy; that's their problem, not mine. I go about my business on my own terms, I could not care less what they do.

Now, try reading what I say, not what you want to read into it.

You're right. I apologise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 11:29AM #9
mountain_man

Nov 10, 2011 -- 11:00AM, Bezant wrote:

That's OK, this is an awkward medium - and I could have been more specific.

For 10 years I taught REBT to people ridding themselves of a chemical addiction. Part of REBT is taking responsibility for your own emotions. Wishing an ill on someone would be allowing that person, or their actions, to cause my emotions. It's not healthy to let others take control of your emotions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 12:30PM #10
mainecaptain

Nov 10, 2011 -- 11:29AM, mountain_man wrote:

Nov 10, 2011 -- 11:00AM, Bezant wrote:

That's OK, this is an awkward medium - and I could have been more specific.

For 10 years I taught REBT to people ridding themselves of a chemical addiction. Part of REBT is taking responsibility for your own emotions. Wishing an ill on someone would be allowing that person, or their actions, to cause my emotions. It's not healthy to let others take control of your emotions.

Excellent, I agree MM

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook