Page 1 of 35  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buddha's enlightenment / Jesus' kingdom of God on earth
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 10:24AM #1
dio
Does anyone agree with me that what Jesus experienced as kingdom of God world is the same as what Buddha experienced as enlightenment world?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 1:13PM #2
RenGalskap
Someone once pointed out that what religious mystics experience is determined by their religion. For example, Buddhist meditators don't experience visions of the Virgin Mary. So no, I don't believe that what Jesus experienced was similar to what the Buddha experienced. I believe that Jesus experienced something determined by the Jewish tradition of his time, along with his own experience and perceptions. In Buddhism, enlightenment is the insight that leads to the end of duhkha. That wouldn't have been very meaningful to Jesus.

I do see parallels between some of Jesus's ideas and some Buddhist teachings. For example, the parable of the leaven and the flour suggests a unity between the Kingdom of God and the world, paralleling the unity of Nirvana and Samsara taught in the Mahayana Buddhism I practice. However, this parable could just as easily be interpreted in a Gnostic way. Since the context doesn't support a Buddhist interpretation, the parable doesn't seem to me to suggest similar experiences.

Since I don't practice Christianity, I can't claim that it doesn't produce insights that lead to the end of duhkha. Perhaps it does. But if so, the paths and the experiences along the paths are clearly different.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 3:27PM #3
Bob0

What is meant by enlightenment world?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 8:18PM #4
dio

Sep 9, 2011 -- 1:13PM, RenGalskap wrote:

Someone once pointed out that what religious mystics experience is determined by their religion. For example, Buddhist meditators don't experience visions of the Virgin Mary. So no, I don't believe that what Jesus experienced was similar to what the Buddha experienced. I believe that Jesus experienced something determined by the Jewish tradition of his time, along with his own experience and perceptions. In Buddhism, enlightenment is the insight that leads to the end of duhkha. That wouldn't have been very meaningful to Jesus. I do see parallels between some of Jesus's ideas and some Buddhist teachings. For example, the parable of the leaven and the flour suggests a unity between the Kingdom of God and the world, paralleling the unity of Nirvana and Samsara taught in the Mahayana Buddhism I practice. However, this parable could just as easily be interpreted in a Gnostic way. Since the context doesn't support a Buddhist interpretation, the parable doesn't seem to me to suggest similar experiences. Since I don't practice Christianity, I can't claim that it doesn't produce insights that lead to the end of duhkha. Perhaps it does. But if so, the paths and the experiences along the paths are clearly different.

Thank you for taking my post seriously enough to respond. I sincerly believe Jesus and Buddha were experiencing the same reality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 8:20PM #5
dio

Sep 9, 2011 -- 3:27PM, Bob0 wrote:

What is meant by enlightenment world?

Does it make any sense to you Bob? What do you think enlightenment world might mean?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 10:17PM #6
Bob0

It's hard to tell if it makes any sense without some kind of definition of what you are talking about. It seems that you have made up the term "enlightenment world." So you would need to explain what you mean by this before I could tell you if it makes any sense to me.

Of course then we would have to figure out if we both had the same concept of what the kingdom of God was, but lets take it one step at a time.

Bob

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 3:15AM #7
Bhakta_glenn

Sep 8, 2011 -- 10:24AM, dio wrote:

Does anyone agree with me that what Jesus experienced as kingdom of God world is the same as what Buddha experienced as enlightenment world?

www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha135.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 4:40AM #8
Bhakta_glenn

Theravada Buddhism

The term 'Kingdom' is used as an emblem of righteousness, and refers specifically to the Dhammacakka Sutta [First Sermon of the Buddha], being an exposition of the Four Noble Truths.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 12:32PM #9
Bob_the_Lunatic

I would disagree.  Some Buddhisms would agree, the ones with theist undertones.  However, the big difference to me between Buddhism and Theism, including that which Jesus taught is the location of "enlightenment".

Jesus said it could not be found here, not until he returned and raptured everyone.  Thus when they (christians) die, they must "rest in peace" until the rapture.

Buddhism rather teaches that this "place" is in the mind.  It is found seeking within, not praying to a god outside the self and being reborn elsewhere or waiting for an external set of conditions to arise to allow to happen.

To me, the concepts are not only different, but mutually exclusive.  One is out, one is within.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 2:51PM #10
Jupiter6208
Didn't Jesus say the Kingdom of God is within you?
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 35  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook