Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
3 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2011 - 11:22AM #1
Lilwabbit

Dear music-lovers,

Here's a small selection of inspirational music from different faiths, appealing perhaps more to modern Western sensibilities. Enjoy with an open mind! Feel free to comment, to dislike or to share your own discoveries.

Hinduism:

"Krishna" by Colonial Cousins.

"In the Light of Love" by Deva Premal & Miten.

Judaism:

"Jerusalem of Gold" by Gilat Rappaport.

Christianity:

"Arms Wide Open" by Creed.

"Here I am to Worship" by Philips, Craig & Dean.

"Baba Yetu" by Christopher Tin (The Lord's Prayer in Swahili).

Islam:

"I believe" by Irfan Makki feat. Maher Zain.

"Asma Allah" (Names of God) by Sami Yusuf.

"In every tear He is there" by Sami Yusuf.

"The Chosen One" by Maher Zain.

Bahá'í:

"Armed" by Devon Gundry.

"Create in me a pure heart" by Nabil M.

"God is Sufficient Unto Me" by The Bahá'í Chorale (with Persian santoor and orchestration).

My personal faves on this list are "God Is Sufficient Unto Me", "Asma Allah" and "Baba Yetu". (Yup, I'm not all that much into modern beat when it comes to inspirational music. I'm a bore!) By far the most powerful video is "Armed".

With kind regards,

LilWabbit

"All things have I willed for you, and you too, for your own sake."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 12:52PM #2
Lilwabbit

"Stand By Me" performed by street artists around the world (from the documentary "Playing for Change").

"Stand By Me" for Iran, performed by Bon Jovi and an Iranian artist Andy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 2:49PM #3
world citizen

Just finished watching "Armed" by Devon Gundry...  WOW!!  I've passed it along to a number of friends who might also not have been aware of it (I seldom visit YouTube).  Seeing "Krishna" listed in your post reminded me of one of my favorite George Harrison songs - "My Sweet Lord" from the All Things Must Pass album - back in the '70s.  :-)

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 4:03PM #4
Seefan

Here's one you may enjoy on YouTube dedicated to the Purest Branch ....

Hope you enjoy ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SOlkPXK5yk 

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 25, 2011 - 12:12PM #5
Lilwabbit

Oct 24, 2011 -- 2:49PM, world citizen wrote:

Just finished watching "Armed" by Devon Gundry...  WOW!!  I've passed it along to a number of friends who might also not have been aware of it (I seldom visit YouTube).  Seeing "Krishna" listed in your post reminded me of one of my favorite George Harrison songs - "My Sweet Lord" from the All Things Must Pass album - back in the '70s.  :-)

World Citizen,

I remember hearing that song as a toddler! By the way, my mom is a major former Beatles aficionado. :) (Though by 70s George went on his own down the hippie trail)

Seefan, that's a nice piece from S&D. Thanks!

Here's a lovely piece from South Africa by a Muslim artist Zain Bhikha:

"Who I Am" by Zain Bhikha feat. Abdul Malik Ahmad.

The following healing song and video by Sami Yusuf is also nice (more mainstream video though it is):

"Healing" by Sami Yusuf.

These are obviously not Bahá'í tracks, but who cares.

Best,

LilWabbit

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 3:23AM #6
Lilwabbit

Genre: Rap music / Hip-Hop

Christianity:

"Father Forgive Me" by Sevin.

"Prayin' For You" by Lecrae.

Islam:

"Only Ask Of God" by Outlandish.

"Aicha" by Outlandish.

Bahá'í:

"Oneness" by Nabil & Karim.

"Mona" by Nabil & Karim.

My personal faves on this list are "Only Ask Of God" and "Mona".

Cheers,

LilWabbit

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 12:22PM #7
world citizen

Lilwabbit ~

I remember hearing that song as a toddler!

You really know how to hurt a girl...  LOL!

Though by 70s George went on his own down the hippie trail

I recall it differently.  When the Fab Four went to India in 1968 after their psychedelic "Sgt Pepper" album, they met with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi.  Around that same time George had begun playing the sitar and jamming with Ravi Shankar.  Harrison returned from India dramatically changed.  He had truly embraced the writings of Sri Krishna, became a vegetarian, and was more introspective.  His music from thereon evidenced new spiritual awareness.  He wrote and produced the "Hare Krishna Mantra" the following year ('69), and was associated with the Hare Krishnas in England up until his death in 2001.

Blessed is he who mingleth with all men in a spirit of utmost kindliness and love. ~Baha'u'llah
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 1:07PM #8
Lilwabbit

World Citizen,

Thanks for your encyclopaedic insight into late G. Harrison. You know your Beatles, don't you? I take back my hippie trail trippin! (I feel thoroughly slapped around! ;) )

Speaking of late musicians, here's "We Are One" from the late Dan Seals. God bless his pure soul...

Best,

LilWabbit

P.S. Hey, I know you were just an amazingly precocious teenager throughout the 70s and 80s! You still are! :P

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2011 - 1:31AM #9
Lilwabbit

Oct 24, 2011 -- 4:03PM, Seefan wrote:

Hope you enjoy ...

Seefan, have you also heard "Kiss the Rope" from the same group Smith & Dragoman? And speaking of Mona, you are no doubt familiar with the 1980s track (and music video) "Mona With the Children" by Doug Cameron.

Best,

LilWabbit

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Nov 06, 2011 - 7:46AM #10
Seefan

Nov 6, 2011 -- 1:31AM, Lilwabbit wrote:

Oct 24, 2011 -- 4:03PM, Seefan wrote:

Hope you enjoy ...

Seefan, have you also heard "Kiss the Rope" from the same group Smith & Dragoman? And speaking of Mona, you are no doubt familiar with the 1980s track (and music video) "Mona With the Children" by Doug Cameron.

Best,

LilWabbit 

Yes LilWabbit, I've heard both songs.  I just put a YouTube version of "Kiss the Rope" on my facebook site.  The Doug Cameron's "Mona" was played alot on the radio when it first came out.  I remember when Doug Cameron came to our area to perform this and other songs.  Thanks for posting them and for the trip back in time ...

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook