Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Law of Attraction vs. Prayer
3 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2011 - 9:07PM #1
koolpoi

Does the Law of Attraction demonstrate that God doesn't just respond to prayers or would Christians consider the positive thinking activities based on the Law another type of prayer?"Ask and it shall be given,seek and you shall find,knock and the door shall be opened" certainly sounds like the Law expessed differently.Is this another aspect of The Secret?For those unfamliar with it,the Law of Attraction states that like attracts like so, for instance, if you wish to be rich stop wishing and tell yourself that you are rich.It seems like a variation on the power of positive thinking but has attained a number of believers through Oprah and the book The Secret.Variations on it can be seen in "prosperity theology" which holds that Jesus wishes his followers to obtain material wealth in this life.This seems to have become a part of the theology of Oral Roberts among others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 9:46AM #2
newsjunkie

I read "The Secret," I"m sorry to say. It was a waste of several hours and I forget how many dollars. Far as I can tell, the Law of Attraction is a lot of hooey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 11:11AM #3
lope

Jul 1, 2011 -- 9:07PM, koolpoi wrote:

Does the Law of Attraction demonstrate that God doesn't just respond to prayers or would Christians consider the positive thinking activities based on the Law another type of prayer?"Ask and it shall be given,seek and you shall find,knock and the door shall be opened" certainly sounds like the Law expessed differently.Is this another aspect of The Secret?For those unfamliar with it,the Law of Attraction states that like attracts like so, for instance, if you wish to be rich stop wishing and tell yourself that you are rich.It seems like a variation on the power of positive thinking but has attained a number of believers through Oprah and the book The Secret.Variations on it can be seen in "prosperity theology" which holds that Jesus wishes his followers to obtain material wealth in this life.This seems to have become a part of the theology of Oral Roberts among others.

I don't agree with the prosperity theology.  Jesus said lay up treasures in heaven, not on earth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 3:18PM #4
JimRigas

There is also the Aristotelian proposition that to become what you want to be, just act as if you are already what you want to be.  So if you want to be brave, act like a brave man.  I supose if we were to apply it to money it would go like this: If you want to be rich, earn money as if you were rich!  (It definitely does not say, spend money as if you were rich.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 4:26PM #5
davelaw40

Does the Law of Attraction demonstrate that God doesn't just respond to prayers or would Christians consider the positive thinking activities based on the Law another type of prayer?

its not prayer at all-its white magic (craft)

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 9:20PM #6
johnacancienne

Jul 5, 2011 -- 4:26PM, davelaw40 wrote:

Does the Law of Attraction demonstrate that God doesn't just respond to prayers or would Christians consider the positive thinking activities based on the Law another type of prayer?

its not prayer at all-its white magic (craft)

That's odd, Dave. I was disappointed in it for the Christian overtones I saw in the book. So were a lot of my friends.

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 11:30PM #7
davelaw40

if you are going to sell the craft to nominal christians-it has to have a christian makeover

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 12:28AM #8
johnacancienne

Jul 5, 2011 -- 11:30PM, davelaw40 wrote:

if you are going to sell the craft to nominal christians-it has to have a christian makeover

Well it turned off a lot of Pagans just because of it.... Maybe it wasn't Fundi enough, but it sure as hell ain't white magic (black magic, or any other color inbetween).

Can we at least agree it's a load of crap?

It isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 12:51AM #9
davelaw40

Whats your opinion of Harry Potter?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 1:03AM #10
johnacancienne

Jul 6, 2011 -- 12:51AM, davelaw40 wrote:

Whats your opinion of Harry Potter?

Hollywood, Dave.... Nothing but Hollywood. What was your opinion on The Exorcist?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook