Page 4 of 18  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The stakes in Philly...
2 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2012 - 11:09AM #31
hewy1952

Jan 20, 2012 -- 8:37AM, cherubino wrote:

Somehow I missed this last October.

Quick!  Change the title!!!  Apparently it involves the 'steaks' in Philly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2012 - 4:39PM #32
StephenK.Adams

The following words are reprinted from Post #6.   They are the words of Bishop Chaput:

Although sin and failure "need to be named," he said, "when people deride their bishops and priests out of pride and resentment or some perverse desire for what they perceive as ‘power,’ they undermine the Church herself, and they set themselves against the God, whose vessel she is."

Myself:

I think the underlying reason for the Church's apparently blase attitude about the sexual scandals, is self-evident from Bishop Chaput's above words.   Since he believes that the Catholic Church is --- "God's vessel" --- for the Christian religion here on earth, no matter what faults or weaknesses that it's human representatives are guilty of, it is the duty of the hierarchy of this Church, which he is a representative of, to insure that this religion survives no matter what despicable behavior is happening at the present time.

I believe that they are sorry for the horror that they have caused, to God only knows, how many young children or adolescents, but they have a higher calling to save the Church from the potential bankruptcy that these unending claims are causing.   They leave me with the distinct belief that they think the Laity do not understand this higher calling and only they, the hierarchy, can see the larger picture and that their behavior is therefore justified.

On the other hand, I don't believe that they are God's vessel.  I think Christianity is just a superstitiously based religion whose ultimate rejection is inevitable.   The above words would still apply even if the Catholic Church had faced up to the truth in the first place and prevented this sexual depravity from continuing for --- God only knows how long.  Because they failed to do this, they deserve to be the first branch of Christianity to disappear.  Perhaps my prediction will not occur in the next one hundred years but, then again, it  might occur within a decade or two, --- who knows.   

We have nothing to fear except our lack of understanding of fear itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2012 - 5:47PM #33
cherubino

That sums it up very well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2012 - 9:55AM #34
mokantx

As to Philly, to nobody's suprise, this story isn't over yet.  Prosecutors have now charged the Diocese as being an undicted co-conspirator in all of this mess.

One of the more interesting sidebar comments to me, was the quote in the article:

"It doesn't sound like anybody had any control over anybody," the judge said.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2012 - 8:28PM #35
cherubino
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2012 - 6:11AM #36
quandampaupere

Trial court judge has recently ruled that Cardnial Bevelaqua is competent to testify at trial. The ruling came despite defense counsel objections claiming he is medically unfit to testify. Since he was deposed some time ago, it is a mystery to me why defense attorneys for Msgr Lynn would object to the testimony of the cardnial, as their position as best one can figure out is that Lynn was only doing Bevelaqua's bidding. Perhaps [pure speculation on my part] the written testimony [deposition] of the cardnial would indicate that Lynn was somehow acting on his own. At any rate, at a minimum, his deposition will now be admissable. 

Archdiocese of Philadelphia has been named an unindicted coconspirator.

Trial is scheduled to begin sometime in March, and may be most revealing in terms of how the internal affairs of the diocese historically run. A field day for bad pr for the Catholic Church in Philadelphia. National media attention will be intense. 

In the Book of Deuteronomy there is a plea, a precept, a command:

"Justice! Justice thou shalt do!"......Since the Roman Catholic Archdiocese does not give a damn about following that biblical injunction, perhaps the practicing and faithful Roman Catholic District Attorney who has the moral courage to persuing this process willbegin the process of making things right, and protecting innocent defenseless children. 

Sure as hell, at least in Philadelphia, two grand jury reports would indicate that the Catholic Church has not. 

Of course, I will be waiting for Chaput and company at some time in the future to say that the catholic church is being unfairly singled out, as he stated in Colorado.  It will play right into the theme of the hierarchy that the church is under attack.

Institutional Credability, anyone?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2012 - 2:05AM #37
quandampaupere

News media now carrying reports that Cardnial Bevelaqua has died. This may assist defense of Msgr Lynn if Lynn was going to be thrown under the bus by the archdiocese. If Msgr Lynn was in fact following orders of higher ups, it would certainly not be the first time that "The Church" has sacrificed an innocent party  or a less culpable individual for "the greater good".

As the matter of fact, throwing innocents under the bus is one thing in which "The Church" has lots of practice and expertise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 10:42AM #38
cherubino

Now Msgr. Lynn wants sympathy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 12:23PM #39
hewy1952

Feb 26, 2012 -- 10:42AM, cherubino wrote:

Well.  Just thank God Bevilacqua died.  Now we can REALLY bury him. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2012 - 12:45PM #40
cherubino

Feb 26, 2012 -- 12:23PM, hewy1952 wrote:

Feb 26, 2012 -- 10:42AM, cherubino wrote:

Well.  Just thank God Bevilacqua died.  Now we can REALLY bury him. 

More on Msgr. Molloy here.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 18  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook