Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

 
Post Reply
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 2:54PM #1
Jupiter6208
Posts: 2,483
What exactly is this  is this concidered Buddhism?
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 4:07PM #2
Bob0
Posts: 487

Google it and you will have your answer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 31, 2011 - 4:52PM #3
Jupiter6208
Posts: 2,483

I can't wait for the next person to ask me a question  I'm going to tell them to google it....

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 02, 2011 - 4:32PM #4
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

Looks real to me, I've heard of it, don't know much about it.  Japanese Lotus Sutra sect started during WWII. 


As far as "Is it Buddhism?"  Where you stand depends on where you sit.  Buddhism is a huge group of religions and philosophies from the objective, scholarly standpoint.  If you ARE a Buddhist you might consider those sects that contradict yours not Buddhist.  Especially if they differ with you on fundamentals.  So that question is not really simple but much more subjective I think.


 


Here's their web site: www.rk-world.org/whoweare.aspx

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2011 - 6:49PM #5
Aka_me
Posts: 14,464

Sep 2, 2011 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

If you ARE a Buddhist you might consider those sects that contradict yours not Buddhist.



all sects are as Buddhist as Buddhism CAN get.


question is how a person is supposed to select any one sect from among the other sects?


and if so-called "testing Buddhism" to see if it's real actually does amount to anything...


why can't the professional Buddhists (ie those getting close to nirvana, enlightenment, graduation from rebirth, etc) settle on a single sect by identifying that which IS true and eliminate that which is not true?


Buddha himself didn't even have Buddhism to study...


how is it possible for Buddhism to claim itself as necessary, when people SHOULD be capable of repeating what Buddha did in figuring it all out for themselves?


could Buddhism be a hindrence to it's own goal, when so much misinformation exists?

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2011 - 8:28PM #6
Aka_me
Posts: 14,464

Sep 2, 2011 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Looks real to me, I've heard of it, don't know much about it.  Japanese Lotus Sutra sect started during WWII. 



burden of proof is simply too heavy to be attempted?

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2011 - 3:07PM #7
Aka_me
Posts: 14,464

Oct 20, 2011 -- 8:28PM, Aka_me wrote:


Sep 2, 2011 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

Looks real to me, I've heard of it, don't know much about it.  Japanese Lotus Sutra sect started during WWII.



burden of proof is simply too heavy to be attempted?



just monologuing with myself.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 7:10AM #8
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

Oct 17, 2011 -- 6:49PM, Aka_me wrote:


Sep 2, 2011 -- 4:32PM, Bob_the_Lunatic wrote:

If you ARE a Buddhist you might consider those sects that contradict yours not Buddhist.



all sects are as Buddhist as Buddhism CAN get.


question is how a person is supposed to select any one sect from among the other sects?


and if so-called "testing Buddhism" to see if it's real actually does amount to anything...


why can't the professional Buddhists (ie those getting close to nirvana, enlightenment, graduation from rebirth, etc) settle on a single sect by identifying that which IS true and eliminate that which is not true?


Buddha himself didn't even have Buddhism to study...


how is it possible for Buddhism to claim itself as necessary, when people SHOULD be capable of repeating what Buddha did in figuring it all out for themselves?


could Buddhism be a hindrence to it's own goal, when so much misinformation exists?




A good point-your post for example is what I would call "misinformation."  For example-you've clearly made the assumption that Buddhist practice and  nirvana are like school, there is a graduation, and a steady or some kind of progression.  From my perspective this is completely wrong and "non-Buddhist."  There is no resting point in Buddhism.  There are 10 life conditions that one may have, and each of them contains all 10 life conditions (technically making 100 here)-the point is, that hell exists in Buddhahood and vice versa.  Life is dynamic, NEVER static.  My practice is literally called "never ending practice."


One's life condition changes moment to moment-one might have a major breakthrough in practice and reach a very high life condition... but the fundamental darkness of life slowly creeps back in, helping one create bad karma again, blinding the self to the true self again.... and next thing you know, you're right back where you were with only knowledge remaining (that the practice and lessons are true), the wisdom however, may be all gone.....  Getting the picture yet?  So the "professional Buddhist" comment, regardless of the sarcastic nature of it, is just misguided and based on an ignorant assumption-thus irrelevant, and meaningless.  


And again-just in case you are truly trying to learn from another human being...  As far as choosing sects, I'm sure everyone is different.  How did you choose to follow Bahai?  I myself practiced many things due to suffering-seeking a way out of the suffering other than suicide ya?  I tried many theist beliefs, pagan beliefs, and several Buddhist practices as well.  One changed my life, so I don't really feel it was a "choice" right?  No, there was no choice in it.  I don't think you can even choose passions, much less the most fundamental thing:  faith.  


I am passionate about old star wars figures for example.  I don't recall making the choice... no, a sequence of life events led to me feeling passionate-like seeing the original movie in a theater at 6 years old and so on from there, maybe it was the star wars curtains and sheets I had... maybe it was because all the other kids had so many more of the toys than I did?  Who the hell knows.  


I made certain choices-like to listen to this one woman-to come to her house, to learn how to recite the sutra and chant, etc.  And the night I took faith, I chose to quit doing the things I was doing, and practice Buddhism instead.  But the EFFECT of these things in my life is what led to me taking faith in this particular sect.  That part I feel I had no choice in.  It would be like me asking you "why did you choose to believe in gravity?" 


In answer to your last question, the only other respectful one I saw:  Perhaps.  But this is true with all things.  Theories compete and in the end, truth always wins and the false theories are revealed and refuted.  So while what you say is true, I would suggest perhaps you're just impatient and dismissive.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 8:31PM #9
Aka_me
Posts: 14,464

there are multiple kinds of professional Buddhist:


there's the Buddhist monastic because Buddhism is their full time employment.


there's the Arhat because of achieving high stages of attainment.


there's the Buddha because they've mastered everything, pure Dharmakaya.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 9:09PM #10
Bob_the_Lunatic
Posts: 3,458

I already addressed that.  If you want to be shallow, then anyone who does it as their primary activity in life is a "professional".  But I was speaking realistically under the assumption of a seeking mind, my bad, but I kinda figured...


Another Buddhist teaching some here might benefit from:  "Everyone can teach you something."


Because... once you stop learning and think you know it all, you're as far from Buddhism and humanity as you can be and you get stuck in a rut of arrogance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook