Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View been reading about the greek gods. Does your paganism have to do with Zeus and his brothers?
3 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2011 - 6:52PM #1
dio
been reading about the greek gods. Does your paganism have to do with Zeus and his brothers?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2011 - 10:24AM #2
dio

I have an idea western civilization is based on pagan principles norms and values. Like all our government buildings are Greek inspired, our college fraternities Greek inspired, institutions and laws Greek democracy Greek. The gods moved with as the lead of western civilization moved from Greece to Rome to Spain France Britain and America. So it seems the gods of Olympus are very much still alive in America and western civilization.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2011 - 9:46PM #3
Sacrificialgoddess

My gods are other gods. The folks who follow the Greek gods live on this board: community.beliefnet.com/go/forum/view/43...

There are probably folks from that board on this board, but you'll find the gods followed here are wide and varied.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2011 - 4:10PM #4
mainecaptain

Greek/Roman gods who have been squished together are hardly all Pagan gods. They are merely a tiny percentage of Pagan gods, beliefs and culture..

Anyone remember the Egyptian pantheon, the Norse, and many, many, many Others. We are not based on Greek. Influenced, of course, but we are influenced by many different cultures and beliefs not one.

Dio you need to expand your reading material. Just look at the days of the western week. They are named after Norse gods. NOT Greek.

Mine have nothing to do with the Greeks

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2011 - 12:14AM #5
gorm-sionnach

Oct 30, 2011 -- 10:24AM, dio wrote:

I have an idea western civilization is based on pagan principles norms and values. Like all our government buildings are Greek inspired, our college fraternities Greek inspired, institutions and laws Greek democracy Greek. The gods moved with as the lead of western civilization moved from Greece to Rome to Spain France Britain and America. So it seems the gods of Olympus are very much still alive in America and western civilization.

Funny, this is the approach Riordian takes in his "Camp Half-Blood" novels.

While there is a great deal of overlap between the Hellenic and Roman cultures, there are also a vast number of differences, likewise with other cultures. There will be overlap and similarities, but this does not mean they are the same.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2011 - 12:17AM #6
gorm-sionnach

Oct 29, 2011 -- 6:52PM, dio wrote:

been reading about the greek gods. Does your paganism have to do with Zeus and his brothers?

No, mine are the probable deities of Gaelic myth; though I find the Greek myths engaging, as  I do the Norse Sagas; they are not my stories, they are not my gods.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2012 - 1:24AM #7
Sistermadwolf

You left out the Divine Ladies such as Hera, Athena, Artemis, Aphrodite, Demeter, etc.

html_removed
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2013 - 10:26PM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje

dio:

You read too much. Experience is not a book! Get your hands in soil; plant a flower. Walk in a park. Swim in a river. View the Milky Way.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 04, 2013 - 1:40PM #9
mainecaptain

Feb 7, 2013 -- 12:07PM, river8101 wrote:

Good idea!  I once had a dream about a Goddess named Temered.  I never heard of her, and forgot the dream quickly, as I usually can't remember dreams.  But I remembered that name, and wrote it down.  I couldn't place any Goddess with that name, but at some point I fooled around with the letters and after a while it spelled Demeter, the Greek goddess of the grain and agriculture. I was puzzled, as I never heard the name, Temered before.   Demeter's daughter was Persephone who was kidnapped by Hades, god of the underworld.  But I think she could come back on earth in the summertime.  I remember stories that Demeter spent a lot of time trying to find her daughter.  Still wonder why I dreamed about her, and her name was hidden in the letters. 

Maybe she was calling to you. Just stopping by to say hello Smile

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
13 months ago  ::  Jul 26, 2013 - 5:19PM #10
river8101

Perhaps.  She was.  I have a statue of her in my office. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook