Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View The Law of Attraction vs. Prayer
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 8:42AM #31
davelaw40

Jul 8, 2011 -- 7:30AM, koolpoi wrote:

Does anyone consider Beowolf propaganda for any faith?So how does LOTR get considered as such?I haven't read (or heard of )the Simirarillian.Who wrote it?It doesn't sound like a compelling read.

the version of Beowulf we have was redacted with Christian trappings-but the original tale predates Xianity-

but it jwas only analogy to explain the different jlevels of complexity because its like Arthur -(the story of Christians and  their derring-do) the Simirillian has the same author as LOTR (JRR Tolkein) Hobbit was a children's tale / LOTR was intended to be a national epic

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 10:17AM #32
koolpoi

Jul 8, 2011 -- 8:42AM, davelaw40 wrote:

Jul 8, 2011 -- 7:30AM, koolpoi wrote:

Does anyone consider Beowolf propaganda for any faith?So how does LOTR get considered as such?I haven't read (or heard of )the Simirarillian.Who wrote it?It doesn't sound like a compelling read.

the version of Beowulf we have was redacted with Christian trappings-but the original tale predates Xianity-

but it jwas only analogy to explain the different jlevels of complexity because its like Arthur -(the story of Christians and  their derring-do) the Simirillian has the same author as LOTR (JRR Tolkein) Hobbit was a children's tale / LOTR was intended to be a national epic

I get the different levels of complexity idea but are you saying LOTR is both Xtian propaganda and a national epic?(Any nation in particular?)JRR's imagination must have been a very interesting place.I will have to read Simirillian sometime.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 10:27AM #33
davelaw40

JRR Tolkein was trying to create a British National Epic

Beowulf was too Scandanavian/ Germanic and Arthur was too French

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing