Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can the Prophets contradict themselves?
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 2:14PM #1
Kalzera
Hello fellow B-netters! I'm primarily addressing this to those of an LDS persuasion, but anyone with insight should feel free to answer.

I've looked into the LDS Church intently, and continue to do so, but from the perspective of both a Bahá'í - someone who believes we should respect all religions and look for what aspects of the truth exist within them - and an academic/university student.

I've noticed that there are a few doctrines of the LDS Church that troubles the minds of most other Christians, such as God the Father and Jesus being deities of flesh and bone, the concepts of the Trinity being "Three Gods united in Purpose," etc.  

I'm generally wondering if the President of the Church, being a Prophet, has the ability to sort of "recant" these things, or change them. To Bahá'ís, our UHJ is infallible as an organization when it creates laws. However, it also has the ability to retract previous statements and "update" laws as cultural circumstances deem necessary. I'm wondering if a similar concept exists within the LDS Church, that President-Prophets of the Church have the ability to "correct" (or whatever euphemism might be used) previously revealed Church doctrine.

So, for example, could a President of the Church, at sometime in the future, say "Hey guys, as it turns out we actually believe in the mainstream Christian trinity?" Or "Hey guys, as it turns out God is actually incorpreal"? 

The major reason I ask is that the LDS Church has changed stances on polygamy and Blacks in the priesthood, so I'm wondering if it might reign in its theology to be more in line with the rest of Christianity as it continues to define itself as a "mainstream" and "Christian" church.

Thanks for your time in responding, and I hope nothing comes across as "offensive." Honest questions from a curious mind. And if this question has been addressed before, or if there are sites on the web that might answer it, I'll happily accept directions.  

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 5:22PM #2
moksha8088

Having a prophet means that updates and changes can occur through ongoing revelation.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 7:50PM #3
Ironhold

The reason for the changes isn't so much "fitting in" as "major changes in society have taken place."

For polygamy, the government was basically willing to commit genocide in order to wipe it - and the church - from existance. The church was seen as a threat to the way things were due to its large numbers and socioeconomic policies, and so the folks back East tried to get rid of it by any means necessary.

For the priesthood ban, blacks could hold the priesthood in the 1830s and 1840s, but the notion was so appalling to some groups of non-Mormons that mob violence struck the church's settlements in Missouri and hostile sentiment dogged the church wherever it went. But by the 1970s, the entire world was finally more accepting of blacks, such that Africa itself had largely gained the right of its own self-determination.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2011 - 8:49PM #4
li47

But by the 1970s, the entire world was finally more accepting of blacks, such that Africa itself had largely gained the right of its own self-determination.

Ironhold, I'm curious to know if the association between the priesthood ban being lifted and the end of colonialism in Africa that you've presented to us is something you've concluded based on your own understanding of the political climate of the 1970s, or if it's based on official statements from lds leadership tying the two events together. And if the latter, can you point me in the direction to see this for myself? 

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 12:25AM #5
Kalzera

Jul 15, 2011 -- 5:22PM, moksha8088 wrote:

Having a prophet means that updates and changes can occur through ongoing revelation.

I'm aware that some degree of change can occur; but I'm wondering if something as deep-rooted as theology can change. Even if, officialy, it can happen, I'm still curious as to whether or not there's some "unwritten" understanding that basic theological matters won't change.

However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end - Bhagavad Gita 4:11

"Knowledge is a light which God casteth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth" - The Four Valleys; Hadith
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 8:55AM #6
Ironhold

Jul 15, 2011 -- 8:49PM, li47 wrote:

But by the 1970s, the entire world was finally more accepting of blacks, such that Africa itself had largely gained the right of its own self-determination.

Ironhold, I'm curious to know if the association between the priesthood ban being lifted and the end of colonialism in Africa that you've presented to us is something you've concluded based on your own understanding of the political climate of the 1970s, or if it's based on official statements from lds leadership tying the two events together. And if the latter, can you point me in the direction to see this for myself? 

Thanks!

Take a look at the timeline of events in Africa.

Wiki map: dates of independence of the different African nations

By '78, virtually all of the modern-day nations in Africa had been freed from colonial control. The only state in Africa that's still a colony of someone else is West Sahara, which is nominally placed under the control of Morrocco (another African nation) because for all intents and purposes it has no internal governance structure.

This is something that not a lot of people make note of.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 11:27AM #7
li47

So, what you are saying is that that you yourself have concluded that there is a tie between the end of African colonialism and the end of the priesthood ban, though the lds church itself has made no such connection? At least officially or publicly.

Did I read that right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 6:41PM #8
Ironhold

Jul 16, 2011 -- 11:27AM, li47 wrote:

So, what you are saying is that that you yourself have concluded that there is a tie between the end of African colonialism and the end of the priesthood ban, though the lds church itself has made no such connection? At least officially or publicly.

Did I read that right?

I thought I made that pretty clear already.

Either way, we're still coming back to the whole "people really need to start connecting the dots of history in regards to the church" issue that I've been raising for a few years now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 6:53PM #9
Aka_me

according to revelation via the LDS church

God...

has never banned slavery or polygamy

God, merely gave humans the OPTION of not practicing polygamy, and never said BOO when slavery was practiced in the territory of Deseret.

it has only been the humans, who exercised their own free will to choose to change behavior, because the society in which they lived became more enlightened than the church leadership was doing for the membership.

the only conclusion one can draw is because God still condones both in the Celestial Kingdom.

if you don't believe the CIA controls the media, then it's only through WILLFUL ignorance of the information openly available to you. who shot himself in the head TWICE before a new book was released. the corruption is bleeping sick!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 7:13PM #10
li47

I thought I made that pretty clear already.

Not really, but thank you for doing so now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook