Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hi pagans, AQuestion for pagans, I have is do pagans believe they can get gods to do what they...
3 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2011 - 1:36AM #31
Bob_the_Lunatic

Aug 29, 2011 -- 8:02PM, mainecaptain wrote:

I can not speak for all Pagans. But myself and those I know fairly well have relationships with their deities.  Having an intimate relationship is not playing games like I'll give you a fifth of scotch if you do this or that.

We communicate, rather then pray.

As I said the gods are not puppets to be manipulated. Christianity always baffles me in this area, actually in any area.

Good point.  What really bothers me though: Is this christian tendency to give their god credit for ANYTHING good that happens, yet blame the all the bad on man (their sexist saying, not mine.

First of all-this idea devalues the good in humans, or at least their potential.  Rather instead-it suggests good things ONLY come from offerings to the Jesus-Jehovah sandwich (that the "good" can only come from their god, not man)-pretty psychotic, it's just a mental cage on the human mind that believes such drivel-just as they cage themselves by believing they cannot attain the greatest potential/happiness in THIS life, in THIS world; like the baby elephant chained-who still thinks that tiny chain cannot be broken as an adult-their minds are chained by these ridiculous and childish notions.

Second-it is completely inconsistent.  They have all kinds of semantical nonsensical garbage about free will (which of course must be mutually exclusive with an "all" powerful god anyway-or the will is conditional, not really free, OR the god is only "somewhat" powerful) but ultimately it's just an inconsistent argument.  In reality, with REAL reason-either their god is responsible for ALL of it, good AND bad, and we're really the puppets... OR their god has NO influence at all, and all these things they talk about, both good AND bad are the result of human behavior....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2011 - 5:35PM #32
gorm-sionnach

Bob, I appreciate that you're looking to further the discussion, but this is the "discuss Paganism" forum, and as such, discussing Christianity is considered off topic. Maine's glancing mention of it is one thing, but you're last post was little more than an invective directed towards Christianity. There are discuss Christianity forums for that...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2011 - 7:27PM #33
Sacrificialgoddess

I  have to agree with a desire to keep the "C" word off our boards...

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2011 - 3:15AM #34
Bob_the_Lunatic

My apologies.  May I plead temporary insanity and throw myself on the mercy of the court?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2011 - 7:48AM #35
Sacrificialgoddess

They do seem to take over everywhere, don't they?  Even when we try to keep the conversation on point, they sneak up and bash us over the head!

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2011 - 11:57AM #36
gorm-sionnach

Nov 30, 2011 -- 7:48AM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

They do seem to take over everywhere, don't they?  Even when we try to keep the conversation on point, they sneak up and bash us over the head!

Well it isn't called the hegemony for nothing...

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2011 - 9:35AM #37
river8101

One of the early posters on this thread asked a bunch of questions about paganism.  May I suggest a book that confirmed my interest in paganism years ago.  When I was looking around for a group, in fact I attended a group, we were told that Selena Fox of Circle and Circle Network News was coming to a college nearby to give a lecture.  In that lecture, which was great,  she suggested we read a book by Starhawk called The Spiral Dance.  I found a little bookstore that had it and bought it. Back then there were few good books on paganism.  Now I know there have been further editions, and I've read them, but I liked the first edition the best. As a neophite, it really hit me, and after that I knew where I was going.   I suggest it because if you are sincere about learning about paganism, buy the book,  and try and get an early edition if you can ...  which was published in the late 70's.  It should answer all your questions.

You're not going to understand anything about paganism on a forum with a few questions and answers.  It takes time.  If you like the book, there are lots of others.  Some good, some not so good. Some awful.   I had a bookstore for 13 years which was destroyed in a block fire.  It was a great store!  A beautiful store.  Anyway, maybe if you are really interested you might find one.  I suggest that you don't get involved with stores that promote channelers and high priced tarot card readers and psychics.   Those things don't belong in a store, and mislead many people.   Paganism is not all about magick.  It's about nature and our place in it. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2011 - 9:41AM #38
river8101

Maine - Mandy, you should join Don's Witch Club at Facebook.  Sorry get the names mixed up between forums!   Just go to News Feed.  It's on the left margin, click and there you are.  You'll find some of your friends from FB there too. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2011 - 12:50PM #39
mainecaptain

Dec 28, 2011 -- 9:41AM, river8101 wrote:

Maine - Mandy, you should join Don's Witch Club at Facebook.  Sorry get the names mixed up between forums!   Just go to News Feed.  It's on the left margin, click and there you are.  You'll find some of your friends from FB there too. 

Thank you, I'll look for it. :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2011 - 2:51PM #40
Sacrificialgoddess

Dec 28, 2011 -- 12:50PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Dec 28, 2011 -- 9:41AM, river8101 wrote:

Thank you, I'll look for it. :)

Me, too!  :D

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook