Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 4:40PM #1
danman916
I'm surprised no one has yet posted about the indictment of Bishop Finn. Figured you'd all be dancing in the streets here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 5:00PM #2
danman916
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 5:22PM #3
WaveringCC

This news was posted by Hewy on a different thread.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 5:24PM #4
mokantx

Oct 14, 2011 -- 4:40PM, danman916 wrote:

I'm surprised no one has yet posted about the indictment of Bishop Finn. Figured you'd all be dancing in the streets here.

Dan

If you truly figured that way, then you truly don't yet understand why people here are angry and frustrated.

I cannot speak for others, but as to myself, I feel a profound sense of sadness, and yes, once again, a bit let down.  Where Finn may fall on the liberal/conservative spectrum has nothing to do with this.  I just posted on the "snap fails the test" thread, and I'll recap the germane point here:  At what point should society step in, when those in power fail in their duties, and on their promises, to protect children?  It's not a trivial question. 

I think the bottom line here however, is that because of how badly the current bishops, and their predecessors have handled this stuff, there is very little tolerance left anymore for continued mangling of the promises and duties.  The bishops have squandered the long-standing presumption that they would do the right thing in such cases.  Individually, I suspect/believe that most of them likely WANT to do the right thing.  But a problem presented to society by Finn's case is this: just how long do we, as society, continue with that as a presumption?  Again, that's not a trivial question, because the ramifications to the answer to that question run deep.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 6:27PM #5
quandampaupere

Guess what Dan? As one of the liberals on this baord, I took no joy whatsoever in hearing the news. The Bishop, as well as the diocese is entitled to due process and their days in court. But of course, the media will skewer both no matter what. For myself anyway, sorry to disappoint you. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 6:42PM #6
gilg

Gee, Danman,

You are inferring that unless one wants the criminal justice system to give the bishops a get out of card jail, then we hate the bishops and so we jump with joy when they get charged with a crime. You have it wrong. I’ve suffered hurt and shame because of what many of these men did to my Church. The sins of these guys, including the bishops that remain silent, affect not only the children that are raped but the whole Church and community too. Contrary to your feelings, I am glad Finn is getting charged for breaking a law, the criminal justice system is our last line of defense against the bishops and so I am glad they are finally doing their job. This is simply about prevention and justice, an old Catholic precept now out of fashion.

But, I am happy the DA is charging the bishop, this is Bishop Finn’s second time around a similar scandal and it is obvious he did not keep his commitment to take the necessary steps to protect children, he is making the same promises again, how many times do you want him to avoid
responsibility at the expense of children?

I hope he is convicted and that this sends a message all the way to Rome and Spain, i.e., the Vatican and Opus Dei. Most of all, I hope some jail time for the bishop will promote a return to being a church that protects the innocent.

I am sorry it displeases you that the bishop didn’t get a get out of card jail, don't lose hope, maybe he won’t do jail time or even pay a fine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 8:44PM #7
hewy1952

Oct 14, 2011 -- 4:40PM, danman916 wrote:

I would really prefer that you not attribute to me, that which motivates youl

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 9:44PM #8
jane2

From tonight's NYT online :

That report found that the diocese did not follow its own procedures. It also found that Bishop Finn was “too willing to trust” Father Ratigan.

The case has generated fury at the bishop, a staunch theological conservative who was already a polarizing figure in his diocese. Since the Ratigan case came to light, there have been widespread calls for him to resign.

Contributing to the sense of betrayal is the fact that only three years ago, Bishop Finn settled lawsuits with 47 plaintiffs in sexual abuse cases for $10 million and agreed to a list of 19 preventive measures, among them to immediately report anyone suspected of being a pedophile to law enforcement authorities.

The article is written by A.G. Sulzberger and Laurie Goodstein, hardly light weights.

www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/us/kansas-city-bishop-indicted-in-reporting-of-abuse-by-priest.html?hp

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 14, 2011 - 11:09PM #9
ted08721

A Forum -
Clergy Abuse Scandal in the Catholic Church

The
Crisis Continues

Sunday, October 23, 2011, 2 p.m.

Arlington Central Library

Large Meeting Room

(1015Quincy St., Arlington, VA 22201)

• In January 2002,
    the Boston Globe broke the story of previously unimaginable sexual crimes by
    clergy against innocent children, and the complicity of the hierarchy in covering-up
    these crimes.

The crisis continued…

• In February 2011,
    a Grand Jury in Philadelphia issued a second damning report of continued sexual
    crimes against children by clergy and their retention in active ministry in the
    Archdiocese of Philadelphia.  The Grand
    Jury indicted three members of the clergy and one lay teacher for sexual abuse
    of children and also indicted the Secretary for Clergy who reassigned abusers
    to new positions in the Archdiocese.

• In May, 2011, a
    priest in Kansas City was indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of taking
    indecent photographs of young girls. Bishop Robert Finn of the Diocese of
    Kansas City-St. Joseph has acknowledged that he knew of the existence of
    photographs last December but did not turn them over to the police until May.

Join other
Catholics in a facilitated discussion of their reactions and expectations as
they process the continuation of patterns of abuse and cover-up in our Church.

You will also hear the perspectives of a survivor, a
priest, and a Canon Lawyer following the discussion period.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2011 - 7:41AM #10
adamcro-magnon

Those committed to their faith, the devoted and devout laity, the pay, pray and obey brigade, as they are contemptuously called - even in the face of the nefarious Finn episode - I salute: they are lions led by donkeys.  Such odious and scandalous revelations concerning the beasts will not and never will dent their commitment.   And this says a lot for their faith but the direction?  Well, that is another matter, I suppose: it’s really up to the donkeys where they take us.  As for the bishop’s ass, I make no comment. 

Church officials, according to my BBC World Report (texted news on TV) have been accused of conspiring to destroy the evidence.  This cannot be an occasion for rejoicing.  How can it? 

Adam Cro-Magnon

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook