Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gnosticsm - the thinking person's faith?
3 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2011 - 4:49AM #1
Lowerarchy

Personally I find Gnosticsm much more psychologically fulfilling than Christianity with it's awful gender imbalances. I'm surprised women ever become Christains at all - I mean, what's in it for them?

Big change is coming!

Moderated by Merope on Nov 04, 2011 - 01:14AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 12:25AM #2
SeraphimR

Nov 1, 2011 -- 4:49AM, Lowerarchy wrote:

Personally I find Gnosticsm much more psychologically fulfilling than Christianity with it's awful gender imbalances. I'm surprised women ever become Christains at all - I mean, what's in it for them?

Big change is coming!

You might want to consider the possibility that your surprise that women become Christians indicates an utter lack of understanding women.  Not a good sign for someone who thinks the Future is Female!, I dare say.

Women, in fact, are the most die hard Christians there are and form the backbone of many if not most congregations regardless of denominations.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 04, 2011 - 01:14AM
People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 4:23AM #3
Lowerarchy

I agree, nuns and other females may be die-hard Christians - but we've hardly been living in a 2000-year religious vacuum. There's nothing in it for intelligent educated women of the future.

The dominant religion has been taught in schools and reinforced in a million little ways. Art, literature and much music was largely religiously-inspired and funded (by the powerful to buttress their position) meaning there wasn't much alternative to the system promoted by the most belligerent of nations.

Christianity caused crusades, burned witches and reinforced patriarchy and paternalist ideologies. It is a strand of the male-dominated Abrahamic faiths.

Of course, churches now talk about love - but that's a recent development since the 1960s.

Christianity is part of the problem.

Let's move on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 3:38PM #4
SeraphimR

Nov 2, 2011 -- 4:23AM, Lowerarchy wrote:

I agree, nuns and other females may be die-hard Christians - but we've hardly been living in a 2000-year religious vacuum. There's nothing in it for intelligent educated women of the future.

I could introduce you to a number of intelligent, educated women of the present who find something in Christiantiy.  I don't see why that should change for women of the future.

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 3:53PM #5
Lowerarchy

Nov 2, 2011 -- 3:38PM, SeraphimR wrote:

I could introduce you to a number of intelligent, educated women of the present who find something in Christiantiy.  I don't see why that should change for women of the future.

As Groucho Marx might have said, 'That's the best offer I've had all day and I may well take you up on it!'

As religion is taught less and less in schools and most people do not visit church regularly, it seems likely that in future numbers of folk who consider themselves religious will surely drop.

We're so used to a male-dominated society, it feels like it's natural. But it's not.  The major religions were formed under different social and sexual relations. They'll evolve or die.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 5:27PM #6
SeraphimR

Nov 2, 2011 -- 3:53PM, Lowerarchy wrote:

As Groucho Marx might have said, 'That's the best offer I've had all day and I may well take you up on it!'

As religion is taught less and less in schools and most people do not visit church regularly, it seems likely that in future numbers of folk who consider themselves religious will surely drop.

We're so used to a male-dominated society, it feels like it's natural. But it's not.  The major religions were formed under different social and sexual relations. They'll evolve or die.

I would be happy to invite you to visit my church and introduce you to the congregants there.  Are you close to SE Pennsylvania?

I happen to believe that male dominated society is natural.  It certainly has been the norm throughout the world throughout history.  I think it is feminist oriented societies that are unnatural and will die.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 5:48PM #7
Lowerarchy

Nov 2, 2011 -- 5:27PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Nov 2, 2011 -- 3:53PM, Lowerarchy wrote:

I would be happy to invite you to visit my church and introduce you to the congregants there.  Are you close to SE Pennsylvania?

I happen to believe that male dominated society is natural.  It certainly has been the norm throughout the world throughout history.  I think it is feminist oriented societies that are unnatural and will die.

Thanks for the invite my friend - if I'm ever in your amazing country I'd love to say hello and shake hands. I live in the Midlands of UK, so we're far apart but still neighbours.

I'd rather be friends than argue so let's find things to agree about rather than otherwise?

I certainly don't blame honest people of faith for the mess humanity's in, but the leaders are another matter.

I attended Baptist church as a kid and sang in choir.

Tell me about your church and congregants.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 10:42PM #8
SeraphimR

Nov 2, 2011 -- 5:48PM, Lowerarchy wrote:

Nov 2, 2011 -- 5:27PM, SeraphimR wrote:

Thanks for the invite my friend - if I'm ever in your amazing country I'd love to say hello and shake hands. I live in the Midlands of UK, so we're far apart but still neighbours.

I'd rather be friends than argue so let's find things to agree about rather than otherwise?

I certainly don't blame honest people of faith for the mess humanity's in, but the leaders are another matter.

I attended Baptist church as a kid and sang in choir.

Tell me about your church and congregants.

I attend an Antiochian Orthodox Church.  The Orthodox Church in the US (and prob. Britain too) is rather confusing as all of the Orthodox Churches in Europe have a presence here.  The Antiochians are those Orthodox Christians which are led by the Partriarch of Antioch.  Ethnically, the Antiochians are Arab.

But there aren't many Orthodox Arabs in the US.  There are only two families in my parish.  So the Antiochian Church in the US is very convert friendly and about half of my congregation are converts and the rest come from other Orthodox Churches.  The theology and liturgy are identical in the various Orthodox Churches is identical, although different hymns are sung and the music is different too.

My parish is very talented musically and the choir will sing the hymns of the various Orthodox Churches in the different styles.  When the Bishop, who is the son of Syrian immigrants, came to visit they sung in the traditional Arab style.  And this was the only time I heard some of the prayers in Arabic.

The congregation is mostly middle to upper middle class and men of women of the various professions are represented.  Unlike most of the mainline Protestant churches, we have a wide spectrum of ages: infants, children, teens, married couples and single adults, and retirees.

We recently got a new priest who just graduated from seminary who is a convert from some sort of Evangelical church to replace a priest who was a convert from the Baptists.  This is both good and bad.  Convert priests tend to be more enthusiastic than cradle priests, but you can still detect some Protestant sensibilities leaking through.

Orthodoxy is a completely different minset from Protestantism.

----------------------

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 5:33AM #9
Lowerarchy

Thanks for the fascinating insight.

I'll be back after some reading.

Moderated by Merope on Nov 04, 2011 - 01:15AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 5:35AM #10
Lowerarchy

I am very interested in the differences between your faith and the more common Christain variants.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook