Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Hi pagans, AQuestion for pagans, I have is do pagans believe they can get gods to do what they...
3 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2012 - 5:45AM #41
river8101

I also agree.  Can we please keep C's and their proseltyzing off this forum?  

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2012 - 7:53AM #42
river8101

Wish someone here start a pagan thread at FB because there you can add pictures too.  My daughter in law just posted a gorgeous photo she took of the full moon dancing in the trees.  It was just after dawn.  I shared it on my Wall.  Take a look. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 10:24AM #43
river8101

Sep 1, 2011 -- 2:19PM, dio wrote:

I can agree reciprocity is a spiritual law. So is paganism based on knowledge of and guided by spiritual laws? There are indeed many so thus the need for many gods.

Is reciprocity the only law you follow or are there others, and does the god of reciprocity have a name?  

Anybody how many gods do you pray to?

I can't speak for others.  But we don't pray.  At least the way regular religions do.  We connect.  Can you understand that?  And I'm only talking about my form of paganism.   It does a dis-service to say to you that we do magick, because you probably don't really understand what magick is about. The kind of magick you hear and see in movies or on TV or read in fiction is not the same as what we do. We are not Satanists as many believe.    That is why I suggest you read a book written by a Pagan/Witch, if you really want to know.    Something you can easily understand.  After a few years of looking, one read of this book, The Spiral Dance, explained everything I was looking for.   It is a beautiful book, and easy to understand. 

"And as ye will harm none."   Never here that in a Christian prayer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 11:58AM #44
mainecaptain

I have tried to explain magick to outsiders for years. When you come from the "C" point of view it is near impossible to grasp it. Not because they are stupid, but because they seem to not want to understand.

I have brought it up on the CD board and caused all kind of interesting conversation Wink

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2012 - 9:35PM #45
Sacrificialgoddess

Mar 19, 2012 -- 11:58AM, mainecaptain wrote:

I have tried to explain magick to outsiders for years. When you come from the "C" point of view it is near impossible to grasp it. Not because they are stupid, but because they seem to not want to understand.

I have brought it up on the CD board and caused all kind of interesting conversation

Magic is the art of making stuff happen.  Wink

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2012 - 2:41PM #46
mainecaptain

Apr 15, 2012 -- 9:35PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

Mar 19, 2012 -- 11:58AM, mainecaptain wrote:

I have brought it up on the CD board and caused all kind of interesting conversation

Magic is the art of making stuff happen. 

Excellent and straight to the point. Tongue Out

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 2:40PM #47
Karma_yeshe_dorje

dio:

get gods to do what they want by worship and offerings

I am not of this opinion. I had an awful fundie boss, who would talk about "his saviour" like his slippers! To me, a deity is not a personal accoutrement like a coffee mug or a pet dog. Frown "Deity, fetch the newspaper!", is not my way of thinking. Such abuse is in my view, an insult!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2012 - 2:42PM #48
Sacrificialgoddess

Jul 10, 2012 -- 2:40PM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

dio:

get gods to do what they want by worship and offerings

I am not of this opinion. I had an awful fundie boss, who would talk about "his saviour" like his slippers! To me, a deity is not a personal accoutrement like a coffee mug or a pet dog.  "Deity, fetch the newspaper!", is not my way of thinking. Such abuse is in my view, an insult!

Ha!  Goddess!  Change the channel on the TV!

Karma, can  you imagine what the response would be?

*snickers*

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 26, 2013 - 5:03PM #49
river8101

Aug 29, 2011 -- 1:14PM, dio wrote:

Hi pagans, AQuestion for pagans, I have is do pagans believe they can get gods to do what they want by worship and offerings?

Some might believe that.  Others don't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 26, 2013 - 5:07PM #50
mainecaptain

Jul 26, 2013 -- 5:03PM, river8101 wrote:

Aug 29, 2011 -- 1:14PM, dio wrote:

Hi pagans, AQuestion for pagans, I have is do pagans believe they can get gods to do what they want by worship and offerings?

Some might believe that.  Others don't.

Depends on the god in question, and whether they want to do it. They are autonomous, one does not control a god, but one can make requests for assistance.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook